Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

On 10/1/2019 at 2:41 PM, Linky said:

If it was someone from outside, he'd say something like 'we'd see what options are available at the time, but I have someone in mind'. Otherwise, how would he know the person would both be available and accept the job?

I think you're reading way too much into that. Having someone in mind means just that: he has someone in mind. It could be anyone, anywhere. Whether or not the person in question already works for Saints isn't implied in the slightest.

48 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think that's very possibly the harshest thing I've ever read on here.

I do think Saturday had that kind of feel to it. Terrible defending, misplaced passes and thousands of Saints fans not bothering to turn up and support their team.

Time to move on and get three points in Dingwall. Imperative we get at least a point.

COYS!!

For those that think we will be OK in the lower divisions because we were there before and it was fun etc etc (it wasn't by the way)

Be of the perils of dropping out and not returning 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/we-re-in-the-second-tier-and-we-can-t-afford-it-inverness-ct-beg-shareholders-for-cash-amid-administration-fears-and-800k-losses-each-year-1-5016583/amp?__twitter_impression=true

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think you're reading way too much into that. Having someone in mind means just that: he has someone in mind. It could be anyone, anywhere. Whether or not the person in question already works for Saints isn't implied in the slightest.

Maybe you're right, it just struck me when I first read it.

17 hours ago, mainstand said:

You missed out the line UNLESS HE TURNS IT AROUND! or are you just discounting that theory??

Personally I am a fan of NOT sacking the manager, so of course, the hope is he turns it around....but the evidence of the past 30....40 matches is not favourable given how the industry works. Just saying...not hoping! 

Guest ScottMann
On 10/2/2019 at 3:24 PM, garydavidson said:

To see if people are actually thinking about what they are saying. Very easy to just say change it, Dundee did that last season and still went down. If anyone is so convinced that Tommy should go they must have some idea of who they would want in to replace him.

It's two seperate pieces of knowledge though. Recognising one person has run their course is totally different to knowing who in the football world is available or interested in taking a job. How many Killie fans would have had come up with Alessio's name when thinking of Clark's successor. There is a whole world out there that we know little about that doesn't include the usual suspects of McCall, McCann and Stubbs etc. 

For the record I don't think Tommy has run his course yet. It's a terrible spell but one that I think we'll come out of.

Guest ScottMann
On 10/3/2019 at 3:01 PM, Havana Saint said:

They will be the new Sevco if they are not careful.

Nah. Doncaster and Scottish football in general wouldn't dissolve into a frenzied panic while trying to rearrange the whole domestic game in an underhand attempt to pander to them and pretend they were still alive. 

4 hours ago, ScottMann said:

It's two seperate pieces of knowledge though. Recognising one person has run their course is totally different to knowing who in the football world is available or interested in taking a job. How many Killie fans would have had come up with Alessio's name when thinking of Clark's successor. There is a whole world out there that we know little about that doesn't include the usual suspects of McCall, McCann and Stubbs etc. 

For the record I don't think Tommy has run his course yet. It's a terrible spell but one that I think we'll come out of.

The difference being that Killie didn't sack a manager and were on a great run of form.  Will the same candidates be willing to go for a team that hasn't won a game having played three quarters of the other teams?

4 hours ago, ScottMann said:

How many Killie fans would have had come up with Alessio's name when thinking of Clark's successor.

Is this meant to be suggesting hes been a success there?

His record has them winning 2 games out of 7 in the league, scoring 5 goals in those 7 games, and being knocked out of Europe by a part time Welsh side.

It's hardly something to suggest getting rid of TW and hiring an unknown would bring us huge success is it.

Too early to have these kind of discussions. This season, ignoring the cup, we've been beaten 4 times. Two of these by the old firm where we should have played a lot better but really we would have been dreaming to get points from those games. The other 2 were defeats by a single goal where the teams were equally poor and could easily have been draws. So while we havent be getting wins, there is only two teams where the gulf in quality is really evident. Its maybe a poor start but we just need to weather the storm.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:03 PM, Rob said:

Too early to have these kind of discussions. This season, ignoring the cup, we've been beaten 4 times. Two of these by the old firm where we should have played a lot better but really we would have been dreaming to get points from those games. The other 2 were defeats by a single goal where the teams were equally poor and could easily have been draws. So while we havent be getting wins, there is only two teams where the gulf in quality is really evident. Its maybe a poor start but we just need to weather the storm.

Every team outside the cheeks will go through a period like this, Saints are just early! Hopefully Tommy will rally the team for a while and pull clear....that said I suspect it could be a bunfight between 5/6 teams for the drop this year.

