Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

2 hours ago, Linky said:

Obviously he's going to say that he's not afraid of losing his job. It would be crazy to say anything other. A lot might depend on how much left he has on his contract, and therefore how much it would cost.

Even at this stage, the other options aren't very appealing. Gary Holt is the only option that I think could do a good job. Otherwise it's relegation with McCall, Coyle, etc. etc. Let's stick with Tommy instead.

Why would Holt move from Livingston?

I dont think fear of whats out there should determine that we keep hold of TW, although I am terrified of what outs there :lol:

1 hour ago, callander saint said:

What about Jack Ross ? .  

Again, would he take it? We're looking doomed this season, not many people will want to take that on be the first manager to relegate us in a decade. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Why would Holt move from Livingston?

I dont think fear of whats out there should determine that we keep hold of TW, although I am terrified of what outs there :lol:

Again, would he take it? We're looking doomed this season, not many people will want to take that on be the first manager to relegate us in a decade. 

Ross wouldn't.

Maybe you're right about Holt. I thought that surely we are still a bigger club with more potential, although perhaps not anymore. We wouldn't pay to release Tommy and pay for Holt too though......which leaves Coyle and McCall.

Again, let's stick with Tommy.

52 minutes ago, Linky said:

Ross wouldn't.

Maybe you're right about Holt. I thought that surely we are still a bigger club with more potential, although perhaps not anymore. We wouldn't pay to release Tommy and pay for Holt too though......which leaves Coyle and McCall.

Again, let's stick with Tommy.

I think in some circumstances we could get Holt from Livingston, but hes got a squad built for him that's performing, I cant see him leaving that while we're a mess and looking like going down.

I love Tommy and always will but over the last 10 months it feels more and more like we need a fresh pair of eyes.  There is a case if it wasn't Tommy our form since Jan would of seen another manager on a very shoogly peg, if not gone. 

We rightly stuck with him but this summer was an embarrassment, not just Tommy fault I may add.  It just feels that he has lost some of his drive.  I would however this seems to stems from Chairman down as well.  

Sticking with Tommy just because you cant think of anyone to replace him his hardly a good reason.  We are not 'in that world' as it were so have no idea who is out there.  Would we of predicted at the time Tottan, Sturrock, Coyle, Lomas etc.  Although a Lomas introduction I doubt Wright was on anyone's radar.

8 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

I love Tommy and always will but over the last 10 months it feels more and more like we need a fresh pair of eyes.  There is a case if it wasn't Tommy our form since Jan would of seen another manager on a very shoogly peg, if not gone. 

We rightly stuck with him but this summer was an embarrassment, not just Tommy fault I may add.  It just feels that he has lost some of his drive.  I would however this seems to stems from Chairman down as well.  

Sticking with Tommy just because you cant think of anyone to replace him his hardly a good reason.  We are not 'in that world' as it were so have no idea who is out there.  Would we of predicted at the time Tottan, Sturrock, Coyle, Lomas etc.  Although a Lomas introduction I doubt Wright was on anyone's radar.

Ah the days of Totten with magical attacking football. Moore ,Grant & Maskery. Wouldn't it be great if Kennedy,May & Wright could even come close.

41 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Ah the days of Totten with magical attacking football. Moore ,Grant & Maskery. Wouldn't it be great if Kennedy,May & Wright could even come close.

Your looking back with rose tinted spectacles. As I recall the attacking football went out the window after a couple of years back in the premier and when Brown sacked Totten he was quoted in the press as saying the football was "brutal to watch the reason fans were not going to games".

Wright has found the answer before and I belive he will again.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

Your looking back with rose tinted spectacles. As I recall the attacking football went out the window after a couple of years back in the premier and when Brown sacked Totten he was quoted in the press as saying the football was "brutal to watch the reason fans were not going to games".

Wright has found the answer before and I belive he will again.

Lost my rose tinted glasses a couple of years ago. Some teams still play attacking football. Thank feck or football would be dead.

I thought Totten was sacked because Geoff said he was not interested in bringing young players through.

Not sure where Wright turned it round before. Admittedly recovered after a run of bad results but this is more than a run,this is now approaching a full year since January. If a season had been compressed in that time we would have been down.

Firstly, if ever there is a manager who should be given time to turn things around, then it should be Tommy. Secondly, we are small margins away from being significantly further up the league. Tommy cannot legislate for missed penalties. Convert them and we are what, 7th?

Wasnt at St Mirren, so cannot comment, but in most games we have been broadly a match for the teams we have played. 

There is obviously glaring gaps in the team, for which Tommy must take some blame, mainly in defence, but as highlighted by the May Saga, we are clearly piss poor at getting deals done. I'd be really concerned if he couldn't see what we see, but that is not the case here.

I'm sure if we are still where we are in Jan, the defence will be addressed.

I think the argument that things are stale has its merits, but maybe a shuffle of backroom staff could freshen things up. That's how Fergie kept it fresh at Man Utd over the years.

Ultimately, I could see Tommy taking more of a DOF position in the next few years.

The biggest criticism I could level at Tommy is that he is often too reluctant to drop some players. Kerr and Clark could do with a reminder that they are not nailed on starters. 

51 minutes ago, rickardo said:

No matter what happens Tommy will never be a failure at this club ,can’t believe you even typed that pish.

Saints league position suggests otherwise.  With no real indication of that situation changing any time soon other than blind faith.  But hey,  there we go...

1 hour ago, rickardo said:

No matter what happens Tommy will never be a failure at this club ,can’t believe you even typed that pish.

This does have the potential of going a bit “Arsene Wenger”. Success and failure isn’t a constant, if his team sends us down, I’d say he finished his spell here as a failure. 

I questioned sending out Ando on loan due to our inexperienced defence at the time. That looks a horrendous decision IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

This does have the potential of going a bit “Arsene Wenger”. Success and failure isn’t a constant, if his team sends us down, I’d say he finished his spell here as a failure. 

I questioned sending out Ando on loan due to our inexperienced defence at the time. That looks a horrendous decision IMO. 

The mistake was not replacing Anderson with an experienced defender, rather than letting go of Anderson himself. I think.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

The mistake was not replacing Anderson with an experienced defender, rather than letting go of Anderson himself. I think.

100% agree, but at least in Ando, you have a guy that’s been around the block and could organise the back line. We’ve gone too young, too quickly. The inexperience is glaring 

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

100% agree, but at least in Ando, you have a guy that’s been around the block and could organise the back line. We’ve gone too young, too quickly. The inexperience is glaring 

At his age Ando was always going to have a slow start to the season. The fans on here got on his back because he was wrong footed by Billy McKay & didn't want to give away a pen. The problem for Saints & Anderson was that sitting on the bench on the off chance that the young guys that did OK at the end of last season would fail was no good to anyone.