Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

6 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Folk are defending the guy by saying TW played him out of position when, in my eyes, an attacking midfield role in a three behind a lone striker should be something he was capable of. If he is only able to play as a "ten" then that's pretty inflexible and doesn't bode well for his ability to operate in a more defensive role.

players like Silva Messi Isco and Hazard can all play in any of the 3 attacking positions behind the striker because they are playing with attacking sides with not much defensive duties wheras our wide attackers have to track and defend so its a totally different posiyion from the no.10 role.

im guessing folk are saying we may as well try him in the holding role as the guys in there just now arent doing a good enough job. think he played this role when he came on in the Trakai game at home. I remember being impressed with how well he got stuck in and drove the team forward. 

Was Nydam not brought in for this position?

I thought Scougall looked very promising in a dire team last season. There are a lot of stats about his lack of contribution but he didn't really have anything inspiring to work with.  With the width and threat we have upfront this season it is disappointing not to have seen what he would be capable of in this team.

20 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

What attributes is that Scougall has that makes folk think he would be an effective holding midfielder?

He can pass the ball but does he have the discipline and positional knowledge to know what pass to make (or more importantly not make) in that area? The second a player gives away the ball in that part of the pitch, you are always likely to give up a chance; that's what made Morris and Millar so good, they didn't give the ball away.

There is also the defensive side of it, helping out the full back (badly missing in recent weeks, although not helped on Sunday by the man-for-man system the manager wanted to employ), cutting out a pass by being in the right position, making it hard for the opposition to make passes due to the same ability, and of course tackling; Millar was expert at winning the ball by staying on his feet, so he was then in a position to use the ball.

You'll have seen a lot more of him in action than I have,  but from what I've seen he's tidy on the ball, a confident passer, has good vision, and is mobile with good workrate. I agree he's not perfect for the role and would need to learn it, but the same was true of Millar who used to play out wide for us when he first arrived. Does Scougall really have fewer attributes for the position than our other central midfielders?

I completely agree with you that finding someone to take Millar's place should have been a far bigger priority than it seems to have been.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I completely agree with you that finding someone to take Millar's place should have been a far bigger priority than it seems to have been.

Definitely.

I wonder if Callaghan was seen as a ball winning central midfielder before he signed? Though that doesn't appear to be his style on the few games hes played so far.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Definitely.

I wonder if Callaghan was seen as a ball winning central midfielder before he signed? Though that doesn't appear to be his style on the few games hes played so far.

Just a guess but I think he was signed as a cheap back up to Muzz, in the "easier to destroy than create" midfield role.

I'm a huge Scougall fanboy but don't think he could play the Millar role. He played quite deep for Livingston a few times but that was more through choice, he was never a holding midfielder.

I think him, Davidson and Craig central could work well, with Muzz/Liam sitting deeper/moving forward and Scougall bringing the ball through the thirds. 

16 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Just a guess but I think he was signed as a cheap back up to Muzz, in the "easier to destroy than create" midfield role.

I'm a huge Scougall fanboy but don't think he could play the Millar role. He played quite deep for Livingston a few times but that was more through choice, he was never a holding midfielder.

I think him, Davidson and Craig central could work well, with Muzz/Liam sitting deeper/moving forward and Scougall bringing the ball through the thirds. 

Other than the Cup game almost 5 (five) years ago, how often did you see Scougall play for Livi?

And what does "bringing the ball through the thirds" mean?

I'm not averse to giving Scougall a go in the Millar role, but like Radford,  I'm not sure there is enough evidence to suggest that he can play that role. 

On 10/12/2018 at 1:13 PM, jhq said:

Other than the Cup game almost 5 (five) years ago, how often did you see Scougall play for Livi?

And what does "bringing the ball through the thirds" mean?

I'm not averse to giving Scougall a go in the Millar role, but like Radford,  I'm not sure there is enough evidence to suggest that he can play that role. 

I'm sure I seen him three or four times for them, a few times for Sheffield United, always looked better central and our of place wide. Sheffield United seemed to play him more on the left wing than the right, with a full back supporting him, and that's the best I seen him play wide. I've asked Livingston fans where his best role was for them, so interested to see what they say.

