Hearts V St.Johnstone Saturday 29th September

SaintJet

Waste of money that was. Saints players standing off and admiring Hearts for 70 mins of the game. We are so deep, not capable of defending unless were in our last 20 yards. Defence was very poor, Tanser and Foster particularly but central defenders were too soft and lacked aggression. 

Wright was ok, rest anonymous. Swanson and Watt made an impact at least. Feel a bit cheated by that performance to be honest. Although we had chances yet again we gift the opposition 60/70% possession.

1 hour ago, Broon said:

Waste of money that was. Saints players standing off and admiring Hearts for 70 mins of the game. We are so deep, not capable of defending unless were in our last 20 yards. Defence was very poor, Tanser and Foster particularly but central defenders were too soft and lacked aggression. 

Wright was ok, rest anonymous. Swanson and Watt made an impact at least. Feel a bit cheated by that performance to be honest. Although we had chances yet again we gift the opposition 60/70% possession.

Maybe a strange thing to say but trying to get my head around our performance and reading other posts is helping piece it all together. Regularly agree with yourself anyway but much to concur with there.

Think the first word TW used in his post-match stuff was "frustrating" and it's probably the word I'd choose as well. 

It's still early in the season and you never want to make judgements on one game so I think after the matches to round off the first third of the regular season, it'll be an interesting time to take stock but, rightly or wrongly, TW is trying to remould Saints, playing from the back, passing the ball more but our decision making at times screams of team trying to adapt, quick free kicks or goal kicks when there isn't a second option for the first receiver, trying to pick an extra pass rather than just sticking it in the box etc... We got two corners today, the first of which didn't even get into the box because we mucked it up by overplaying it short.

I can't pretend there weren't times that the pragmatism of the past didn't frustrate me slightly but in reality, I liked what we were about and jibes from outside the club, as the players themselves routinely admitted, were music to the ears. I'm still figuring out this new Saints team and if I'm going to like it.

I think Tommy has recruited some talented attacking players but i fear he's created a very unbalanced squad. If you play with wingers and 9s and false 9s you absolutely have to have one maybe two dominant ball winners. Players to do the dirty work, win and move the ball. Keep the ball under pressure (ala Chris Millar). At the moment we have a big gaping hole in the middle of the park. We're somewhere between a good side and a weak side. 

I'm trying not to overreact as its been a tough run of fixtures but i also think we're caught between two playing styles. The old team of 2 or 3 years ago could drop deep and defend with Wright, Ando, Mackay and Easton. All day long. This team try and drop deep and there's nobody throwing their bodies in front of shots. Nobody putting tackles in. We just stand off. What frustrated me most is when we do start to press and play more direct and on the front foot supposedly invincible teams like Hearts start to crumble. We waited until were 2 down for that. Tommy needs to decide how to line this team up because unless he finds a solution in the middle he can't have them so passive.

Also, Swanson should be starting ahead of Kennedy. Far superior player.

Edited by Broon

3 minutes ago, Broon said:

I think Tommy has recruited some talented attacking players but i fear he's created a very unbalanced squad. If you play with wingers and 9s and false 9s you absolutely have to have one maybe two dominant ball winners. Players to do the dirty work, win and move the ball. Keep the ball under pressure (ala Chris Millar). At the moment we have a big gaping hole in the middle of the park. We're somewhere between a good side and a weak side. 

I'm trying not to overreact as its been a tough run of fixtures but i also think we're caught between two playing styles. The old team of 2 or 3 years ago could drop deep and defend with Wright, Ando, Mackay and Easton. All day long. This team try and drop deep and there's nobody throwing their bodies in front of shots. Nobody putting tackles in. We just stand off. What frustrated me most is when we do start to press and play more direct and on the front foot supposedly invincible teams like Hearts start to crumble. We waited until were 2 down for that. Tommy needs to decide how to line this team up because unless he finds a solution in the middle he can't have them so passive.

Also, Swanson should be starting ahead of Kennedy. Far superior player.

Agree, our centre midfield is dreadful. We gave hearts the ball back at every opportunity.

We are soft as shite. Barely committed a foul all day yet whenever we looked to get any chance of attacking hearts would happily concede a foul.

We had no leaders out there today. Hearts were efficient but we could easily have got something out the game if we’d been on it.

Fair play to the Saints fans there today who came away quite positive about our performance. I felt we did nothing until the game was gone. 

I thought we were pretty pish I’m afraid and hearts should have been out of sight by the time we started playing.

3 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I bought a NFL London season ticket for the October games. 

£600 for 2 tickets to 3 games!

Mug .

you could have bought a Saints season ticket .To blot  out crap games you get  pished  on the change and you would still have money left over for a crowbar.

3 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Both corners I believe 

We defended 13 corners against Celtic but can't defend 2 against them.

If Gordon isn't injured he should be in team as I think he is our strongest centre half.

Joe never gets booked because he never fouls.

We commited 3 fouls against Celtic & only 8 today. 

We have a lot of good attacking players but they are hamstring by Wright's negative tactics.

11 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Did anyone else buying tickets in person from the ticket office have to fill in a form first?

new unacceptable behaviour rules seemingly.. pain in the ass.. I suggested that if the purchaser is a season ticket holder, the club could get the details they require from  just showing your ST and fill it in themselves..  Just more ****ing  hassle, like we need it..