St Johnstone vs Aberdeen 15/09/18

jhq

On 9/18/2018 at 12:00 PM, Dave H said:

Seen the penalty shouts from both teams. Saints obvious obstruction, clearly a foul. doesnt need contact to impede a hurdling player.  Anywhere on the pitch, this is a foul. Aberdeen shout was clear contact.   Thought both were pens when watching at the time, highlights havent changed my mind.  Our penalty decision is clearly at a very important time. might have won 3 points at that point.

i couldnt believe the guys on sportscene thought the aberdeen shout was a pen, Spoony clearly gets a touch on the ball it totally changes direction as for the Saints one no ref would ever give that he was too honest

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I think they were both penalties but if we had scored ours we could have then pulled further ahead so it was certainly a game changer.

The BBC website certainly gave more highlight to the Aberdeen one though which was rather sad.

This is exactly it, ours is at 1-0 when we were needing a foothold in the game to stay on top and having a two goal lead, Aberdeen we’re heading up the road pointless the way the game was paning out. It’s frustrating because whilst I don’t think Collum has cost us the win, he’s cost us the opportunity to really go for it by making the wrong decision at a crucial time. Yes you could say he evens it up by not giving Aberdeen a penalty at 1-1, but it’s irrelevant because if he does his job properly even with a last minute penalty I don’t think Aberdeen would have been in a position to get anything from the game. 

I’d have taken a point, but I genuinely think we’ll be battling Aberdeen for a top 6 spot this season, they’re pretty average at best. 

Looked at the highlights again and I think Collum got both calls right, although wouldn’t have been surprised if either or both had been given. We must remember that referees only have one view of any incident and I stick by my previous comment in saying Collum had a decent game (by Scottish refereeing standards).

13 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I think they were both penalties but if we had scored ours we could have then pulled further ahead so it was certainly a game changer.

The BBC website certainly gave more highlight to the Aberdeen one though which was rather sad.

serious question- what makes you think gms's was a pen?

4 hours ago, garydavidson said:

To me it appears Spoony kicks the foot of GMS which then connects with the ball the ball to change its direction.

I think that's exactly right. With hindsight, I'm not sure how anyone can see that any differently. Don't blame the ref for missing that one...it looks like a great tackle at full speed.

3 hours ago, Papa Jack said:

I think that's exactly right. With hindsight, I'm not sure how anyone can see that any differently. Don't blame the ref for missing that one...it looks like a great tackle at full speed.

Fair point makes you wonder how VAR would have worked.  Collum didn't think it was a penalty so presumably would not have asked for a review but would the Aberdeen players be able to persuade him to have a look.  Alternatively, would the cricket DRS system apply with both teams given say one challenge each?  If it was the cricket system my bet is Aberdeen would have used up their challenge long before.

Then, of course, there was our penalty which if converted would have made the issue academic.