St Johnstone v Celtic Betfred Cup QF 26/09

Saint GB

Why does Wotherspoon play?  We needed a feed for Watt, for example, McMillan, he got nout all first half, we are not good at going forward, as that shite displayed, did their keeper have a save to make? TW, what are your plans for the future of the saints, cos I am totally baffled about team selection, You must have a first eleven. and only change it when necessary, ie injury, suspension etc. but their are some players in there who are not up to scratch at the moment, why no place for Scougall? is a better midfielder than Wotherspoon or Craig that I have seen, but not even on the bench, Tommy, you must tell the fans what is going on behind the scenes, within reason, I undrstand that, but that tonight was poor, and celtic are not great either, they were there for the taking.

No doubt be mocked but not too unhappy with that. We were thumped 5-1 just a few days ago when we went expansive. so sitting tight was always the best option in hindsight.

Goal looked completely avoidable, looked like Clark could've safely caught it if Tanser didn't decide to stand right in front of him. Tanser then ****ed up the clearance and let Griffith take his chance. Is Tanser to blame? Or should Clark have been screaming at him? Probably never know.

A bit more quality with the final finish and could've snatched it, had a couple of wee half chances that weren't too far away, did feel inevitable for the first seventy or so minutes that Celtic were building to a goal.

Surprised at how negative the reaction is in here though, did folk not watch the game on Sunday where we "went for the win", "attacked Rangers" and "played attacking players"? We looked far more likely to win today than then.

It's easy to sit at home and criticise but, at the ground, I saw a team working their bollocks off to compete with an opponent that really stepped it up after half-time.

The manager could have selected different players that might have addressed a bit of a lack of composure/quality in the final third but then when you are going to be asked to defend a lot, you need to have guys you can trust doing those jobs. Playing lots of attacking players or what is perceived to be an "attacking formation" doesn't mean you will be able to just attack at will, especially against a team like Celtic.

Far more positives than Sunday but in cup football you only want the result and we didn't get that. I understand that disappointment but won't be critical of the players and find it hard to be of the manager on this occasion.

Saints players put everything into that, but there was a real inevitability about it, we were under so much pressure in the second half.

Its a tough one; be more attacking and go for it, but risk being wide open and they destroy you, or play the way we did and hope you can hold out and nick a goal. We did the latter, but to be honest they just wasted a lot of chances.  They were low in confidence, but by sitting back we allowed them to have plenty of the ball and get into their stride.

Against a team who were possibly vulnerable in a cup match at home, I'd like to have seen us go for it more. When we did get on the ball we were often careless and gave them it back far too easily.  They're still a strong side though regardless of recent form.

Don't want to be too critical of the players, a lot of decent performances. Clark, Foster, Shaughnessy, Alston, Wotherspoon, Callaghan and Drey Wright all did well. Wright is looking like an excellent signing.  

Keeping it to 0-1 after Ibrox is probably fine for Tommy. A second humping in a few days might have been a sore one for morale. Just hope we take the effort and commitment from tonight and add more quality in possession and ambition for the game at a Tynecastle on Saturday, and really have a go at Hearts.

5 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

We were hardly expansive at ibrox either

We were never winning that bar a 50/50 chance on penalties

We weren't "expansive" at Ibrox because the team was far too open and never had a chance to build attacks. The routine was Get ball - have nobody to pass too - lose ball - full backs/wingers/cms all caught wrong side of the ball - two centre halves left against four attackers - goal.

I don't see how trying the opposite of that, after a 5-1 defeat, is a bad thing?

Wotherspoon missed by inches at 0-0, that goes in we win 1-0 I'd reckon. Fine margins. We're never, ever, going to play Celtic and have more chances than them, the difference in quality is too much. Celtic had a £9m striker there today, with Rogic who played at the World Cup on the bench, why the **** do people think bombing folk forward and leaving these players with a free run at centre halves is a good tactic? 

We pap five attackers on the pitch, bomb forward at every opportunity, leave Edouard, McGregor, Forrest and Griffiths 4v2 with our CHs, and Celtic would do that, and lose 6-2. Every fan comes on here praising the attacking intent?

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Saints players put everything into that, but there was a real inevitability about it, we were under so much pressure in the second half.

Its a tough one; be more attacking and go for it, but risk being wide open and they destroy you, or play the way we did and hope you can hold out and nick a goal. We did the latter, but to be honest they just wasted a lot of chances.  They were low in confidence, but by sitting back we allowed them to have plenty of the ball and get into their stride.

