Sevco 2012 v St Johnstone 23/09/18

jhq

With my limited tactical knowledge I’d say that we stood off them (squared) today. Most every time their man received the ball he had no one near him until he got the ball. Then our player had to go to him by which time he had time and space to pick out the next man who had no one near him. Multiply that all over the park and you lose - heavily. As poor as I’ve seen us play anywhere in quite a long time. Apology should be offered to those present today. A bit of honesty. Won’t happen though.

We've had plenty of good results at Ibrox under TW, he got it really wrong today but lets not start making it a conspiracy.

Poor line up + Poor tactics + Poor individual performances = Bad result

Simple as that really. Lessons hopefully learned and a reaction is needed on Wednesday. Best thing is they won't be stewing on that performance for too long before getting a chance to rectify it.

I'd love for TW to explain the decision to play Wotherspoon from the start, but won't hold my breath. Didn't offer anything but I think most of us would've predicted that pre-match.

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Scougall not even on the bench yet he plays a guy who is off form.

Its bizarre but no susprise really, hes spent the past 12 months trying to wedge Wotherspoon into the team without any success, I make that four different positions he's had a start in, while Scougall gets punted out of position for a few games then given up on.

We all have our favourites, I suppose.

We were pish today.

A shite team selection and a fair few players putting in poor performances.

Been said loads of times already, but throwing in Spoony who hasn't had a good game in  six months was just completely random, especially for the player who's been involved in 4 out of our 5 goals this season.

Our centre midfield is still nowhere near good enough, as everyone has said since the end of last season. Had an extra player in there and still had little constructive use of the ball or got in challenges in that first half.

Absolutely gifted them goals from start to finish. Their midfield and attack are good, but defence are poor. We missed a couple of great chance 1 on 1's thru on goal in the second half when Watt then Swanson put wide so if we'd been a bit more positive from the start then who knows.

Agree with earlier comment about Clark, every free kick against us round the box I expect a goal. Thought he was poor today as well as 3 of the 4 defenders.

I'd definitely have Ando in ahead of Shaughnessy, he's a far better defender.

That was how it used to be years back going to Ibrox and Celtic park, bottling it completely and getting steamrollered from start to finish. 

Not a massively enjoyable away day to be honest!!

Away and shite! 5 fkn goals. Embarrassment!   Trying to drum up enthusiasm to those fans who rarely go, saying we are playing well, looking good and exciting this season...   roll on the quarter final v Celtic midweek, that'll be fun!  

Doesnt do the goal difference any favours... humped 5-1.

After 6 games  we are 8th... chasing the top 6 spot... 

20180923_194023.jpg

Only our fourth defeat in our last 21 games; it was a bad day at the office, everyone has them. I don't think it's worth delving too deep into things and, as the manager said, there were key moments today that went against us. 

We create a great early chance through Wright that Wotherspoon should do better with but 10-15 minutes in find ourselves a goal down despite them not yet being in our box. Watt and Alston squander a great chance at 2-0, they go straight up the park and score. Watt misses another great opportunity at 3-0 then what looked a clear foul on Swanson goes unpunished immediately prior to the fourth. Key moments.

That's not to excuse some of the defending, which was way below the standard they've set over the past few weeks. I think we've seen enough this season to hope a lot of what we saw today was out of character. There are other issues that we've known are there but we've seen they can be overcome if we get other things right.

The players will know what is required on Wednesday. The manager is now in the situation where he can make changes (I think he was right to remain largely loyal to the players he went with today) but equally these guys have lost only two out of eleven matches this season and that deserves to be remembered.

1 hour ago, George Grieve said:

What happened to turning up to Ibrox and running at them and pumping them?

Feels like the old days when we were hoping not to get humped....

I’ve said it before on here...save the petrol and offer them a 3-0 by telephone......

Braw post there dude. I agree

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

Only our fourth defeat in our last 21 games; it was a bad day at the office, everyone has them. I don't think it's worth delving too deep into things and, as the manager said, there were key moments today that went against us. 

