Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

Very sad to see a small number of people on here continually trying to imply that all Tommy has done for us is win the Cup (especially when they're doing things like making up the formation we supposedly played to make him look worse). He has consistently succeeded with Saints and delivered strong league finishing positions - a better run of league positions than any other Saints manager has ever achieved. I'll also repeat what I say on here quite often, which is that every single time we've gone through a slump of bad results under Tommy, he has successfully managed to pull us out of it. When people start trying to downplay our greatest ever manager's achievements I really start to wonder about what their agendas are.

And no I don't think he should be above all criticism - but surely there's some middle ground between criticising a manager and leaping straight to the knee-jerk reaction of calling for him to be replaced.

54 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Very sad to see a small number of people on here continually trying to imply that all Tommy has done for us is win the Cup (especially when they're doing things like making up the formation we supposedly played to make him look worse). He has consistently succeeded with Saints and delivered strong league finishing positions - a better run of league positions than any other Saints manager has ever achieved. I'll also repeat what I say on here quite often, which is that every single time we've gone through a slump of bad results under Tommy, he has successfully managed to pull us out of it. When people start trying to downplay our greatest ever manager's achievements I really start to wonder about what their agendas are.

And no I don't think he should be above all criticism - but surely there's some middle ground between criticising a manager and leaping straight to the knee-jerk reaction of calling for him to be replaced.

You tell them dude .

Guest ScottMann
1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Middle ground doesn't exist when it comes to Saints, just as  when someone suggests spending a bit of money they get Gretna. Dundee, Motherwell thrown at them. 

short memories of some, football is meant to full of ups and downs, we've just been a bit more spoilt of late

i remember us losing 7-0 at home to Advocaats Rangers in Nov. 1998, the only time I've ever came close to leaving any football match early - Dad held me back ...

then in glorious Saintee style 5 months later we won at home in April 1999, 3-1, first time I'd witnessed us beating Rangers (born 1970)

Jim Weir scored at near post (we'd been moved into west stand) and he went mental as you'd expect, Miguel Simao scored 2nd in 70+ minutes then Kieran McEnespie sealed it on the break in 90mins.

Football eh,

its why we love it, sometimes we forget that need lows to appreciate the highs

Saintee til i die...

27 minutes ago, St Pedro said:

short memories of some, football is meant to full of ups and downs, we've just been a bit more spoilt of late

i remember us losing 7-0 at home to Advocaats Rangers in Nov. 1998, the only time I've ever came close to leaving any football match early - Dad held me back ...

then in glorious Saintee style 5 months later we won at home in April 1999, 3-1, first time I'd witnessed us beating Rangers (born 1970)

Jim Weir scored at near post (we'd been moved into west stand) and he went mental as you'd expect, Miguel Simao scored 2nd in 70+ minutes then Kieran McEnespie sealed it on the break in 90mins.

Football eh,

Saintee til i die...

I remember the 7-0 & only 6 days later we beat Celtic. I think that might have been the McAnespie last minute winner from a Mahe cross.

29 minutes ago, St Pedro said:

Football eh,

Saintee til i die...

The week after that 7-0 gubbing we beat Septic thanks to a brilliant cross from the bye-line from Riseth(?)

3 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I remember the 7-0 & only 6 days later we beat Celtic. I think that might have been the McAnespie last minute winner from a Mahe cross.

Sorry we must have commented at the same time. Someone with a better memory might be able to confirm who put the cross in, I don’t remember it as being last minute though.

2 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

The week after that 7-0 gubbing we beat Septic thanks to a brilliant cross from the bye-line from Riseth(?)

Sorry we must have commented at the same time. Someone with a better memory might be able to confirm who put the cross in, I don’t remember it as being last minute though.

Riseth - one of the best crosses I've ever seen

6 hours ago, St Pedro said:

Football eh,

Saintee til i die...

I remember this as well not only for the score but the next day at my work premises one of my drivers a Teddy Bear called Rab left a tine of 7 up on my desk for me starting work.

Got my own back by winding him up about his future work schedules.

Funny to see about half the Ormond Stand celebrating that goal, looks like it's mixed.

I remember the first time Celtic came to McDiarmid (around December 1990?) and we won 3-2, with 3 sides of the ground being Saints fans. Didn't really appreciate how good that was at the time, would love to experience that at least once again, but can't see it ever happening.

Yep I'm pretty sure it was always mixed, going right back to when the ground first opened, because the idea was that it was the "family stand" and was for any families, regardless of allegiance. I have a very clear memory of sitting in the Ormond Stand during McDiarmid's early years, and seeing regular Saints fans suddenly support one of the Old Firm while sitting in their usual seat when they came to visit. Was always flabbergasted by that mindset.

18 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

I certainly would if I were TW.

Brown is an utter clown.

It’s always been about the coin, I understand using Randoms statement it’s a business but it’s farcical sometimes.

Offering amateur contracts to boys going full time instead of £125 a week. Paying youth coaches £50 per week working out around £3 an hour. Using numerous volunteers to help run the Academy and club. Not replacing a General Manager, which they need desperately etc etc etc

The thought of others going bust by paying top wages is a correct one but surely there has to be a balance. Maybe it’s the plan to go down, take the money and move on.

14 minutes ago, sasha said:

It’s always been about the coin, I understand using Randoms statement it’s a business but it’s farcical sometimes.

Offering amateur contracts to boys going full time instead of £125 a week. Paying youth coaches £50 per week working out around £3 an hour. Using numerous volunteers to help run the Academy and club. Not replacing a General Manager, which they need desperately etc etc etc

The thought of others going bust by paying top wages is a correct one but surely there has to be a balance. Maybe it’s the plan to go down, take the money and move on.

And yet most seasons we run at a loss, unless we sell a player. We haven't had much over 2500 home fans only at a game at McDiarmid for long enough.

Its just pie in the sky economics you're coming away with.

But that's separate from this summer's transfer business, which has been poor.