Reserve League News 2018/19

Radford 72

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

From what I have seen Alan Maybury is the main coach of the kids that are on full time contracts. There is also a full time sports scientist and another young coach. 

Ok. Thought we'd taken on Peter Beardsley for a minute.

However, if these guys do have genuine grievances with how the young guys have been spoken to then this has to be taken up with the club.

It's not the 70's anymore and it doesn't build character it's basically bullying.

i am reading some of the comments here and wondering if some off you actually read my posts ,so to Ali you got a watp for your comment about not taking advice from a rangers fan ,when i was trying to put over that after many successful seasons for saints in the top 6 winning the Scottish cup and getting into Europe  a good few of you see that as a fluke and your in the exact position you all think the club should be and your happy with this ,also that im subconsciously bitter about my son being released thats why im ranting about it ,there was also a comment about me only saying this now about a coach because hes been released ,believe me if i met you in a pub or anywhere id have told u all long before now ,the reason i mentioned it yesterday is because of what happened yesterday after the reserve game and with some of the comments on here i just thought enough is enough .

so here is the bottom line my son is being released because saints are not putting a reserve side in and he and i both accept this ,what i do not understand is why saints are doing this and what is there long term plan for the kids ,kids and parents ive known for many years .

my lad as ive said is a life long saints fan who has watched and played in hundreds of games for the club and his dream was to play first team ,now he is so desperate to get away along with others who are contracted and who are being released because some have no idea what the new pathway is but all want away because of one coach and his attitude toward 99 per cent of the boys ,put it this way if your teenage kid came home from school or work and told you all the teacher or boss does all day  is shout and swear in your face and runs you down when u make a mistake but does not teach you how not to make it i think you would all be pissed off,so i hope this clears all that up for the few who didnt understand the point i was trying to make .

21 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

i am reading some of the comments here and wondering if some off you actually read my posts ,so to Ali you got a watp for your comment about not taking advice from a rangers fan ,when i was trying to put over that after many successful seasons for saints in the top 6 winning the Scottish cup and getting into Europe  a good few of you see that as a fluke and your in the exact position you all think the club should be and your happy with this ,also that im subconsciously bitter about my son being released thats why im ranting about it ,there was also a comment about me only saying this now about a coach because hes been released ,believe me if i met you in a pub or anywhere id have told u all long before now ,the reason i mentioned it yesterday is because of what happened yesterday after the reserve game and with some of the comments on here i just thought enough is enough .

so here is the bottom line my son is being released because saints are not putting a reserve side in and he and i both accept this ,what i do not understand is why saints are doing this and what is there long term plan for the kids ,kids and parents ive known for many years .

my lad as ive said is a life long saints fan who has watched and played in hundreds of games for the club and his dream was to play first team ,now he is so desperate to get away along with others who are contracted and who are being released because some have no idea what the new pathway is but all want away because of one coach and his attitude toward 99 per cent of the boys ,put it this way if your teenage kid came home from school or work and told you all the teacher or boss does all day  is shout and swear in your face and runs you down when u make a mistake but does not teach you how not to make it i think you would all be pissed off,so i hope this clears all that up for the few who didnt understand the point i was trying to make .

Having read your excellent reviews through out the season even though you support another team I feel you have every right to come on here and make your views known. For anyone to suggest you only made them after your son was released what did they expect. If you made them earlier the only person who would have suffered would have been your son. I feel most of the negative reviews are coming from Saints fans who don’t like Saints to be seen in a bad light  but sometimes truth hurts..

2 hours ago, crieffsaintandy said:

I have been around the pro youth reserve football with my lad for a good number of years  never involved at saints, but hibs and dunfermline and berwick reserves, the coaching standards vary considerably and sometimes luck of the draw who you get. The new reserve league what I saw wasnt great at the second tier level, my lad decided himself just to return to east of scotland league second half of the season and is loving it, and most weeks come across a lot of boys released by the big clubs, maybe that's their level maybe not, sometimes they need a lucky break, yeah as above travelled miles and miles and you would love them to make it, but being realistic not going to happen to the majority and now my lad playing and enjoying his football again rather than sit about as Jersey fillers at pro teams and wait for a dream that ain't happening.

It would be interesting to see the stats on how many youth team players are released every season. It is bound to be pretty high I would presume.

A lot of the guys released by the big teams may find a place with the likes of Dunfermline etc. A few will get a season to prove themselves somewhere else & a few will be dissolutioned & give up altogether.

Hopefully most will find their place in the game but the harsh facts are that most will not be good enough for SPFL teams.

I am sure most will be devistated but hopefully there is a future in football somewhere ,but most will not realise their dream.