We create a great early chance through Wright that Wotherspoon should do better with but 10-15 minutes in find ourselves a goal down despite them not yet being in our box. Watt and Alston squander a great chance at 2-0, they go straight up the park and score. Watt misses another great opportunity at 3-0 then what looked a clear foul on Swanson goes unpunished immediately prior to the fourth. Key moments.

That's not to excuse some of the defending, which was way below the standard they've set over the past few weeks. I think we've seen enough this season to hope a lot of what we saw today was out of character. There are other issues that we've known are there but we've seen they can be overcome if we get other things right.

The players will know what is required on Wednesday. The manager is now in the situation where he can make changes (I think he was right to remain largely loyal to the players he went with today) but equally these guys have lost only two out of eleven matches this season and that deserves to be remembered.

What did you make of Clark today?

Easy to look at the Goalkeeper when you get pumped 5-1 but he was left badly exposed by a very disorganised defence. Tanser was all over the place leaving gaping holes down the left which dragged the centre back across to cover. We never had a sitting midfielder who could come in and cover the gaps meaning rangers were able to overload on the other side. 

Yes you could argue he shouldn't get beat at his near post but Morelos had a free shot from 6 yards and it was a good finish. He does need to work on his walls though still a great free kick. The Arfield one was a very awkward place for a goalie - too close to get with your hand but not close enough for a foot save. Nothing he could do against Lafferty or Candeias to be fair. 

Tommy has nowhere to go as far as moaning is concerned now. He stated he was happy with the squad & the chairman also put his hand in his pocket to bring in Swanson when he had signed the players he wanted.He can't say poor me the chairman won't open his purse.

We bring in attack minded players & go to Killie & Ibrox expecting them to stay in their own half. I don't think many players like or enjoy playing like that.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Think it's harsh to put too much on him. Have to see the free kick again but it's a worry that we conceded almost two identical goals successively. 

The rest he was horrendously exposed. 

McGinn for Aberdeen then Tavernier x2 today, second one hit the bar.

21 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

just watched replays.....is it not basic training for a wall to jump on free kicks? lead feet ffs....same with one that beat zander and hit bar

Looks like they are under instructions not to jump. There is no other explanation.

I wonder what the percentage of goal are scored by firing under the wall. Not many I would think.

Are folk seriously complaing about Zander? Not watched the game yet but there was nothing he could do with any of the goals! Tavs 2 freekicks an Mcginns were plain and simple quality strikes. 

We were poor today but got to give credit to Rangers today they played well . Are folk surprised Tommy sat back at Ibrox? thats his usual tactics but rangers played better and we never took our chances - on another day we could have scored 4or 5

9 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Its bizarre but no susprise really, hes spent the past 12 months trying to wedge Wotherspoon into the team without any success, I make that four different positions he's had a start in, while Scougall gets punted out of position for a few games then given up on.

We all have our favourites, I suppose.

It’s up to Scoogs to force his case,if hes  not,well  I’ll stick with a qualified coaching staff to do so

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

We were pish today.

A shite team selection and a fair few players putting in poor performances.

Been said loads of times already, but throwing in Spoony who hasn't had a good game in  six months was just completely random, especially for the player who's been involved in 4 out of our 5 goals this season.

Our centre midfield is still nowhere near good enough, as everyone has said since the end of last season. Had an extra player in there and still had little constructive use of the ball or got in challenges in that first half.

Absolutely gifted them goals from start to finish. Their midfield and attack are good, but defence are poor. We missed a couple of great chance 1 on 1's thru on goal in the second half when Watt then Swanson put wide so if we'd been a bit more positive from the start then who knows.

Agree with earlier comment about Clark, every free kick against us round the box I expect a goal. Thought he was poor today as well as 3 of the 4 defenders.

I'd definitely have Ando in ahead of Shaughnessy, he's a far better defender.

That was how it used to be years back going to Ibrox and Celtic park, bottling it completely and getting steamrollered from start to finish. 

Not a massively enjoyable away day to be honest!!

So was Ando part of the old days?