Against a team who were possibly vulnerable in a cup match at home, I'd like to have seen us go for it more. When we did get on the ball we were often careless and gave them it back far too easily.  They're still a strong side though regardless of recent form.

Don't want to be too critical of the players, a lot of decent performances. Clark, Foster, Shaughnessy, Alston, Wotherspoon, Callaghan and Drey Wright all did well. Wright is looking like an excellent signing.  

Keeping it to 0-1 after Ibrox is probably fine for Tommy. A second humping in a few days might have been a sore one for morale. Just hope we take the effort and commitment from tonight and add more quality in possession and ambition for the game at a Tynecastle on Saturday, and really have a go at Hearts.

Don't disagree with any of that but.

It was a cup game at home.

The prospect of semi & big pay day.

Tommy signed a lot of attacking players & expects them to defend..

I think a lot of us would rather got beat 3-0 & got entertained than watch ten men behind ball & get beast by a fluke goal in the 88th minute.

Just now, Cagey said:

Don't disagree with any of that but.

It was a cup game at home.

The prospect of semi & big pay day.

Tommy signed a lot of attacking players & expects them to defend..

I think a lot of us would rather got beat 3-0 & got entertained than watch ten men behind ball & get beast by a fluke goal in the 88th minute.

Were you happier with Sundays result, or tonights?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

We weren't "expansive" at Ibrox because the team was far too open and never had a chance to build attacks. The routine was Get ball - have nobody to pass too - lose ball - full backs/wingers/cms all caught wrong side of the ball - two centre halves left against four attackers - goal.

I don't see how trying the opposite of that, after a 5-1 defeat, is a bad thing?

Wotherspoon missed by inches at 0-0, that goes in we win 1-0 I'd reckon. Fine margins. We're never, ever, going to play Celtic and have more chances than them, the difference in quality is too much. Celtic had a £9m striker there today, with Rogic who played at the World Cup on the bench, why the **** do people think bombing folk forward and leaving these players with a free run at centre halves is a good tactic? 

We pap five attackers on the pitch, bomb forward at every opportunity, leave Edouard, McGregor, Forrest and Griffiths 4v2 with our CHs, and Celtic would do that, and lose 6-2. Every fan comes on here praising the attacking intent?

All sounds great and agree we can never set up all game to match them, but far too late changing it to have a go, and it's a cup game so nothing to lose be it 1 nil or three nil, so as well throwing caution to the wind with twenty to go and go for it, only positive really is we defended better, but they missed a few sitters too.

5 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

All sounds great and agree we can never set up all game to match them, but far too late changing it to have a go, and it's a cup game so nothing to lose be it 1 nil or three nil, so as well throwing caution to the wind with twenty to go and go for it, only positive really is we defended better, but they missed a few sitters too.

It felt like the game had opened up for us and more and more counters were happening. We're more likely to win 1-0 than win 4-0, so I see no problem at with playing for the 1-0. 

FWIW he did change before the goal, Swanson was pushed forward and Craig moved left.

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

No to me we gave both teams too much respect.

I don't think thats the case at all. Celtic will pass around you if you press too high, and are weak to counter attacks. We chose the best system I'd say. There'll people who say "play your own game"/"let them worry about us", but thats just not realistic against Celtic.

Edited by RandomGuy

Have to say I thought the Saints support in the East Stand was really good tonight. Not in terms of numbers, but in the way everyone stuck behind the team and were really encouraging when we were up against it, quite a bit of vocal support as well.

On a night when many of us probably expected a bit of a doing, the easy option would be to save money and sit in the house to watch it. So fair play to everyone that made the effort.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Did spoon get his crowbar Oot 

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Have to say I thought the Saints support in the East Stand was really good tonight. Not in terms of numbers, but in the way everyone stuck behind the team and were really encouraging when we were up against it, quite a bit of vocal support as well.

On a night when many of us probably expected a bit of a doing, the easy option would be to save money and sit in the house to watch it. So fair play to everyone that made the effort.

Well said ,posted or something.agreed.

Not to be tonight . Paid my money and as always supported my team. Spoon for me had a good game tonight as did Alston . Backs to the wall with no out ball first half . Tony watt is not suitable for the lone striker role . Penalty box forward in my opinion. Second half had hoped we might have opened up and had a wee bit more o a go at them . Typical goal down then chuck on the additional striker. Tynecastle Saturday why not .