Accounts 17-18

perthandproud

On 07/09/2018 at 8:45 PM, perthandproud said:

£250000.00 loss for the year

all big infrastructure projects complete(phew)

Thats a lot.

Combination of poor fixtures, not making top 6 and less prize money for overall finishing position?  

That was also including a few hundred thousand UEFA solidarity payment for Celtic making champ league group stages which we won't see this year. (Unless there's an equivalent for Europa league??).

What were the big infrastructure projects out of interest.. I thought the second  training pitch and surrounds were being paid for as part of the deal with the council for the new road?

Really got to hope we see an increase in crowds this season, feel the quality/ type of players brought in, along with the (so far) more pleasing on the eye style of play, that the club deserve it.

Looking at attendances for last season, we were 583 down on average for each game on the previous season, which is a big hit.  It was our second lowest average attendance since coming back up 10 years ago.

Funnily enough, it was the Cup winning season which was our lowest, when we had some really entertaining football to watch:

2009-10 - 4717. (Prem 8th/12)
2010-11 - 3841. (Prem 8th/12)
2011-12 - 4169. (Prem 6th/12, qualified for europa league)
2012-13 - 3921. (Prem 3rd/12, qualified for europa league)
2013-14 - 3806. (Prem 6th/12, Scottish Cup Winners, qualified for europa league)
2014-15 - 4592. (Prem 4th/12, qualified for europa league)
2015-16 - 3879. (Prem 4th/12)
2016-17 - 4392. (Prem 4th/12, qualified for europa league)
2017-18 - 3809. (Prem 8th/12)

Based on BBC figures

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Funnily enough, it was the Cup winning season which was our lowest, when we had some really entertaining football to watch:

I'm assuming that's league attendances only? We had the Rosenborg and Minsk home games in that season, which both had huge crowds. Still odd that it's the lowest, though.

I think the new signings and new style of play are fantastic but they'll only really start to impact on attendances if they bring us success on the pitch.

35 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'm assuming that's league attendances only? We had the Rosenborg and Minsk home games in that season, which both had huge crowds. Still odd that it's the lowest, though.

I think the new signings and new style of play are fantastic but they'll only really start to impact on attendances if they bring us success on the pitch.

Shows how much we are dependent on some of the away crowds. Suspect the core saints support doesn't vary much.

Better football will help, but perversely, the only way I can see a big increase in our home support is a crisis. It's all too comfortable for Saints supporters. Not that I want it, but if we had an administration or such like, a lot of the fans would 're engage' to save the club, much like, Hearts, Dundee and Motherwell.

We still have a decent support, just a lot don't attend games as regularly. Pretty sure all of us could name a dozen or so saints supporters who still follow the club, but rarely attend games, for all sorts of valid and understandable reasons.

Edited by TheYellowBox

45 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Some really surprising stuff in the chairman's report. Don't think it can be posted publicly in full yet (it will become available on Companies House in time I guess) but staggered by his revelation that there are players in Perth on six-figure basic salaries.

If that is the case and given the comments about "pushing the boat out" for Scougall, then he should be moved on I think.  Top earners, especially at a club like Saints, need to be playing and contributing regularly to justify that kind of expenditure.  Scougall hasn't done enough for me.

4 minutes ago, jhq said:

If that is the case and given the comments about "pushing the boat out" for Scougall, then he should be moved on I think.  Top earners, especially at a club like Saints, need to be playing and contributing regularly to justify that kind of expenditure.  Scougall hasn't done enough for me.

The chairman says exactly that, any player brought to the club on that kind of money needs to contribute significantly to a successful season.

Scougall might not even make the bench on Saturday.

4 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Some really surprising stuff in the chairman's report. Don't think it can be posted publicly in full yet (it will become available on Companies House in time I guess) but staggered by his revelation that there are players in Perth on six-figure basic salaries.

Any indication as to how many?  That's £2k per week, would have thought the likes of Macca would have been on that but can't easily suggest any others.  Cuptie surely but he wouldn't feature in this years accounts.

5 hours ago, south inch said:

Any indication as to how many?  

It was definitely plural. What was enlightening is that in the minutes from the 2017 AGM, he says fans/shareholders would be surprised if they knew the salaries of some players.

He's not wrong! Interesting why he's chosen to disclose the information now...

I thought we'd have 2 or 3 players on 2 grand a week so not overly surprised at that. I'm not sure what the latest figures are but were we not spending around 2.5 million on staffing costs and around 2 million on other costs. Those figures would add up.

Agree though, if they are earning £100,000 a year and not contributing then the must be moved on.

On 10/09/2018 at 1:01 PM, PauloPerth said:

Looking at attendances for last season, we were 583 down on average for each game on the previous season, which is a big hit.  It was our second lowest average attendance since coming back up 10 years ago.

2009-10 - 4717. (Prem 8th/12)
2010-11 - 3841. (Prem 8th/12)
2011-12 - 4169. (Prem 6th/12, qualified for europa league)
2012-13 - 3921. (Prem 3rd/12, qualified for europa league)
2013-14 - 3806. (Prem 6th/12, Scottish Cup Winners, qualified for europa league)
2014-15 - 4592. (Prem 4th/12, qualified for europa league)
2015-16 - 3879. (Prem 4th/12)
2016-17 - 4392. (Prem 4th/12, qualified for europa league)
2017-18 - 3809. (Prem 8th/12)

Based on BBC figures

Thanks for those stats. Great effort and interesting to evaluate. Despite great value for money, we are losing bums on seats. Worrying.

2 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Scougall, Watt, Kennedy and Wright were on big deals. 

Wright came up from Colchester where he’d have been on a decent wage. Kennedy won’t have come cheap either. 

Watt is a given.

Would the last three be in these accounts? Its last seasons squad you'd be looking at, unless Brown has said its the current squad who have a few earning over that amount, I've not seen his comments.

Scougall the obvious one, wouldn't be stunned if O'Halloran earned a fair whack while with us on loan.Maybe Easton, Davidson, Wotherspoon and MacLean too? Just raw speculation as they're the ones who'd be most likely to deserve a big contract from Brown.

On 11/09/2018 at 8:35 AM, Radford 72 said:

Blows the bollocks about brown being a tight wad right out the water.

all the moaning sour pusses on this subject should stop whinging and go out and support the team.

16 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Scougall, Watt, Kennedy and Wright were on big deals. 

Wright came up from Colchester where he’d have been on a decent wage. Kennedy won’t have come cheap either. 

Watt is a given.

Not convinced Watt would be on that sort of money - he didn't have a club for a while before we signed him and there's no guarantee he was being offered big money from anywhere else. I think we'll certainly have to put him up into that bracket if we want to hold onto him, though. Hopefully that's already being discussed!

As Random says, I think some of the players who have been here a while and signed multiple contract extensions over the years would be among the top earners. Certainly I think Macca and Davidson would be up there, and deservedly so.

On 10/09/2018 at 1:10 PM, blueheaven said:

Yes league only. 

The season after the cup win, we saw a decent jump, especially in season ticket sales, but then despite finishing 4th in the end and having some good away performances, I think our success was built upon a solid defence and we were pretty poor to watch a lot of the time for the more fickle followers.  Sure enough, the season afterwards we were back down to where we were before we won the Cup.

Having said all that, our average is heavily inflienced by how many times/ when we play the bigger clubs so sometimes its affected by factors which are nothing to do with us.