1 hour ago, sevcozombie2 said:

Has this coach been challenged? Or have these issues been raised with the club?

i am not sure and that is the problem ,people are scared to say anything because its the boys who get it ,one dad shouted out something at a game it was not directed at the coach as such but we knew it sort of was and his lad hardly played again and was released at Xmas.one player has challenged him and it didnt end up well for a time for the player ,but i dont blame the boy for reacting because anyone would have to the abuse ,the point is it dosent matter what i think or say about him ,what matters and the point is why are so many of them desperate to get out the club yes they have been released and they are glad they have   

12 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

i am not sure and that is the problem ,people are scared to say anything because its the boys who get it ,one dad shouted out something at a game it was not directed at the coach as such but we knew it sort of was and his lad hardly played again and was released at Xmas.one player has challenged him and it didnt end up well for a time for the player ,but i dont blame the boy for reacting because anyone would have to the abuse ,the point is it dosent matter what i think or say about him ,what matters and the point is why are so many of them desperate to get out the club yes they have been released and they are glad they have   

This needs made into a formal complaint, with signatures from other parents and players, and sent to the club. 

58 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

It absolutely matters what you think and say. Especially if you're a witness or your child has experience of this coach acting unprofessionally. 

Don't assume it'll be ignored or swept under the carpet. 

Look at how Newcastle were prepared to deal with a bonafide club legend when allegations were made against him.

If all this is true - I have no reason to doubt it but equally this is the first I've heard of such a big issue - then this should definitely be reported to higher ups at the club. Whether the players are good enough or not is irrelevant - they deserve to be treated with respect. Giving players constructive feedback is totally different to being abusive and that surely can't go unchallenged.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

It would be interesting to see the stats on how many youth team players are released every season. It is bound to be pretty high I would presume.

A lot of the guys released by the big teams may find a place with the likes of Dunfermline etc. A few will get a season to prove themselves somewhere else & a few will be dissolutioned & give up altogether.

Hopefully most will find their place in the game but the harsh facts are that most will not be good enough for SPFL teams.

I am sure most will be devistated but hopefully there is a future in football somewhere ,but most will not realise their dream.

I think you will find that Celtic actually released their whole youth squad a few years back despite winning every competition they entered. 

4 hours ago, sevcozombie2 said:

That is not acceptable if that is happenning but why does no one report it to the clubs designated welfare or child protection officer? 

I have seen a few training sessions and never witnessed this and have only seen loads of smiles and good banter between the coaches and players likewise at reserve matches. 

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

Sorry MS not sure what point you are making:?:.

Point is that teams sometimes make decisions based on the bigger picture. That year despite winning all the cups they did not believe that any of the boys had the potential or were better than what they had in first team or reserve squads. 

23 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Point is that teams sometimes make decisions based on the bigger picture. That year despite winning all the cups they did not believe that any of the boys had the potential or were better than what they had in first team or reserve squads. 

I remember that, point Is though they have a pathway, saints are changing theres big style, it will probably all work out, but no reserves, smaller squad, if I want a defender I need to sell one, the only defender getting kept on is a right back, he wants a striker for next season, he's keeping three of them on , serious question is all the cuts due to the players he brought in this season or is it something else? 

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

That's ideal. You loan players out at 17/18/19 and work them up to your level, and/or they're already ready for your level by that stage. Sinclair, McCann, and even the loanees in Glasgow are starting down that path. It gives the club a real chance to evaluate them in the game.

The rest must not be good enough, you cant lay that entirely at the clubs door. Reserve league maybe meant some of that squad were kept around purely for numbers, instead of getting a chance lower down the divisions, which would develop them more, but either way theres been plenty of young players who have made it at Saints. Do you not find it bizarre how theres not been a single complaint from anyone until the day their kids get told they're not being kept on?

Budget is being cut next season, something you're well aware of. If cuts are being made, it's better to spend the money on the first team than the youths. Hamilton and Falkirk done the opposite, Hamilton fight relegation every season while Falkirk dream of getting promoted, I'd rather see no youngsters in the first team and be fighting for the top half than have a squad full of home grown players.

Appreciate the conversation has moved on over the course of the day but just wanted to make another couple of points. 

Boys are being told they are being let go because we don't have a reserve team. Does that mean they aren't good enough, or are they victims of penny pinching?

Our most expensive ever sale was on the verge of moving to Forfar for about £6,000 at a young age but Saints stuck at it in developing him and reaped the rewards. When there is talk about pathways, it is a general idea and not uniform with every individual. Making a judgement on players at 17 or 18 is hasty. Of course there will be ones that you know haven't adapted to full-time professionalism but equally there will be players that need further development at the next stage. That stage is being removed though it appears. Maybe it isn't (and they'll go in heavy on loans) but until communicated to otherwise, it's fair to assume it is.