1 hour ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Every team outside the cheeks will go through a period like this, Saints are just early! Hopefully Tommy will rally the team for a while and pull clear....that said I suspect it could be a bunfight between 5/6 teams for the drop this year.

The Supercomputer says we will finish 10 th on 36 points

Hammy 11 th 35 points

Midden  12 th 35 points.

2 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Welcome back Smarmy. I agree with you, but could be as many as 8 teams in bunfight for play off spot.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/jim-spence/992183/jim-spence-tommy-wright-is-the-man-to-get-st-johnstone-moving-up-the-table/

"JIM SPENCE: Tommy Wright is the man to get St Johnstone moving up the table

There have been mutterings of disaffection from some St Johnstone fans about manager Tommy Wright after Saints’ dire start to the season.

The club’s current position propping up the Premiership table needs quickly remedied.

Wright’s side on paper is equipped to move further up the league but the table doesn’t lie.

Without a win in their opening seven league games, and only five goals scored with 18 conceded, it makes grim reading.

However, these are early days and Wright is a smart operator who has been over the course before.

His team are down but far from out.

Saints aren’t isolated, with Hibernian only two points and Hearts just three points, ahead of them.

Both of those clubs have budgets which Wright can only dream about, and their plight proves that no club, irrespective of reputation or previous achievements, can rest on its laurels.

Restoring Stevie May to his previous full potential, tightening up a defence which needs to deal with set pieces better and ensuring that better possession in games like last weekend’s defeat from Motherwell translates to goals, are all things which need to be addressed.

However, some Saints fans who are thinking a change of manager is required should be very careful what they wish for.

Managers can’t rest on their record or live on previous achievements, but Wright is doing none of these things.

He is going through a tough period, and at times scratching his head as to how to fix things, but his pedigree points to him being able to correct the situation.

Knee-jerk reactions in changing managers can have very long lasting and seriously damaging effects on a football club.

A miserable period of form, which a team can eventually emerge from given patience, is infinitely preferable to a fashionable change of boss, which can lead to a club rapidly losing its way, and taking years to recover from.

The old saying you never miss the water till the well runs dry is very apt.

Supporters who think a new man at the helm is the answer might find if their wish was granted that a long period of drought followed, leaving them thirsting for the many good times they had previously enjoyed."

16 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

The Supercomputer says we will finish 10 th on 36 points

Hammy 11 th 35 points

Midden  12 th 35 points.

It also predicts Killie will finish third and Livi will make the top six, so I'm pretty sceptical.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premiership/

6 hours ago, garydavidson said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/jim-spence/992183/jim-spence-tommy-wright-is-the-man-to-get-st-johnstone-moving-up-the-table/

There have been mutterings of disaffection from some St Johnstone fans about manager Tommy Wright after Saints’ dire start to the season.

The club’s current position propping up the Premiership table needs quickly remedied.

Wright’s side on paper is equipped to move further up the league but the table doesn’t lie.

Without a win in their opening seven league games, and only five goals scored with 18 conceded, it makes grim reading.

However, these are early days and Wright is a smart operator who has been over the course before.

Saints aren’t isolated, with Hibernian only two points and Hearts just three points, ahead of them.

Both of those clubs have budgets which Wright can only dream about, and their plight proves that no club, irrespective of reputation or previous achievements, can rest on its laurels.

Restoring Stevie May to his previous full potential, tightening up a defence which needs to deal with set pieces better and ensuring that better possession in games like last weekend’s defeat from Motherwell translates to goals, are all things which need to be addressed.

However, some Saints fans who are thinking a change of manager is required should be very careful what they wish for.

Managers can’t rest on their record or live on previous achievements, but Wright is doing none of these things.

He is going through a tough period, and at times scratching his head as to how to fix things, but his pedigree points to him being able to correct the situation.

Knee-jerk reactions in changing managers can have very long lasting and seriously damaging effects on a football club.

A miserable period of form, which a team can eventually emerge from given patience, is infinitely preferable to a fashionable change of boss, which can lead to a club rapidly losing its way, and taking years to recover from.

Supporters who think a new man at the helm is the answer might find if their wish was granted that a long period of drought followed, leaving them thirsting for the many good times they had previously enjoyed."

Spence was on Sportsound on Saturday suggesting it was time for a change - bit of a change of heart from him.

7 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Hits nail on head

Firstly, I am 100% behind Tommy and don’t condone any of the inerudite imbeciles calling for his head... but this is the only thread that fits the bill to shoehorn this post:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49889805

Excellent interview! I did chuckle at the line, "Somebody said to me, 'To be a successful manager, you need three things: a top-quality centre-half, a loyal dog and an understanding wife, but not necessarily in that order'."

Tommy has certainly got 2 out of 3.