George Grieve

Taxi for Tommy?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Bruno Strasser said:

Lennon punted. Hibs looking for a new boss ?

Tommy’s happy in Perth. 

I think he’ll be privately very pleased in the way that he’s been backed by Steve Brown, and I think it would take a decent English Club to take him away from here. 

He’d be trading a safe, stable job where he legit has a chance of another European spot for a less stable job with a slight chance of qualifying for a European spot. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Tommy’s happy in Perth. 

I think he’ll be privately very pleased in the way that he’s been backed by Steve Brown, and I think it would take a decent English Club to take him away from here. 

He’d be trading a safe, stable job where he legit has a chance of another European spot for a less stable job with a slight chance of qualifying for a European spot. 

Very Naive. I have a bad feeling about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've no worries about the Hibs job. His contract runs until 2022 so any compensation would be significant, and as has been said, he'd be trading a solid job with a squad he's built, for an absolute mess of a club with a worse squad.

As he said himself just last week, the grass isn't always greener after Saints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you're both right. I've always felt a Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen would be the type of club which might be tempting.

Agree Hibs are a mess currently and it would be a step back to take a couple forward, but they are a big club and with the right man in charge they have decent potential.

Everything he's done for us and the success we've had, and yet still only 2000 folk can be arsed going to watch every week must be massively frustrating.

But hopefully hes excited about the team we've put together and wants to see where he can take it.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don’t think players give a toss about crowd size. Wages will be a bigger deciding factor (yes, I know there is correlation)

We have a notoriously good dressing room though, everyone gets paid on time and seems to enjoy playing here. 

Tommy can’t achieve anything at Hibs that isn’t doable in Perth. 

He can compete for Europe and Cups both here and there. 

St Johnstone now is a different place compared to years gone by, a lot of pundits and players are looking at us as capable of fighting for these Euro slots and rightly so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's more would Hibs fancy Tommy and I expect the answer is no. Not a big enough name and the fans wouldn't be too please so he'd be up against it from the start. They could actually have their own Steve Clarke situation with Gordon Strachan so will be interesting to see how much ambition they actually have. In the meantime we can rest easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

I would put a small wager to charity of choice that he will  show no interest in Hibs job

I hope your confidence is justified but TW will be well quoted. Lets keep the bet real; loser leaves a pint at the Muirton suite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I hope your confidence is justified but TW will be well quoted. Lets keep the bet real; loser leaves a pint at the Muirton suite.

OK done 

But we can let masks slip and drink together if it happens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hibs, shut up!  Hibs the media darlings, they are typically average at best and that's on a good season.  Tommy to the junkies, he'd need to be on LSD to sign up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 9:20 AM, THE LARK SAINT said:

I would put a small wager to charity of choice that he will  show no interest in Hibs job

I think people are forgetting that Tommy and Neil are very good friends so I can’t see it happening either. But I would rule nothing out.

Edited by Markinch Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hibs is the biggest job he is likely to get in Scotland & after all his years of success nobody down south looks to be interested in him.

IF he was to be offered the job I would think he would jump at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cagey said:

Hibs is the biggest job he is likely to get in Scotland & after all his years of success nobody down south looks to be interested in him.

IF he was to be offered the job I would think he would jump at it.

I ask again... what can he achieve at Hibs that he can’t at St Johnstone?

You are downplaying our current position. People are no longer looking at us as a yo-yo club. 

Hopefully we can sustain our recent success and in turn, become a club that produces young players consistently. 

I would love to see us churn out a Stevie May and Jason Kerr every few years. 

I honestly believe that developing players like that is something that Tommy will take great joy in doing, and he can do that in Perth with no real pressure. 

He has earned a lot of leeway here, and that is no small thing in the game today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I ask again... what can he achieve at Hibs that he can’t at St Johnstone?

You are downplaying our current position. People are no longer looking at us as a yo-yo club. 

Hopefully we can sustain our recent success and in turn, become a club that produces young players consistently. 

I would love to see us churn out a Stevie May and Jason Kerr every few years. 

I honestly believe that developing players like that is something that Tommy will take great joy in doing, and he can do that in Perth with no real pressure. 

He has earned a lot of leeway here, and that is no small thing in the game today. 

It never fails to amaze me the naivety of some fans; Hibs playing gash will pull attendances of 12000. It's simple economics that they have more attraction than St.Johnstone to a prospective manager even if we have our house in order and a strong squad. TW's salary will be doubled probably more and seriously this argument that he has settled lifestyle blah blah blah and wouldn't want to move is pie in the sky.

If Hibs are doing their due diligence there is a standout candidate who knows the league and has a proven track record. 

Better buckle up because if we manage to retain TW if HIbs come calling I'll be shocked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

It never fails to amaze me the naivety of some fans; Hibs playing gash will pull attendances of 12000. It's simple economics that they have more attraction than St.Johnstone to a prospective manager even if we have our house in order and a strong squad. TW's salary will be doubled probably more and seriously this argument that he has settled lifestyle blah blah blah and wouldn't want to move is pie in the sky.

If Hibs are doing their due diligence there is a standout candidate who knows the league and has a proven track record. 

Better buckle up because if we manage to retain TW if HIbs come calling I'll be shocked!

If Tommy has negotiated a percentage of players sale  value in his contract he could be sitting on at least a couple of massive paydays which would work in our favour if anyone comes calling for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

If Tommy has negotiated a percentage of players sale  value in his contract he could be sitting on at least a couple of massive paydays which would work in our favour if anyone comes calling for him. 

ooo i wonder how the fans would feel about that:shock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now