St Johnstone v Celtic Betfred Cup QF 26/09

Saint GB

1 minute ago, blueheaven said:

I haven't seen much of us this season but I'm not overly disappointed with last night - I'm a bit surprised by the reaction from some on here. If you set out to attack Celtic it may work, but there's also a very good chance of being left open at the back and ending up conceding 3 or 4 goals. As unattractive as it may be, I think our best chance by far of beating Celtic comes from keeping things as tight as possible at the back, working our arses off to block whatever they try, and hoping to either catch them on the break or land some good attacking set-pieces. I think we largely did that last night and weren't that far from pulling it off. But in the end we were beaten by a side with vastly more resources than us. Can we really have a lot of complaints about that?

I've seen Spoony getting it in the neck yet again and I'm not his biggest fan but I honestly thought he was excellent last night. He put in a pile of work, he was constantly looking for the ball, and he was pretty unlucky not to score a really good goal. I'm not sure what else people think he should have done?

So you are another one happy with a 1-0 defeat. I assume you would also be happy with 2-0 but unhappy with a 3-0 if we had at least tried to win the game. We have beaten or drawn with much better OF teams than that one.

I understand we didn't want another humping but it was a one of cup game with huge rewards & would at least have expected us to open up in last 15 mins when there was little chance of us getting humped.

33 minutes ago, Cagey said:

So you are another one happy with a 1-0 defeat. I assume you would also be happy with 2-0 but unhappy with a 3-0 if we had at least tried to win the game. We have beaten or drawn with much better OF teams than that one.

I understand we didn't want another humping but it was a one of cup game with huge rewards & would at least have expected us to open up in last 15 mins when there was little chance of us getting humped.

You seem to be putting words into my mouth - I didn't say I was happy with it.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Didn't see any new lights on the East Stand are they just on top of the main stand?

They are under the roof of the Main stand as you look from the east.

If your sitting half way up East Stand they seemed distracting to me. Don’t think they d be as bad if on roof and facing down on to pitch.

Not sure there are any in East Stand.

6519486D-9E28-45A3-805C-A5CCA87DB18D.jpeg

Edited by Strawman

10 hours ago, Strawman said:

If your sitting half way up East Stand they seemed distracting to me. Don’t think they d be as bad if on roof and facing down on to pitch.

I sit in the back row of the east stand around the middle and didn’t even notice them at all! :)

Sat about half way up the east stand & was not sure if they were new as usually sit further back & thought maybe I hadn't noticed them before.

They never bothered me .

Not sure why they installed them as I always thought the lights were fine.

Must be for telly as I can't see us lobbing out money unless we had to.

10 hours ago, Strawman said:

Braw.i can see me.

I’m in the camp that remains a bit disappointed we lined up so negatively on Wed night. But I’m not suggesting that we should have gone toe to toe with Celtic and gung-ho. Players like Swanson , Macmillan and Kennedy can play their part defensively and we could have set up in a defensive mindset but have the players on the pitch that could attack Celtic when the opportunities arose. Let’s be honest here we could still be playing that game now and not have scored! It was brutal to watch! It worries me that if we are not going to use this so called suped up squad against better teams then all we are doing is settling for bottom six but slightly better than bottom two as with the mindset from Wednesday night we ain’t getting anywhere near top six. 

8 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

And how do you say we lined up there, guns blazing or defensive...........!

Think we set up 4-4-1-1 with Williams off Maclean?  I was there but can't remember the formation that well to be honest.  We had the better chances in the first half but they came at us much more in the second according to the match report.  We 'won' the corner count 7-5 so I'd say we must have gone for it a bit. The corner count on Wednesday night was 1-13 !!

I think a draw away at Celtic in a league match is a great point, so could understand it if we'd been ultra defensive there. A home cup match less so.

2 hours ago, MySpazz said:

I was more focused on Sellick mob outnumbering us in every stand, then I saw the new lights and can see what we did with the money.........................infrastructure :)

Infrastructure infrastructure infra fuqing structure.

i wish the club would supply us all with earplugs so we cannae hear the dirty smelly smeltic scumbags sing about the ira.deport the lot of them,if they think south Ireland is so Braw.throw them out the league ,make them join the Eire league.

if we had a half decent tannoy man he would have cranked up music full volume .i don’t go to watch my team just to hear all that bollocks in 2018.