Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Did we have enough money to sign May and and experienced defender?

Well we apparently had enough to bring in Vihmann, who Tommy apparently already has no faith in, and since then we've released Foster (as Saint Paul mentions), so to me that doesn't seem like the best management of the personnel situation at the back. Looking back I'd say there are a few different mistakes/bad judgement calls that have been made with the defence...

• The belief that an inexperienced Kerr-Gordon partnership would be good enough, following the departure of Shaughnessy. It's interesting that if you look back to when Shaughnessy's impending departure became public, people on here were calling out for those two to become our first choice pairing. That now seems very naive to me.
  • Sending Ando back out on loan - it feels like, if he was still here, he'd probably be back in the team now. Besides, he's surely the experienced head that Kerr and Gordon would benefit from learning from.
  • Why was Vihmann signed? Tommy said he'd watched him several times and was excited to get him. Now he can't get near the starting line-up even when Gordon is injured. How can Tommy's opinion of him have changed so dramatically in such a short space of time? Was a bad judgement made when scouting him, or has a rash judgement been made in dropping him? Either way, it feels like a really badly thought out piece of business.

If only there was another Duberry/Kernaghan/Mackay/Wright/Weir out there who could come in and take charge of the defence. I think Tommy should have seen earlier that we were seriously lacking in that department earlier, and it should have been a bigger priority while the transfer window was still open.

I'd also suggest that, regarding the penalty situation, it may have been made worse by constantly changing the penalty taker every time a player misses one. I really don't think that helps. I think we need to work out who our best penalty taker is and stick with them, even if they miss from time to time.

Having said all that I'm still 100% behind Tommy and I'm of the opinion that if there is any manager in the world who deserves time to turn things around, it's surely him.

41 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Well we apparently had enough to bring in Vihmann, who Tommy apparently already has no faith in, and since then we've released Foster (as Saint Paul mentions), so to me that doesn't seem like the best management of the personnel situation at the back. Looking back I'd say there are a few different mistakes/bad judgement calls that have been made with the defence...

• The belief that an inexperienced Kerr-Gordon partnership would be good enough, following the departure of Shaughnessy. It's interesting that if you look back to when Shaughnessy's impending departure became public, people on here were calling out for those two to become our first choice pairing. That now seems very naive to me.
  • Sending Ando back out on loan - it feels like, if he was still here, he'd probably be back in the team now. Besides, he's surely the experienced head that Kerr and Gordon would benefit from learning from.
  • Why was Vihmann signed? Tommy said he'd watched him several times and was excited to get him. Now he can't get near the starting line-up even when Gordon is injured. How can Tommy's opinion of him have changed so dramatically in such a short space of time? Was a bad judgement made when scouting him, or has a rash judgement been made in dropping him? Either way, it feels like a really badly thought out piece of business.

If only there was another Duberry/Kernaghan/Mackay/Wright/Weir out there who could come in and take charge of the defence. I think Tommy should have seen earlier that we were seriously lacking in that department earlier, and it should have been a bigger priority while the transfer window was still open.

I'd also suggest that, regarding the penalty situation, it may have been made worse by constantly changing the penalty taker every time a player misses one. I really don't think that helps. I think we need to work out who our best penalty taker is and stick with them, even if they miss from time to time.

Having said all that I'm still 100% behind Tommy and I'm of the opinion that if there is any manager in the world who deserves time to turn things around, it's surely him.

Sorry BH he has had loads of time & transfer window to sort things out. The problems have been there since January . look at the results. Any wins we had were against the likes of Dundee & Brechin.

The transfer window was an embarrassment.

7 hours ago, rickardo said:

No matter what happens Tommy will never be a failure at this club ,can’t believe you even typed that pish.

It is quite clearly a question to the original poster!

Anyway if he gets sacked he will have failed, why else would they sack him? Sure he would be the greatest manager Saints will have had but by being sacked you have failed at that point in time.

Edited by garydavidson

7 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

This does have the potential of going a bit “Arsene Wenger”. Success and failure isn’t a constant, if his team sends us down, I’d say he finished his spell here as a failure. 

Maybe finish as a failure if he gets sacked granted ,but I was replying to his time here in general. I think it’s down right disrespectful to say the most successful manager in our whole history a ‘failure ‘  but hey ho that’s maybe false loyalty in my part.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Sorry BH he has had loads of time & transfer window to sort things out. The problems have been there since January . look at the results. Any wins we had were against the likes of Dundee & Brechin.

The transfer window was an embarrassment.

We did pretty well after the split last season and 7th is an acceptable place in the league to finish, so I wouldn't say his "time to turn it round" started last season. Agree with you about the transfer window but surely you wouldn't put that down as being entirely the manager's fault?

9 minutes ago, cristo said:

Remember when every time a manager parted company with his club we were worried they might come in for TW. Then he never got a mention. 

Hearts job? No chance.

Hibs job?  hmmm. 

Stephen Robinson favourite for both jobs.

Tommy has only been mentioned for the Arabs job in all the time he has been here.