Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

I'm still prepared to give this run of 'easy' fixtures only because we have had similar runs in the past.......but this feels different.  I really think he does not know how to get the best out of our attacking options and the defence is a shambles.

Big month coming up of we are still on the bottom two then it has to be good by 

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

4 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

I'm still prepared to give this run of 'easy' fixtures only because we have had similar runs in the past.......but this feels different.  I really think he does not know how to get the best out of our attacking options and the defence is a shambles.

Big month coming up of we are still on the bottom two then it has to be good by 

Agree with all of that. Same observations every week and no sign of even trying anything different. Red flags were as plain as day during the Betfred.

Look back to last season McCann at Dundee got punted after 8 games.......a change of manager did not do them any good.

Stick with Tommy but him and his backroom team need to realize that playing Stevie May up front alone with a big gap to midfield does not work.

No idea who was meant to be playing close as a 10 to May  and do not think the players did either.

For the number of defence minded coaches why are we crap at defending set plays??

My worry is that, the Chairman has said before that he knows whom he would appoint if Tommy were to go. That makes me think it would be Cleland. The appointment of assistants after a manager is sacked never works because the players don’t feel there is any real change. It always feels like a club us cutting costs and gearing up for relegation.

There would be lots of good applicants for this job, but I don’t think the Chairman would appoint any of them. Therefore it’s important to stick with Tommy, or else we could be in even worse trouble.

Our next 3 games are against what should be the bottom 3 clubs on paper, and so they are must wins. The following 2 are against teams out of sorts that we could snatch draws from.

29 minutes ago, Linky said:

My worry is that, the Chairman has said before that he knows whom he would appoint if Tommy were to go. That makes me think it would be Cleland. The appointment of assistants after a manager is sacked never works because the players don’t feel there is any real change. It always feels like a club us cutting costs and gearing up for relegation.

There would be lots of good applicants for this job, but I don’t think the Chairman would appoint any of them. Therefore it’s important to stick with Tommy, or else we could be in even worse trouble.

Our next 3 games are against what should be the bottom 3 clubs on paper, and so they are must wins. The following 2 are against teams out of sorts that we could snatch draws from.

Our record when doing this is fairly good to be fair...

34 minutes ago, byebyedundee said:

Clelland needs to go and bring McKay as assistant, Have a chat with Levien and get McClean back to assist May..

Dave Mackay is currently James McPake at Dundee. 

Dundee can barely win a game and sit with one point more than Arbroath.

Why do you think he would improve things?

Tommy Wright insists slip-ups are to blame for St Johnstone's woes, not his system. Wright says his formation is not the reason his side are bottom of the Premiership. (Scottish Sun, print edition)

Now I know that “reports” in the media should always be taken with a pinch of salt & their “accuracy” should always be questioned, but if our current management can not see that their formation is not working and persist with one up front and allowing that player to become isolated throughout the match is not a problem, then I fear for us this season. As things stand we’ve only had one win this season (Brechin). Our current league position doesn’t lie. We’ve not been in a winning position in any of our league matches and been pegged back, we’re the ones that have had to do the equalising. Our last league win was in May and the last time we started a season so badly we were relegated. Now I’ve been a Saints supporter since I was 10 and the days of Rennie, Morton, Brogan, Tulloch and Rutherford to name but a few. I’m a season ticket holder and like before when we’ve been relegated I never have, nor will I ever stop supporting my team. However, no manager, historic and most likely once in a lifetime cup wins aside, is immune from being replaced. Any manager at any club in the world simply has stewardship of that respective club for a while and if Mr Wright and his players don’t start turning this around soon then Tommy, as much as it will pain & hurt us, will be replaced. 

I wish one of the MODS would get rid of this stupid thread. It's ridic to even be thinking about this line of doom.

There is a long long way to go before we know where this team is headed; last year at his time everyone was excited about how TW had replaced most of the old gaurd and we had an exciting young team on the park. 

6 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I wish one of the MODS would get rid of this stupid thread. It's ridic to even be thinking about this line of doom.

There is a long long way to go before we know where this team is headed; last year at his time everyone was excited about how TW had replaced most of the old gaurd and we had an exciting young team on the park. 

I would suggest that it’s not for you to make that call. Something isn’t working with the club we all support, and it’s perfectly legitimate to discuss what’s going on - including examining the manager’s role in it and, yes, whether things have turned stale or not, or if a change is needed (or not).

35 minutes ago, Saints11 said:

Tommy Wright insists slip-ups are to blame for St Johnstone's woes, not his system. Wright says his formation is not the reason his side are bottom of the Premiership. (Scottish Sun, print edition)

Now I know that “reports” in the media should always be taken with a pinch of salt & their “accuracy” should always be questioned, but if our current management can not see that their formation is not working and persist with one up front and allowing that player to become isolated throughout the match is not a problem, then I fear for us this season. As things stand we’ve only had one win this season (Brechin). Our current league position doesn’t lie. We’ve not been in a winning position in any of our league matches and been pegged back, we’re the ones that have had to do the equalising. Our last league win was in May and the last time we started a season so badly we were relegated. Now I’ve been a Saints supporter since I was 10 and the days of Rennie, Morton, Brogan, Tulloch and Rutherford to name but a few. I’m a season ticket holder and like before when we’ve been relegated I never have, nor will I ever stop supporting my team. However, no manager, historic and most likely once in a lifetime cup wins aside, is immune from being replaced. Any manager at any club in the world simply has stewardship of that respective club for a while and if Mr Wright and his players don’t start turning this around soon then Tommy, as much as it will pain & hurt us, will be replaced. 

I said much the same on twitter earlier. TW not actually seeing the deficiencies in our tactical setup is setting off major alarm bells for me. 

We seem to constantly go behind with his shape, then we he changes things and goes 2 up with 20 mins to go, all of a sudden the game changes. 

I am now very, very concerned and I wasn’t before. 

1 hour ago, andrew said:

I would suggest that it’s not for you to make that call. Something isn’t working with the club we all support, and it’s perfectly legitimate to discuss what’s going on - including examining the manager’s role in it and, yes, whether things have turned stale or not, or if a change is needed (or not).

"Shut it down" is the classic position when you have a weak position and can't really argue with reality or the opposing view.  In the context of Saints current predicament, it comes from living in the past.  We won a cup and had some high league finishes under the current manager, which of course was brilliant. However, MOH, Danny and now Stevie back at the club (some multiple times) don't give a sense of moving forward.  I believe that managers and players have a shelf-life at any club, and god knows, we could do with some fresh ideas and perspective now.  As to the question that's always asked - "who would replace Tommy?" - has Paul Sheerin's name been mentioned?  Did a pretty good job with Arbroath when he was there until you could argue he hit the skids with a club not equipped to play in the higher league he got them into.  His record with U20s since has been quite impressive as I understand it.

Edited by HertsAgain

I don't entirely disagree with this post but I'm not sure giving the job to Paul Sheerin helps in terms moving the club forward either, as it would again be a returning ex player albeit in a different role.

If Wright is to leave (and I'm not there yet) I'd rather we went for someone without a previous connection with the club again. Coyle, McInnes (I know he played for us for a while before becoming the manager but he was still relatively new to the club), Lomas and Wright have all been great successes when we've cast the net a little bit further than who we've had at the club before. Doesn't always work obviously but I think the ceiling is higher for someone like that than a Sheerin or a Jim Weir type.