St Johnstone v Celtic Betfred Cup QF 26/09

Saint GB

After yesterday’s hammering no better way to make amends than to knock the holders out of the league cup

Really disappointed TW opted for one up front against Rangers . 5-1 is hard to take when we were set up to keep things tight and not to lose 

He has to go two up front on wednesday. Celtic are a shadow of the team from the last two seasons and I want us to go out there set up to focus on our strengths not to keep things tight 

Will be a really tough game - even more so now Celtic will  be wanting to get back to winning ways after getting beat from Killie again.

McMillen back in for spoony 

Let them worry about us - no coincidence or two worst performances of the season were when we played one up front - Hope TW recognises that

I hate being pessimistic but I think we are going to get a doing! All this negative talk from the media " Celtic in Crisis" etc etc and Chris Boyd piling in saying there is a divide in the Celtic changing room does not augur well for us. The Celtic team that turned out for the old firm game were a transformed side from the one we have seen this season which suggests to me that complacency has set in over there.

Lets hope we put out a team with a couple of strikers and take the game to them and Spoony is used as a sub late on.

23 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I hate being pessimistic but I think we are going to get a doing! All this negative talk from the media " Celtic in Crisis" etc etc and Chris Boyd piling in saying there is a divide in the Celtic changing room does not augur well for us. The Celtic team that turned out for the old firm game were a transformed side from the one we have seen this season which suggests to me that complacency has set in over there.

Lets hope we put out a team with a couple of strikers and take the game to them and Spoony is used as a sub late on.

I have that fear as well. It seems that Rodgers is leading the negative charge and I do worry that he will switch that round for Wednesday.  Although, as the unofficial twitter pointed out the last time we were pumped by Rangers we went on to beat Celtic in our next game. 

Celtic are still in disarray not least because Rodgers appears to have lost confidence.  He is supposed to be on £2.25 million (bankrolled in part by Desmond) so he won't be getting the sack soon as Celtic will baulk at the compensation levels.  His other escape route via a job with a middling English club is probably shut off for the moment as down south they think any decent manager should be able to walk the SPL.

That still means we will have to be up and at them.  A clean sheet at half time and maybe a goal up and their fans will begin to lose patience.  It will not be easy, unlike Kilmarnock we have a good playing surface and it was noticeable on BT that St.Mirren had narrowed their pitch.

Edited by south inch

5 hours ago, SaintJet said:

I think we should keep spoony til extra time when you can play a 4th sub :?::razz:.

I can remember a similar scoreline at Muirton in our first season back after promotion from the old B Division.  Again a League Cup Section game.

Crowds were not segregated in those days and I remember a Celtic supporter congratulating us on promotion and then offering a £5 bet that Celtic would score first.  £5 was a lot of money in those days and nobody would take him on.

Saints then scored and the fiver disappeared but out came a £1 note with the challenge "I'll still back my team, this says Celtic will score the next goal".  Again we were all feart and again Saints scored.

Out came a ten bob note and he was just getting into a fresh challenge when another Celtic supporter appeared with the words "see you - yous is a f**king Jonah, every time you open your mouth that lot score".  He emphasised his point by belting the other guy at which point Tayside's finest got involved and removed both of them.

2 hours ago, McCarry One Nil said:

I canny remember us EVER beating Celtic in a KNOCKOUT Cup Game. Is that right?

I saw us beat them 2-0 in 1981 in League Cup Section game at Muirton but no recollection of any other Cup win ever.

Great night to make history (if I'm right).

COYS!

Apparently beat them twice in the cup in 1961/62, both in August. Did we maybe beat them in the groups then the first knockout round after? No idea how it worked back then. 

Your game in 81 is the last one, a 2-0 win at McDiarmid.