Reserve League News 2018/19

Radford 72

On 2/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

SPFL reserve cup semi-final takes place on Mon. 25th Feb. at 2pm In Airdrie where Saints take on Motherwell.

C.o.y.s.

Won't make this as I have a pm appointment.

8 hours ago, sevcozombie2 said:

NEXT FIXTURE

MONDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2019

MOTHERWELL

2:00 PM

ST JOHNSTONE

SPFL Reserve Cup

Penny Cars Stadium, Airdrie

Aye yer right.:wink:

One oaf these days where if we were still playing we would be looking for a goal. Missed 2 glorious chances and had a goal chopped off for offside. Very much a development or under 30 team with no real first team experience.

Not sure who the assistant manager of reserves are but think he is an ex saints youth player

17 hours ago, mainstand said:

yeah that sounds about right. Surprised he can be with Saints and still playing with Montrose. 

They must have changed the rules as they couldn't years ago.

He coached my son at a Saints youth camp last year. To be fair my son was 10, so not sure if he's doing that as well as the reserves. 

As Gary says, Saints were the last team to commit to the Reserve League this season, so that wouldn't come as a huge shock. 

It presents the same issues as last summer and as touched on above, where do those too old for the U18s play? I'm not sure BSC Glasgow need a full team of players on loan. 

Producing young players is vital to Saints. 

On 2/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, BigKerno said:

Anyone else heard that there might not be a Reserve team next year? Saint considering pulling the funding for it. No idea where the younger guys would end up playing.

i did hear that also and you could not blame them if they did its a total waste of time ,17 games a season, no age limit, boys on the bench never getting on no matter what the score is .this was meant to be the Savior of youth football bridge the gap from youth to first team ,well they ****ed that right up the gap is bigger than ever ,give youth a chance 

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, sevcozombie2 said:

i did hear that also and you could not blame them if they did its a total waste of time ,17 games a season, no age limit, boys on the bench never getting on no matter what the score is .this was meant to be the Savior of youth football bridge the gap from youth to first team ,well they ****ed that right up the gap is bigger than ever ,give youth a chance 

it is down to the clubs as to whether they are striking the right balance between youth development and keeping first team squad players fit. 

I did speak to one SPFL youth manager who was of the view that his under 18 squad would be better withdrawing form the pro youth set up and entering an under 21 or 23 Saturday league.

1 minute ago, mainstand said:

it is down to the clubs as to whether they are striking the right balance between youth development and keeping first team squad players fit. 

I did speak to one SPFL youth manager who was of the view that his under 18 squad would be better withdrawing form the pro youth set up and entering an under 21 or 23 Saturday league.

funny thats what a couple of us were talking about ,i think an under 23 league would work better ,i read today so far this season rangers youth teams and reserve side have played in total 250 games against sides from outwith Scotland ,they have a best v the best policy ,granted it cost a fortune to do ,but the young players are all very good with every age group having Scotland players in them .for the rest up to u17s the set up seems good ,but after that its not, least when u had the twenty's the young lads who were good enough knew they could continue there apprenticeship like any other profession ,so now if saints did do away with the reserve team and depending on when your birthday is you may find some kids only get a one year deal as they can only play one year at 18s ,in my view if that did happen i would struggle to find a reason for saints to keep a youth academy .dont know whether  to blame sfa spfl or clubs for the mess ,but i will say some clubs do give youth a chance in there first teams specially at this time of season ,when i say youth i mean 16 to 20 .and i hope a decision is made very soon as loads of young players at saints are out of contract in 12 weeks