Saints vs Dundee 25/08/18

glenrothes saintee

44 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Match report Sunday Mail page 74 by Gary Ralston:

We discussed how Tony Watt cheats, and I mean that with the best intentions, because he walks and lives on the breakdown.

He got that because we made a mistake and he finished it well.  

What in the name of the wee man does that drivel mean!  If that is a verbatim report of what McCann said I can only assume that English is not his first language.

1 hour ago, south inch said:

What in the name of the wee man does that drivel mean!  If that is a verbatim report of what McCann said I can only assume that English is not his first language.

You are probably correct but remember he was a match analyst for Sky, probably a friend of Jim white, and he is the Dundee Manager.

My first game of the season and I can honestly say I enjoyed that encounter better than any home game I watched last year.

Great performance all round including Zander who is growing in confidence every week. Our center backs looked mobile and comfortable - Kerr is huge star in the making. I liked the impromptu role Craig picked up after Muzz headed - perhaps we have found a nice wee role for our accomplished "journeyman". Foster looks so much more mobile this early in the season. Kennedy looks like he can play a big part for us this season although some of his final ball was 'cat' yesterday.

Man of the match was Tony Watt. What a piece of business to get him here. Never really realised he is such an accomplished forward - strong, skillful, very intelligent and deadly when he gets a sniff. He will score loads of goals for us. Reminds me of another great Saint striker from back in the day - Jim O'rourke.

I thought the Saint support warmed to the task yesterday and by game end we were all giving it large - good things to come so lets start spreading the gospel - we have a tidy team and well worth getting up to McD to watch.

5 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Where did McCann state this?

Give the details and I'll make the new Compliance Officer aware.

In the Sun" We discussed how Tony Watt cheats, & I mean that with the best intentions because he walks & lives on the breakdown ".

Never noticed it had already been stated.

Edited by Cagey

I hope nobody is seriously going to email the compliance officer about this!

In this context, ‘cheats’ is a common football expression for doesn’t chase back, he’s cheating on doing his work for the team. What McCann is saying is he warned his players Watt ‘cheats’ and won’t always do the defensive work, so when play breaks down he’s often in space and possibly further up the park than some of his defenders.

Its not an insult at all, as a lot of top strikers over the years have done this- just come to life when their team gets possession- and save energy when they don’t have the ball.

McCann was kind of correct for the goal.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game,even when Dundee had lots of the ball.Saints a bit nervy to start but the longer the match went on the better they became and the more toothless Dundee became.Watt should be offered a longer contract and delighted the way others are responding.Foster was a revelation,especially his intelligent balls over and through their defence.Liam very quickly adapted well to his role.Theres more to come from this squad.

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Although, tbf, Paulo normally makes more sense than the rest of us put together. 

That is certainly debatable!

But the definition of 'cheats' in this context definitely isn't. I'm not trying to get in anyone's head, simply explaining a fact. 100%.

Its a footballing expression.

And it is as clear as day that that was the context McCann used it in.

He'd warned his defenders beforehand that Watt doesn't always do his job chasing back ("cheats" on not doing his running for the team), so be aware of that for when play breaks down. Lo and behold that's what happened and we scored.

But please, don't let me stop you. If you feel strongly enough about this that a strongly worded email is required then go for it. But can you say you're a fan of some other team, as it could end up being a bit embarrassing!

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

But the definition of 'cheats' in this context definitely isn't. I'm not trying to get in anyone's head, simply explaining a fact. 100%.

He'd warned his defenders beforehand that Watt doesn't always do his job chasing back ("cheats" on not doing his running for the team), so be aware of that for when play breaks down. Lo and behold that's what happened and we scored.

But please, don't let me stop you. If you feel strongly enough about this that a strongly worded email is required then go for it. But can you say you're a fan of some other team, as it could end up being a bit embarrassing!

Ha ha. Honest you'll not get a mention.:laugh:

Hope your not his agent. :wink:

Edited by HOODLUM65

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Makes sense. Even McCann wouldn't be daft enough to call a player a cheat.