Bringing the ball through the thirds is pretty obvious really.

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I'm sure I seen him three or four times for them, a few times for Sheffield United, always looked better central and our of place wide. Sheffield United seemed to play him more on the left wing than the right, with a full back supporting him, and that's the best I seen him play wide. I've asked Livingston fans where his best role was for them, so interested to see what they say.

Get yer Crowbar in

22 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

So you're talking about seeing him on telly then?  For Sheffield Utd, not Livingston as your first post stated?

And I'm well aware what playing through the thirds means.  It's obvious that you don't though.  You obviously heard it mentioned on the telly and crowbarred it into this discussion.

7 minutes ago, jhq said:

So you're talking about seeing him on telly then?  For Sheffield Utd, not Livingston as your first post stated?

And I'm well aware what playing through the thirds means.  It's obvious that you don't though.  You obviously heard it mentioned on the telly and crowbarred it into this discussion.

Are you expecting me to attend Livingston games? I seen him when they played against us, and I'm certain they were on TV in the Cup a few times when he played there.

He used to come deep, take the ball off defenders and drive forwards with it.

6 minutes ago, jhq said:

That is a terrible post - who are you to decide if someone is allowed to post on this forum?

I never said he can't post on the forum, but at least the last ten posts I've made on here have had him quoting me with different used of the word crowbar, so I asked him to stop.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, RandomGuy said:

23 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Are you expecting me to attend Livingston games? I seen him when they played against us, and I'm certain they were on TV in the Cup a few times when he played there.

He used to come deep, take the ball off defenders and drive forwards with it.

I never said he can't post on the forum, but at least the last ten posts I've made on here have had him quoting me with different used of the word crowbar, so I asked him to stop.

Given your sense of authority when talking about Scougall's role and playing style when playing for Livi, your claim that you saw him play for them 3 or 4 times as well as a few times for Sheffield Utd, then yes, I thought you were talking about attending games and seeing him live.  Not a few highlights from Cup games.  Let's face it, most Cup highlights up here are very brief (goals, pens, red cards and maybe one or two near misses).  Also his time at Livi was years ago - do you not think he might evolved and developed a wee bit since then?

1 hour ago, jhq said:

Given your sense of authority when talking about Scougall's role and playing style when playing for Livi, your claim that you saw him play for them 3 or 4 times as well as a few times for Sheffield Utd, then yes, I thought you were talking about attending games and seeing him live.  Not a few highlights from Cup games.  Let's face it, most Cup highlights up here are very brief (goals, pens, red cards and maybe one or two near misses).  Also his time at Livi was years ago - do you not think he might evolved and developed a wee bit since then?

Sense of authority? Everyone I've said has clearly been an opinion. 

20 minutes ago, jhq said:

Okay.  Just thought you had seen an awful lot more of Scougall than you actually have. 

To be fair you did read his post wrong.

He said he never saw highlights but full live games when he played for Livi v Saints and also a live cup game. So he saw exactly the amount that he mentioned.

Also you should be fighting for him to stay on the forum so that you still have a purpose. 

27 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

To be fair you did read his post wrong.

He said he never saw highlights but full live games when he played for Livi v Saints and also a live cup game. So he saw exactly the amount that he mentioned.

Also you should be fighting for him to stay on the forum so that you still have a purpose. 

His post (below) suggests he saw him more than one game against Saints and one live cup match.

I thought the purpose of the forum was to discuss things. Sorry if that is not the case. 

On 10/14/2018 at 9:28 AM, RandomGuy said:

43 minutes ago, jhq said:

His post (below) suggests he saw him more than one game against Saints and one live cup match.

I thought the purpose of the forum was to discuss things. Sorry if that is not the case. 

It does indeed and his post says he saw him more than once "I'm sure I seen him three or four times for them" when he was mentioning the Saints v Livi games.

Nothing wrong with discussing Saints but you seem to only ever discuss post by randomguy or any associated with him.