Reserve League News 2018/19

Radford 72

2 hours ago, 541ntees said:

Strong line up today leading 1 nil after 15 mins 

alston scoring

Following a corner on the right , the ball was partially cleared to Alston who slotted it through a crowded box into the net.

Roughly 15 mins. into 2nd half Murray Davidson chased a ball to the left of the goal and from what appeared like an impossible angle, fired an unstoppable left foot shot into the net.

Pretty scrappy 1st half , with Saints in little danger in the 2nd , until the last few minutes when the Ref. awarded Killie a penalty ,when a rising shot struck a Saints player on the arm at close range.

Killie scored from the spot , sending the keeper the wrong way.

Swanson was booked early doors for a high boot which caught his opponent on the upper leg.

Thereafter Swanson was fouled more than all the other fouls in the game , with the Ref. being rather lenient.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:53 AM, sasha said:

Has it been confirmed that there is no reserve team next year? Because their aint. Living the dream?

12 hours ago, sevcozombie2 said:

no reserves load of lads told today bye bye 

A shame, but its not exactly a surprise, we'd be better just sending those who we think can make it on loan and focus more on the age groups below it.

Not every kid is good enough. Youth players dont deserve senior games simply because they're young and come through our own system. TW has three home grown youngsters as first team regulars, and has given chances to many others, so clearly isnt prejudiced against the youth system.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

A shame, but its not exactly a surprise, we'd be better just sending those who we think can make it on loan and focus more on the age groups below it.

Not every kid is good enough. Youth players dont deserve senior games simply because they're young and come through our own system. TW has three home grown youngsters as first team regulars, and has given chances to many others, so clearly isnt prejudiced against the youth system.

So what do you do with the guys coming back from injury, part of the first team pool but not getting a start etc? You can train as much as you like but players need game time to reach match fitness and to keep focus.

I raised this at a meet the manager night when they did away with the reserve league East and was told they would arrange mid-week friendliest against English teams, I haven’t quite stopped laughing yet.

3 hours ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

So what do you do with the guys coming back from injury, part of the first team pool but not getting a start etc? You can train as much as you like but players need game time to reach match fitness and to keep focus.

I raised this at a meet the manager night when they did away with the reserve league East and was told they would arrange mid-week friendliest against English teams, I haven’t quite stopped laughing yet.

The reserve games aren't played at any tempo at all, its miles from competitive football. I'm totally unconvinced first team players get any sharper through playing in it.

I used to enjoy the Reserve league east games.

Is it perhaps the case that players get out of it in sharpness what they are prepared to put in. I ve only seen the reserves once this season and Motherwell won that 6-0. Motherwell started at a high tempo and had 3 or 4 lads with first team experience who all put in a good shift particularly in first half.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

The reserve games aren't played at any tempo at all, its miles from competitive football. I'm totally unconvinced first team players get any sharper through playing in it.

Random not quite sure what games you have been at. I was at the Saints Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell games with the reserves in recent months and would totally disagree on what i have seen.   

4 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Random not quite sure what games you have been at. I was at the Saints Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell games with the reserves in recent months and would totally disagree on what i have seen.   

I'm basing it solely on highlights on Saints Tv

So what is the development plan for the kids? U18s to first team if you are good enough otherwise your not playing your football at Saints? Even the highland league teams have at least an U20s side. If they are put out on loan then 1) someone has to want them 2) they will let other people develop the kids 3) how do they gauge progress. I think the real question we have to ask is why they are getting rid of it in the first place. I assume that if you are out on loan the other team picks up your £500 a month?

Very strange stance from @RandomGuy on this.

Unless Saints have some of plan in place, they are potentially creating a big problem in terms of development, as highlighted above.

It'd be nice if we got some sort of explanation for this decision and what the vision is but I won't hold my breath. 

You go to all this effort with kids from pre-teen up until they are 17 or 18 then they have to be good enough for the first team squad? If we are still running a development squad then who are they going to play games against?

Disappointing. 

Its death by a thousand cuts. Saints took ages last year to offer full time contracts to the young lads (June) and then only 2 were offered more than a year. Anyone who was offered a year contract has now been told they wont be kept on. I think this was to make sure they fielded an U18s team in the new setup. You cant complain about the SFA initiatives if you don't even subscribe. There was a lot of negotiation with the Finance team and even then it still took an age. You should see how long it takes for the young lads to be paid their expenses. Basically Saints will pay your wages if you are in the first team, otherwise anyone else who is fortunate enough to be full time will be loaned out  and funded by someone else. There will be a couple of token youngsters in the squad so that Saints can avoid criticism of not fielding youth and that will be it. Who will want to send their kid to Saints with this sort of pathway?

Are Saints the only club to have come to this decision?

Was talking to a Falkirk supporting friend, who agreed with me when it happened, that the biggest mistake they ever made was abandoning their brilliant youth academy.

They have now paid out for 2 full teams of players this season plus a new manager, have no youngsters coming through and are looking very likely to be relegated with the run in they have.

5 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Very strange stance from @RandomGuy on this.

Unless Saints have some of plan in place, they are potentially creating a big problem in terms of development, as highlighted above.

It'd be nice if we got some sort of explanation for this decision and what the vision is but I won't hold my breath. 

You go to all this effort with kids from pre-teen up until they are 17 or 18 then they have to be good enough for the first team squad? If we are still running a development squad then who are they going to play games against?

Disappointing. 

Is there still an U18/19 League? Once players breach that point chuck them out on loan or integrate them into first team training. 

Run with a smaller first team pool to correspond to that.

Reserve league doesn't improve anyone.