New UEFA club competition

Abernethy Saint

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see a return to the old format of European Cup just for champions, Cup Winners Cup for cup winners and UEFA Cup for the best of the rest.

I think these competitions have really lost their way over the last couple of decades - too many of the same old mega-rich clubs playing each other over and over and over again. I read somewhere recently that viewing figures have really nose-dived too. Other than occasionally watching the CL final and of course watching the Saints European games, I haven't watched a CL or Europa League match in years. I think there's so much that could be done to shake these tournaments up but the small number of powerful clubs at the top will never allow anything to happen that doesn't directly benefit the richest.

There is speculation that the Chamions League will become even more exclusive, or perhaps even invitation only. It generates so much money we’re stuck with it I think. Also speculation it will become a single league played over a season, which has all sorts of implications for national leagues. What we could be looking at in the future is a Europe wide, 3 tier league system, presumably with promotion and relegation, including “non-league” teams qualifying for the third tier. 

Like you, I have no interest in it all beyond Saints (I don’t even watch the CL final). What it might eventually give us though is a league without the twisted sisters, but that would only be financially sustainable if it was subsidised by the elite set-up somehow.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see a return to the old format of European Cup just for champions, Cup Winners Cup for cup winners and UEFA Cup for the best of the rest.

I think these competitions have really lost their way over the last couple of decades - too many of the same old mega-rich clubs playing each other over and over and over again. I read somewhere recently that viewing figures have really nose-dived too. Other than occasionally watching the CL final and of course watching the Saints European games, I haven't watched a CL or Europa League match in years. I think there's so much that could be done to shake these tournaments up but the small number of powerful clubs at the top will never allow anything to happen that doesn't directly benefit the richest.

And should be two leg affairs, but someone wont maks enough money out o it

23 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

There is speculation that the Chamions League will become even more exclusive, or perhaps even invitation only. It generates so much money we’re stuck with it I think. Also speculation it will become a single league played over a season, which has all sorts of implications for national leagues. What we could be looking at in the future is a Europe wide, 3 tier league system, presumably with promotion and relegation, including “non-league” teams qualifying for the third tier. 

Like you, I have no interest in it all beyond Saints (I don’t even watch the CL final). What it might eventually give us though is a league without the twisted sisters, but that would only be financially sustainable if it was subsidised by the elite set-up somehow.

I suspect that's the way it's going too. Any UEFA proposal that doesn't make the richest clubs richer will result in those clubs threatening to walk away and form their own breakaway set-up, so they basically have UEFA over a barrel. Personally I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if those clubs carried out that threat, though - I basically see the mega-bucks super-club Champions League and regular domestic football as two completely different and barely comparable worlds anyway.

I think what many would have missed is that this announcement actually didn’t come from UEFA, but from the European Club Association (I think it’s called), made up of just the elite clubs, and there was just a token footnote to the effect that UEFA has to sign it off. There isn’t even a pretence now that UEFA are actually in charge, or that most clubs/countries in UEFA have any say at all in decision-making. How long will it be before the big clubs force through rule changes to suit them and the TV, like 4-quarter matches to allow more commercial breaks, no drawn matches, no obligation to give players to the national team etc.

I don’t think there’s anything that’s going to stop this direction of travel, and indeed there is an argument that it’s not a bad thing. There are upsides for diddy countries and clubs, but getting cash to them will be the biggest issue.

Edited by Abernethy Saint