Reserve League News 2018/19

Radford 72

I’d be dropping joe too. He can play the last 15 minutes in the last home game to say his goodbyes. We need to give Kerr and Gordon time to build a relationship and it will give us a better idea of what we need over the summer in terms of a centre half. If they don’t click then we’ll need a first choice. If they do then we can take a gamble on a younger player. 

On 4/19/2019 at 6:51 PM, mainstand said:

Having watched the 18s today I really cannot understand where the alleged lack of commitment from the club comes from 

The team were there with the manager and coaches at the side of the pitch. Alan maybury plus coach along with physio plus first team physio on the bench sports scientist and a new piece of equipment videoing the game aswell. 

An awful lot of club backroom staff supporting a team that has been said on here is being ignored.

And as for the manager and coaches no sign of any shouting and swearing at the players. And yes I was parked near the dugout so I would have heard. 

Not sure how many of the young players that are being released played today but a squad of 18. With more youth players watching from the side of the pitch. 

Belive me it happens I would never accuse someone if was not true, and it's usually done in the changing room, I also apologise for an offence I may have caused in suggesting that u should want more from your club and not settle for we are where we are , again it was just an outsider looking in saints have done really well last four to six years and with some of the comments about weve been lucky etc just made me curious as to why some of you would think that, also I have never been disrespectful to anyone personally on here or to your club, I have pointed out short comings that I would have thought to any supporter of any club would want addressed, there is nothing better than debate on football issues, but some have decided to have a go at my club and me in less flattering terms, I wish St johnstone every success in the future, and on a final note a true captain and very fine footballer to me and a legend to thousands of others died today rip Billy Mcneill 

Guest ScottMann
11 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I’d be dropping joe too. He can play the last 15 minutes in the last home game to say his goodbyes. We need to give Kerr and Gordon time to build a relationship and it will give us a better idea of what we need over the summer in terms of a centre half. If they don’t click then we’ll need a first choice. If they do then we can take a gamble on a younger player. 

Totally agree. Play Joe and Watt in the reserves to give them games in case they're needed due to injury. I don't even think we're gambling and reducing our chances of finishing seventh by doing this either.

5 hours ago, mainstand said:

Surely our aim is to finish 7th. Irrespective of players whereabouts next season they are our players just  now.

Using your logic i take it Joe should not be playing either??

If Watt was head and shoulders above everyone else then I'd play him. But he's not. I'd much rather be playing Hendry and getting his confidence and experience up in advance of next season.

Similarly Joe. Liam is going to be playing for us next year and I have confidence in him. So again, play him now and let him build his experience.

Finishing seventh is good (especially financially) but we also need to build for next season. Start now.

3 hours ago, garydavidson said:

This topic is all over the place :)

There is an interesting article on the BBC about Hutchison Vale, amazing some of the names that have gone through there and a number who have played for Saints: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47962601

Yes look at all the players that they have brought through and all the transfer fees that have occurred since then. Bearing in mind for all players signed for them over the age of 12 they are entitled to I think 1 percent of the transfer fees. 

Yes look at all the players that they have brought through and all the transfer fees that have occurred since then. Bearing in mind for all players signed for them over the age of 12 they are entitled to I think 1 percent of the transfer fees. 

Good club hutchie, but think have been struggling financially for a wee while, and think using the oriam was a real killer financially, for all it being great these new facilities the fees at this venue dont encourage youth football.

And defo Kerr and Gordon, but also need back up for the full backs, personally not fussed about Joe and think there is better out there.

20 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Good club hutchie, but think have been struggling financially for a wee while, and think using the oriam was a real killer financially, for all it being great these new facilities the fees at this venue dont encourage youth football.

I am surprised to hear they are struggling financially given the amount they were charging players  £30 a month and that was 7 years ago. 

As far as the Oriam is concerned agree like all these places it is not cheap.

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

I am surprised to hear they are struggling financially given the amount they were charging players  £30 a month and that was 7 years ago. 

As far as the Oriam is concerned agree like all these places it is not cheap.

Think it depended on the team ie twenties struggled for kit and training facilities last year, and what I heard so did other age groups, maybe the reason the big team have struggled in the new eos leagues, with small crowds and lower budgets unlike the big hitters ar bonnyrigg, Kelty etc

Edited by crieffsaintandy

On 4/26/2019 at 6:30 PM, RandomGuy said:

Ali McCann with interesting words too...

Has ANYONE claimed that loans generally aren't better than reserves? 

Tommy Wright wanted McCann out on loan in January 2018 and in the summer but couldn't find a taker. Without the reserves, he'd have been playing no football at all for a year. THAT is the issue.

As we will not be the only team going down this route, is there the demand there for all these lads to go out on loan.

With little Reserve football surely all the teams will be looking to get young lads out on loan, why is Stenhousemuir for example going to take a Saints young lad rather than a lad from Motherwell/Dundee/Hibs etc ? 

No doubt some players benefit hugely from being out on loan but I m far from convinced there will be enough teams for them all to go to. 

Are you sure it is at Lennoxtown and not Cappielow?

Thought reserve games had to be held at a stadium?

Another super decision when they moved to the reserves from the U20s, they moved back to allowing teams to play at training grounds, like the old U19s league. 

A great environment to develop players and prepare them for the first team. 

As has been said the most bizarre thing about the issue of scrapping the reserve side is that we are finally reaping the dividends of all our investment. Going through our first team squad it is the best it has been in recent times for our own/developed youngsters. Surely Alistair Stevenson and Tommy have a plan for continuing the fine work that has been done? 

Weird timing for such a retrograde step otherwise.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:14 AM, Radford 72 said:

Has ANYONE claimed that loans generally aren't better than reserves? 

Tommy Wright wanted McCann out on loan in January 2018 and in the summer but couldn't find a taker. Without the reserves, he'd have been playing no football at all for a year. THAT is the issue.

I wonder if the reserve league will be changed for next season? No idea how late they can do things like that.

Celtic, Rangers "plus a dozen other" top flight teams have all signalled their intention to leave the reserve league next season.

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I wonder if the reserve league will be changed for next season? No idea how late they can do things like that.

Celtic, Rangers "plus a dozen other" top flight teams have all signalled their intention to leave the reserve league next season.

The article can be found here: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-mccart-explains-celtic-ready-14981851

The Old Firm can afford to go without it. They have the finances to travel south or abroad or host big teams at their training grounds every week or other one. Rangers did it for a year or two before this one. 

It all comes down to finance, rightly or wrongly. In the case of Saints, I don't think any change in structure would reverse the club's position. Steve Brown simply thinks we have too many full-time professionals. Those are his words. 

I liked the Challenge Cup as a tournament but it's already been bastardised, so I'd be open to going down the same route as the FL Trophy and creating a group stage with a colt team in each section.

Maybe bring more focus back on the regional cups as well, where FT clubs use colt teams. There are enough international breaks that those could be filled with Forfarshire/Stirlingshire/Glasgow etc... cup ties.