St Johnstone vs Aberdeen 15/09/18

jhq

Great football in first half.

Not sure what happened in second half.

Did Dons step up the pace or did we sit back ?.

Did we miss Craig. Was he injured or subbed because he was on a yellow ?.

Jury out on Callaghan. Unfair to judge on half a game & will need time to settle.

Draw probably the right result.

Plenty penalty claim but over the game Wullie probably got it right. Sometimes 2 wrongs make aright.

Edited by Cagey

Fairly open and entertaining game in terms of action and incidents.

First half Aberdeen dominated possession but didn't create anything, whilst Saints looked dangerous on the break.

Second half, losing Liam Craig's calming influence in the centre of the park brought Aberdeen right on top of us. Mackay-Steven came alive and got room to run at Tanser and gave him a tough time. First half Tanser was our best player, winning loads of headers and looking very assured in possession.  Callachan has obviously not played a lot this season, and it certainly showed.  Very difficult match to come into at half time though.

Aberdeen fans shouting for a penalty every single time simply because we had one defender in front and one behind McKenna at corners and long throws in the first half was some of the most clueless football spectating you would ever hope to come across.

Draw probably fair enough in the end.

I'm still not convinced by Shaughnessy.  He's too soft;  I would rather have had Anderson in there today. Jason Kerr is a great defender but he is going to have to watch as the number of times he wins the ball then tries to be too clever and gives it away cheaply could well cost us.  The whole team were a bit careless with the ball at times to be honest.

Aberdeen are a big physical side. Other than GMS they're like a more talented version of Hamilton Accies.

Really enjoyed that game. Great goal from  Saints. First half we controlled the game. Bit surprised that Craig was hooked at half time, although Tommy was going mental at him just before the break. 

Still though we could have won the game, Alston has a great chance and we created several more chances, despite the Dons stepping things up a little.

The penalty can be debated, certainly no contact but if Lewis doesn't make the challenge we score.

Where there is no debate is that the Dons fans now have the same sense of entitlement that you get form the Old Firm. Spent more time in the first half complaining about the SFA than questioning why they hadn't had a shot on goal.

Good result for Saints, some great play in all areas of the park. Bodes well for the season.

This was my first look at the new-look Saints team. It's clearly still a work-in-progress, but we already look significantly better than last season. Tony Watt still caused a couple of problems despite having something of an off-day. David McMillan scored again and looks like a good option to have. Blair Alston might actually be a genuine candidate for a regular central midfield berth. Drey Wright really impressed me in the first half. Jason Kerr and Scott Tanser were stand-outs at the back, combining solid defensive work with surprising technical ability at times. In terms of the other new recruits, Kennedy will do well for us but might be one of those players who regularly floats in and out of games. It's too premature to judge Callachan at this stage. It's pleasing to see him getting into good attacking positions, but I highly doubt he'll solve our most pressing issues in central midfield. Interesting to note that he's currently above Tristan Nydam in the pecking order.

It looked like a penalty to me, but a draw was probably a fair result overall. Neither team could really get a hold of the game for an extended period of time. Willie Collum was desperate to make the match as stop-start as possible. As is regularly the case, he seemed keen to be the centre of attention.

Aberdeen look a shadow of their former selves. This St. Johnstone team could quite fathomably finish in the top six. Looking forward to seeing how we develop over the course of this season.

36 minutes ago, Bruno Strasser said:

I thought Tanser had his best game for Saints.Thought he was outstanding first half. 

Agree. He won loads of headers, won the ball back a fair few times, and was very assured in possession and found teammates with the ball most of the time.

Second half I thought GMS gave him a really tough time of it on quite a few occasions, though he's a tricky player to play against when he's on his game.