Reserve League News 2018/19

Radford 72

On 3/5/2019 at 1:54 PM, sevcozombie2 said:

funny thats what a couple of us were talking about ,i think an under 23 league would work better ,i read today so far this season rangers youth teams and reserve side have played in total 250 games against sides from outwith Scotland ,they have a best v the best policy ,granted it cost a fortune to do ,but the young players are all very good with every age group having Scotland players in them .for the rest up to u17s the set up seems good ,but after that its not, least when u had the twenty's the young lads who were good enough knew they could continue there apprenticeship like any other profession ,so now if saints did do away with the reserve team and depending on when your birthday is you may find some kids only get a one year deal as they can only play one year at 18s ,in my view if that did happen i would struggle to find a reason for saints to keep a youth academy .dont know whether  to blame sfa spfl or clubs for the mess ,but i will say some clubs do give youth a chance in there first teams specially at this time of season ,when i say youth i mean 16 to 20 .and i hope a decision is made very soon as loads of young players at saints are out of contract in 12 weeks 

Due to financial pressures linked to league position and first team budgets I would be surprised if there is a reserve team next year.

As there is little money in Scottish football I think we should go back to S signings where boys can play with their BC and go in a couple of nights training with a pro club.

Despite a lot of hard work and effort by the coaching staff, parents and boys like many clubs Saints are playing at having a youth academy. The chairman and manager are not interested, they only want to know about the first team.

Some of the boys who will leave in the summer have been there for 7/8 years missed large chunks of their schooling, family events and travelled 1000s of Miles to training and games.

And what about the kids being slaughtered on the touch line and name calling by parents who would not know one end of a pitch to the other.

Or standing on the touch line in Dingwall getting 5 minutes game team even though “results don’t matter”.

Or parents arguing in the house when their kid starts to doubt themselves and go off the rails/withdraw into themselves.

No shiny training/team kit and “being a pro youth” can make up for all of this.

I was one of these parents with the “pro youth” ego and although it kills me knowing my lad after 10 years in academy football does not want to kick a ball at a high level again, he has carved out another career path that makes him happy, making me happy.

Pro football is not the b all and and all.

It is linked to a brutal old fashioned profession with little employee protection and where everyone’s opinion counts, even though most don’t know wtf they are talking about.

Good luck to the boys and parents.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:20 PM, sasha said:

Due to financial pressures linked to league position and first team budgets I would be surprised if there is a reserve team next year.

As there is little money in Scottish football I think we should go back to S signings where boys can play with their BC and go in a couple of nights training with a pro club.

Despite a lot of hard work and effort by the coaching staff, parents and boys like many clubs Saints are playing at having a youth academy. The chairman and manager are not interested, they only want to know about the first team.

Some of the boys who will leave in the summer have been there for 7/8 years missed large chunks of their schooling, family events and travelled 1000s of Miles to training and games.

And what about the kids being slaughtered on the touch line and name calling by parents who would not know one end of a pitch to the other.

Or standing on the touch line in Dingwall getting 5 minutes game team even though “results don’t matter”.

Or parents arguing in the house when their kid starts to doubt themselves and go off the rails/withdraw into themselves.

No shiny training/team kit and “being a pro youth” can make up for all of this.

I was one of these parents with the “pro youth” ego and although it kills me knowing my lad after 10 years in academy football does not want to kick a ball at a high level again, he has carved out another career path that makes him happy, making me happy.

Pro football is not the b all and and all.

It is linked to a brutal old fashioned profession with little employee protection and where everyone’s opinion counts, even though most don’t know wtf they are talking about.

