Saints v Celtic sunday

slf

Easy to get carried away after what was perhaps aside from Ochilview the worst 36 minutes(first 9 were ok) of football I've ever seen.

What's gone wrong with our team? We're soft. Weak. Lacking a leader. Centre halves? Timid. When Ando came in he was aggressive, on his toes. Joe and Kerr - weak. 

The worst part of the team, yet again, was the centre 3. All attacking midfielders. None can put a tackle on. Callachan's positional sense is a joke. I know he's trying to press but after being caught in front of the ball 15 or 20 times you'd think he's realise to stay goal side. Spoony is not a central midfielder.

Tommy has some tough choices but being honest Callachan looks a poor signing and Spoony isn't an answer. Alston needs defensive cover if he's to play. I wouldn't be upset if any of our central players moved on. Poor management of the playing pool.

Edited by Broon

13 minutes ago, Broon said:

Spoony is not a central midfielder.

A million times this. I feel sorry for him. If Tommy Wright asked him to play in goals he would.

He's being asked to play a position, and role, he simply can't play, and is being made a scapegoat because of that.

Only so many times you can blame a player for struggling in a role before you start looking at the man who keeps putting him there.

3 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Tough one to take of course but not sure a pumping from Celtic is reason for a full on meltdown tbh.

Why does it matter that it's Celtic? Losing heavily is something we're all used to, but being 5-0 down at half time? That's embarrassing no matter who we're playing.

Like most on here I had high hopes when I saw our signings. Unfortunately it has not turned out as hoped. We beat a few lowers league teams narrowly. Drew with QoS & beat Dundee & Hamilton but everyone does. We did get draws with Hibs & Aberdeen but we have never been convinced that we are a top 6 team that we thought we would be at start of season.

55 minutes ago, Broon said:

Easy to get carried away after what was perhaps aside from Ochilview the worst 36 minutes(first 9 were ok) of football I've ever seen.

What's gone wrong with our team? We're soft. Weak. Lacking a leader. Centre halves? Timid. When Ando came in he was aggressive, on his toes. Joe and Kerr - weak. 

The worst part of the team, yet again, was the centre 3. All attacking midfielders. None can put a tackle on. Callachan's positional sense is a joke. I know he's trying to press but after being caught in front of the ball 15 or 20 times you'd think he's realise to stay goal side. Spoony is not a central midfielder.

Tommy has some tough choices but being honest Callachan looks a poor signing and Spoony isn't an answer. Alston needs defensive cover if he's to play. I wouldn't be upset if any of our central players moved on. Poor management of the playing pool.

Have to agree with this 100%. Very poor team selection and tactics ,just wish the manager, put his hand up and admit his errors, we move on, keep the faith.

28 minutes ago, GMac said:

Have to agree with this 100%. Very poor team selection and tactics ,just wish the manager, put his hand up and admit his errors, we move on, keep the faith.

Tell us then what would your team selection have been. 

Hindsight is a great thing. 

Week past Wednesday we played Celtic lost 1-0 and Tommy got slated by some on here for being too defensively minded and not having a more attacking set up.

Fast forward 10 days and Tommy put a side on the park which I thought looked good pre kick off. Normal back 4, midfield 3 with 2 wide men that can keep the attacking full backs busy and one striker. 

Only change I would have made would have been Watt up front if he had been fit. 

First 10-15 mins we had chances and probably should have buried at least 1 of the chances. 

After that daft mistakes and a celtic team who were like the celtic of old and were attack attack attack. Probably get slated but for this but I think very few sides would have lived with Celtic in that 30 minutes. I see Rodgers is quoted as saying the best half hour of football they have played under him. 

Second half was pure damage limitation.

No good crying over it now, we have to knuckle down and get sorted for Motherwell. 

And before Cagey or any other smart ass makes a comment about me not being bothered about losing to celtic. Just don't even bother :evil: 

32 minutes ago, mainstand said:

How come 3 games?

It is 1 game if stopping a goal scoring opportunity or 2 if it is violent conduct or serious foul play. 

Ok used to be three games. So it will be two as sent off for serious foul play! Mind you that tackle was the closest any Saints player got to an opposition player all afternoon

I think blaming the tactics is missing the bigger issue. I was reasonably okay with the line up, though I said I’d have preferred Craig as a sitting midfielder to either one of Spoony or Callahan, and was surprised we didn’t make use of his experience in there.

If a full back slips on the ball and let’s a player run straight thru on goal, if the two centre backs fail to put pressure/ win a header against the strikers the entire first half to the point where they’re regularly allowed to turn, if the three central midfielders won’t put in a strong challenge the whole half etc etc.. then it doesn’t matter what line up and tactics you go for.

We are soft and heartless throughout the team. Second half Sinclair looks to be getting away in a dangerous position so Ando takes him out and takes the booking. 

We didn’t do that once in the first half. Tanser and others let Forrest etc back them into the penalty box to the point where they couldn’t risk a challenge time and time again.

If a midfielder or Tanser or Joe takes them out in midfield then danger averted and everyone can get back. Yes a few more bookings, but share the fouls around the team.

We used to be streetwise. Now I think everyone will love playing against us until we learn to do the dirty work.

Knew it was going to be a bad day when I got stopped going in by a steward who insisted on frisking me before going in. Season Ticket holder in the West Stand - did they have Intel that the Tartan Rug and bunnet brigade were planning a pyro party ? Totally over the top - they insisted on checking everybody even gave SLF a going over without any protective gear on.