Taxi for Tommy?

George Grieve

36 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

There's plenty of money been spent, its just not been distributed evenly across the 3 areas of the team, defence, midfield and attack. 

Don't know if that's browns fault or Tommy's fault or both but current mix is imbalanced and it has got us in the mess we are in. 

Needs sorted in January transfer window but we must try and find another 7 or 8 points before then. 

Total agree,need to get shot of the Estonian,booth if he doesn't make an appearance, Callahan and Swanson , loan Duffy out let him get experience in the championship.swanson thought he did well last two times previous but waste of a wage,sign players who are battle harden defenders,like mmm Easton, Anderson and foster,I'm afraid the guys on here who think Tanser is the answer at fullback are wrong,let's get defenders who might not pass the ball fifty yards but defend like there life depends on it.

6 minutes ago, tucker said:

Total agree,need to get shot of the Estonian,booth if he doesn't make an appearance, Callahan and Swanson , loan Duffy out let him get experience in the championship.swanson thought he did well last two times previous but waste of a wage,sign players who are battle harden defenders,like mmm Easton, Anderson and foster,I'm afraid the guys on here who think Tanser is the answer at fullback are wrong,let's get defenders who might not pass the ball fifty yards but defend like there life depends on it.

Booth must be pretty shite if he is no better than Tanser defensively. He looks stronger & I know he is there as back up but the situation we are in it is surely worth a try.

As for Swanson we might need him when Kennedy & Wright go.

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Papers today claiming its Browns fault the Declan Gallager deal fell through.

I think regardless of what happened with Gallagher, we knew from fairly early on that he wasn't going to be coming here, and since we missed out on him money has subsequently been spent on other defensive options. We've signed Vihmann and Booth to sit on the bench every week, and Duffy would probably be on the bench every week too if it hadn't been for Gordon's injury. And we're still paying a wage to Ando too, of course. That's four defenders who must add up to a decent chunk of budget. If Tommy doesn't trust Vihmann and Booth enough to give them a chance even at a point where it's widely accepted that our defence is a huge mess and needs to be changed, then why are they here? I wonder if one experienced defender could have been brought in instead of several inexperienced defenders who the manager clearly doesn't rate.

To me, an increasing number of squad decisions don't make much sense: we're continually told the budget is tight, yet we seem to waste money on squad players who barely play. And Tommy's recent comment about there being no point in bringing in a new defender if they wouldn't be ready to play in 10 days was just bizarre. That was around two weeks ago now: we could have brought someone in and they'd be close to playing by now. And it's fine saying an experienced defender is top of the shopping list for the transfer window, but the way the club has handled other recent transfer windows doesn't fill me with confidence that we'll get what we need.

I think the irony is that Tommy has actually done a lot of what I saw some fans on here crying out for. He's reduced the average age of the squad, he's brought in more exciting attacking players to try to change the way we play, he's put faith in Kerr and Gordon as the defensive partnership. The fact is we were much, much better when we had an ageing team who could barely score goals but ground out results each week - and as unattractive as it is, playing that way is really always going to be Saints' best chance of success.

8 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think the irony is that Tommy has actually done a lot of what I saw some fans on here crying out for. He's reduced the average age of the squad, he's brought in more exciting attacking players to try to change the way we play, he's put faith in Kerr and Gordon as the defensive partnership. The fact is we were much, much better when we had an ageing team who could barely score goals but ground out results each week - and as unattractive as it is, playing that way is really always going to be Saints' best chance of success.

This is obviously accurate but who'd have guessed that folk moaning about those things would just find something else to moan about when the time came? Shocker.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tucker said:

See Stevie Robinson at Motherwell been accused of hitting his partner, unfortunately this might put him out the running for the Northern Ireland post http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51137769

Given they game Michael O’Neil another contract after being convicted and banned for drink driving having had previous convictions, not sure a criminal record bothers the IFA. 

Albeit assault is a slightly different kettle for fish, especially if found guilty. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have said before - in any line of business the mark of a real Manager is one who gets things turned around when things aren't going well, when people aren't doing their job and things aren't going your way. How often have we gone on terrible runs but Tommy has turned things around.  We are not out of the woods yet, but I reckon if I were a Hearts fan today I might rue having Stendel and not someone like Tommy to get away from the bottom of the league.

Edited by Bruno Strasser

3 hours ago, Bruno Strasser said:

We are not out of the woods yet, but I reckon if I were a Hearts fan today I might rue having Stendel and not someone like Tommy to get away from the bottom of the league.

I really would not be surprised to see Hearts changing their manager again before the end of the season.

6 hours ago, supersaint44 said:

Does worry me that the Northern Ireland job is still up for grabs in the summer. Surely upturn in form can only help his chances? 

Tommy isn't the media darling that Robinson and Motherwell are, even with a pending court case for assault against Robinson. That is about our only hope.

Sure O'Neill would give Tommy a good reference though.

......anyone else want a slice of the massive humble pie I had to make for myself after jumping on the Tommy oot bandwagon ??

I'll never doubt him again and gotta agree in hindsight with some of the pundits who are lauding the board for not blinking when we were going through that horror start.

'mon the Saints.

26 minutes ago, rinky dink said:

......anyone else want a slice of the massive humble pie I had to make for myself after jumping on the Tommy oot bandwagon ??

I'll never doubt him again and gotta agree in hindsight with some of the pundits who are lauding the board for not blinking when we were going through that horror start.

'mon the Saints.

Aye in Tommy we trust

25 minutes ago, rinky dink said:

'mon the Saints.

Absolution is good for the soul; rise my son you are forgiven.

• 4 weeks later...