Good luck to the boys and parents.

sorry to hear about your sons experience and that he does not want to play at that level again and thats good he is happy with the path he is on ,pro youth is brutal but so was s form for many kids and if it did go to that then once again saints who have next to no players coming from Perth as the coaching  is brutal   and most teams are at a very low standard compared to most regions of Scotland. 

pro youth or s form is the pathway to professional football and kids have to grow up very quickly when they get to the higher age groups its like a continuous job interview and thats exactly what it is a job .

your also correct about some parents ,my lad has experienced being lied about  to Ali  Stevenson the thing is the parents were to dumb to know that we knew they were going to do it ,they only wanted there son to succeed  and would do anything to do it ,where i want all the kids to go as far as possible, if there not what saints want then saints will tell them   and you have to remember the lads that are older may be better ,but just because saints do not want them doesn't mean other clubs will think the same ,prime example Andy Robertson. and yes some decisions that coaches make baffle me to hell at times and it can be very frustrating .

as for no money you just need to look at other clubs to see the investment they put into their youth and how that is now starting to pay off the amount of 16 and 17 year olds who are playing first team football in Scotland through all the leagues is rising  specially in the spl .

the reserve league is a bit of a joke as there is not enough games  but if saints do get rid of it purely because they do not want to spend money then they are going to lose a few very good players who if given the chance could make saints a few good bob in the future .

maybe the manager should be told by the chairman he has to bring so many from the academy through to the first team as the club has invested in it for a few years now.

saints have invested more than usual this season on new players and they are not doing well so instead of bringing back players for the third time or guys in on loan ,why not use the guys that are have been there for years and all they want to do is play football and play  with no fear if Aberdeen ,Celtic,rangers ,etc can do it plus the top teams in England why wont saints  ??

so bottom line is saints should keep the reserves and look at it as an investment as the next manager saints have could be all about the youth and you also need a team for players coming back from injury or who are lacking match fitness and for selfish reasons so my lad gets another contract and so kids from Perth might get to play for saints without having to go to other clubs first to learn their trade like my lad had to do nearly ten years ago .

PS having shiny new strips or training gear and even team photos and reports on their on website makes them feel part of a club and it gives the young ones a boost again if its good enough for most other clubs ........... 

If the senior players were supposed to be pushing for a 1st team place , then they failed miserably.

MoH didn't look interested AT ALL..

Danny needed a ball to himself. Ran & ran with the ball until being dispossessed or flicking it to the opposition when cornered.

A pass to a better placed team mate was required but not forthcoming. 

Created no service for Hendry up front.

Mighty impressed with first look of left back Marky Munro.

Alston was a waste of a jersey and always appeared off balance when the ball came his way.

Sub John Robertson looked lively and at least had 3 shots on target, one within minutes of coming on.

Summing up- Dire.

Game was brutal. MOH was roasted by Cleland for not working hard enough. Last few games the reserves have done OK in difficult circumstances (Dunfermline was blowing a gale) with the young team playing. Clearly the fitness chaser for the first team is a waste of a jersey in this league. Also the young guys who need to put in a performance are let down by those around them not putting in the effort. Do we seriously think that the Partick reserves were a better side than a Saints team with 7 or so first team players? Thought Clelands post match interview was interesting "the young guys can see how difficult it is to get into the first team". If I was one of the young guys I would be chapping the door asking why I wasn't being considered if this is the standard.

10 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Is Maybury not in charge of the reserves?

Maybe because there was a high percentage of first team squad in the team ,Clelland was looking after them.

Either way it doesn't look good for rest of season.

16 hours ago, pringles said:

Perhaps we are missing Calum Davidson more than anybody realised has had significant impact at Dunfermline

Mate at my work who is a Dunfermline season ticket holder couldn’t agree more ,says they are a far improved team and not just defensively since the arrival of Calum.

i didnt make the game today and sods law the laddie started today ,saints had a young side out but as i said to him hes only started two games for the reserves ,some have only started a few more ,some have hardly played any games at all on a regular basis ,they are all so eager to play and to learn as it is a step up,but as one writer said on here when there is first team players who do not give a toss it makes it hard for the young players to learn from them ,and do not be surprised if the twenty s come back ,because this reserve league is that in name only ,and because of that name a lot off very good players will be lost at the end of the season ,but ive no idea if saints will have a team in for it