Saints vs Dundee 25/08/18

glenrothes saintee

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Liam Craig, btw. We've needed someone to step up and he's done it, today with Muzz going off early we really needed him to step up, and that's exactly what he did. 

Didn't give Dundee an inch in our half and just reads the game so well. 

Totally agree - he was tremendous today, best game he’s had for us in a long time 

The heart of a really good team is there, each performance we look better.  Tony Watt is just what we need, a striker intent on scoring goals - strong, works hard and knows how to finish.

If we get a midfielder with Muzz looking out for a while - hope he is ok - I think we will have a decent season and every chance we may get into top six.

What is really encouraging is the fight and desire to get points - very evident across the team.  Another three points on the horrific pitch at Hamilton next week and we are in a great place for some interesting games come September.

Dundee look in trouble, however a mate of mine is a St Mirren fan and he is certain they will go down.

The early signs are encouraging, Joe and Kerr looks best centre half combination.  To get a midfielder in, a youngster and Spoony on loan may free up some decent cash?

Edited by Havana Saint

Really enjoyed the game today - yeah it took us a while to get  going but even when Dundee were controlling things in the first  half we still created 2 or 3 really good chances that we should have done much better with 

Matty Kennedy put another great shift in and he’s going to get better and better the more games he plays - probably should have been subbed late on as he was clearly gubbed. Like all wingers just needs to find that final ball a bit more 

For the first time in years we have players who you almost expect them to make something happen out of nothing. The three summer signings have been terrific so far - As for Tony Watt, the boy is class and just oozes confidence and cockiness that we haven’t had in a player for a while 

Great day - looking forward to seeing McCann’a greeting wee coupon on sportscne :)

19 minutes ago, Havana Saint said:

The heart of a really good team is there, each performance we look better.  Tony Watt is just what we need, a striker intent on scoring goals - strong, works hard and knows how to finish.

If we get a midfielder with Muzz looking out for a while - hope he is ok - I think we will have a decent season and every chance we may get into top six.

What is really encouraging is the fight and desire to get points - very evident across the team.  Another three points on the horrific pitch at Hamilton next week and we are in a great place for some interesting games come September.

Dundee look in trouble, however a mate of mine is a St Mirren fan and he is certain they will go down.

The early signs are encouraging, Joe and Kerr looks best centre half combination.  To get a midfielder in, a youngster and Spoony on loan may free up some decent cash?

Don't think Spoony will go on loan as Tommy rates his David. Doubt if he would even agree to go on loan but can't see a position for him in the team & he seems to get slower as the years go by.

I think he had some kind of bug a few seasons ago & hasn't been the same player since.

4 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I was level with Watt, with the perfect view from the back of the Main Stand when the ball was played. The linesman was behind play a bit. It wasn’t even close. He was well offside 

Definitely onside by at least a yard

5b820875bebe2_ScreenShot2018-08-25at6_51_54PM.thumb.jpg.b9b21b334a4e29a71a06976e2904ba37.jpg

Not surprised Watt was onside(though he looked off to me too). He's absolutley superb at bending his runs and is always watching the line. A very intelligent striker. 

The best bit of business saints could do now is to stick another 2 years on his contract. Not likely but would be an investment, the lad could go far.

Important win. Wouldn't have wanted to go into Hamilton game on a defeat.

A win for Dundee would have given them a boost as well.They had a lot of players comfortable on the ball & confidence is everything.

McCann says they discussed how Tony Watt cheats. Is that not bringing the game into disrepute ?.

Yes, definitely speak to Watt about a contract extension now. He is a class act, and it is genuinely hard to think of many better strikers in this league just now.

Agree with comments about Liam Craig, he came onto a game and was outstanding. I thought the first half was very open and entertaining.. Dundee had a lot of possession, but we always looked a threat going forward and created the better chances.

After we pushed our wide players and Watt onto their defenders at goal kicks, Dundee had absolutely no plan b as they stopped getting as much comfortable possession. The second half was strange, Saints were so comfortable and it was as if Dundee gave up really early.

Thought Kerr looked excellent, and Kennedy had a good game and was constantly involved, though his delivery into the box was very poor.

Thats two home matches that I've really enjoyed, and I can honestly think I've seen more entertaining football at McDiarmid this season already than I did all last season.  Keep it up Saints!

52 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Thats two home matches that I've really enjoyed, and I can honestly think I've seen more entertaining football at McDiarmid this season already than I did all last season.  Keep it up Saints!

100% correct.  Last season was brutal. I'm amazed at the transformation in entertainment, just the Hibs game was more entertaining than the whole of last season.  Every time we go forward we do with purpose and look like we'll score on any attack.  

Good playing surface yesterday helps.

Next game cant come quick enough as we'll only get better

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Important win. Wouldn't have wanted to go into Hamilton game on a defeat.

A win for Dundee would have given them a boost as well.They had a lot of players comfortable on the ball & confidence is everything.

McCann says they discussed how Tony Watt cheats. Is that not bringing the game into disrepute ?.

Where did McCann state this?

Give the details and I'll make the new Compliance Officer aware.

58 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Where did McCann state this?

Give the details and I'll make the new Compliance Officer aware.

Match report Sunday Mail page 74 by Gary Ralston:

McCann said: "It's so frustrating because we totally dominated the first half bar a five minute spell.  We dealt with their threat and were the better side before half time.

We discussed how Tony Watt cheats, and I mean that with the best intentions, because he walks and lives on the breakdown.

He got that because we made a mistake and he finished it well.  It's another one where we've played well but got nothing.

We moved the ball well in the first half but didn't do it the same in the second. We're being punished for individual errors. It's difficult but you have to keep working"