I've no idea if the budget is being cut for next season as there has been no indication either way from the manager but I don't necessarily agree that cuts need to be directed towards the younger players. I could live without us signing the Niall Keown, Tristan Nydam or Sean Goss of next season, for example. 

I've been prepared to accept signings like Keown in particular because I've believed we are striving long-term towards producing our own young players to compliment the first team squad. That plan now looks to be getting abandoned and it'll be the Stevie May or Jason Kerr type coming through or nothing at all. 

Finally, I still think you are missing the point about Accies and Falkirk. Accies aren't fighting relegation because they play youngsters and likewise, that isn't the reason that Falkirk have failed to secure promotion. You are still painting them as examples of why academies don't work when it's actually very much the opposite!

9 hours ago, Kyle said:

If all this is true - I have no reason to doubt it but equally this is the first I've heard of such a big issue - then this should definitely be reported to higher ups at the club. Whether the players are good enough or not is irrelevant - they deserve to be treated with respect. Giving players constructive feedback is totally different to being abusive and that surely can't go unchallenged.

Are supporters allowed to constantly tell youngsters they’re not good enough? Most of them will be on these sites,yet there’s many so-called fans slagging them off ,despite the coaches putting them in first team squads

6 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Steven Anderson was young once... 

Never slagged him then,but after  8 seasons of bombscares it had to be said,the fact Arran stays near me,and speak to his dad,it does grate what some say about him,after a hard 45at Killie,but there’s been plenty slow starters in Perth,Roddy took 19 games to score, Macca a season to prove his worth,but never ever slag youngsters at any level,that’s been the bugbear at their level for years

Edited by dave mc

12 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Are supporters allowed to constantly tell youngsters they’re not good enough? Most of them will be on these sites,yet there’s many so-called fans slagging them off ,despite the coaches putting them in first team squads

Given that the supporters don’t have a legal duty of care to the players, this is a false equivalence. We’re not paid to coach and improve players, we pay money to watch them play football, coaches are in a position of responsibility and it’s their job to make sure those working under them are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. If they’re not good enough, supporters will have their say. Coaches will too, but the relationship is completely different. Coaches blindly shouting in the faces of any player, never mind young players, is clearly not acceptable and frankly should never have been seen as acceptable at any time in history. It’s the coaches job to identify weaknesses, communicate them in a respectful way and find a way to help the players improve. Reading sevco zombie’s posts, it’s quite clear this has not been happening  

We all have players we like and dislike. I was quite vocal in my dislike of Paul Paton as an example. I’m sure he could give two ****s about what Kyle from We Are Perth says about his footballing ability though - it’s his job to impress the club he plays for and the coaches/club management that he works under. If he’s a fan favourite then all the better for him but ultimately that doesn’t matter. If it did, David Wotherspoon would’ve been out on his arse 3 or 4 years ago. 

Fair comment in your opinion,but you’re talking about abusing seasoned pro’s not youngsters making their first strides into football, there’s no place in any work place for abuse to employees,that’s a given,nor abusing young players on social media,that invariably will see it,imo 

2 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Fair comment in your opinion,but you’re talking about abusing seasoned pro’s not youngsters making their first strides into football, there’s no place in any work place for abuse to employees,that’s a given,nor abusing young players on social media,that invariably will see it,imo 

It’ll happen in the stands regardless of what is said on social media. If the players can’t handle that from the every day punter at matches, it’s unlikely they’ll make it as professional footballers as they’ll not have the mental toughness for it. I note you specifically mention Comrie in relation to radford above so I assume you think he’s unfairly criticised him in the past. He’s made the odd post on here and on pie and Bovril but they have been pretty tame and/or made in jest. It’s certainly nothing compared  to some of the bile I’ve read written by other supporters about other players, and I don’t just mean saints fans about saints players. If Comrie is affected by reading forums or social media, the best thing he can do is not look at it and focus on improving his game - he might even prove his detractors wrong if he does. Ultimately only the management and the chairman really matter when it comes to a player’s future anyway. 

You’ve been guilty often of slagging his ability, there was one recently on p&b that I can’t quite remember the adjective you used, but it wasn’t complimentary, I’m not saying Arran is affected or reads the sites, but I don’t think it’d do anyone any good to be publicly lambasted, as any apprentice in any job will tell you, 

I slag his ability because I don’t think he’s very good at football and would rather not see him playing in the team. It’s a forum where these discussions are had and has no relevance to what sevcozombie is talking about in respect of how youngsters are being treated by coaches at the club. If Comrie can’t take a few fans thinking he’s not up to it, then chances are he’s not got the mental fortitude to make it.