George Grieve

Taxi for Tommy?

Recommended Posts

On 7/29/2019 at 9:52 AM, Wendy Saints said:

Is it just me ...we’ve hardly kicked a ball in real terms and the hysteria is overwhelming!? 

Aye, ah ken, I was expecting at least double figures in this match. Whit wiz all the hysteria about.

Edited by Indicator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really horrible luck to get them on presentation day. Most of the other teams would have struggled in that atmosphere today.

Once we get a striker signed we will get it together and we should be ok.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

We’re gonna need a bigger taxi.

I had a wee lie doon I’m ok now I see the light :roll: we’ll be ok, your da man Tommy I’ve, no been on the bevy either:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

If Tommy had a decent budget and some bloody financial backing we would be very comfortable.

Feel free to empty your bank account to give it to Tommy.  The board will be providing all they can so if you’ve got some spare pass it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, St Mikey said:

5-5-0 formation away from home. 

Destroyed 7-0 is wholly unacceptable. 

Writings surely on the wall perhaps. 

Season started 4 games ago, embarrassing defeats to Forfar and Montrose couple with today’s disgrace. 

Time to wait on the joke of an after match interview. Who’s at fault, what happened?

As soon as that formation was put up we were already beaten. 

5-5-0 ??  Where was this put up exactly?

We started with 2 up then early on changed it to Kennedy wide and went 5-4-1.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Jimmy Wallace said:

Feel free to empty your bank account to give it to Tommy.  The board will be providing all they can so if you’ve got some spare pass it on.

The point being Tommy is not the probem in my opinion - the title of the thread is "Taxi for Tommy?".  He has worked wonders for years with a paltry budget.  If we want to compete....that costs money.  Surely you remember Brown's interview in The herald where he complained about paying wages for players who were not playing.  There are reserves in the region of 2 million apparently, reported in various newspaper articles online. 

My personal investment in St johnstone is my business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Havana Saint said:

The point being Tommy is not the probem in my opinion - the title of the thread is "Taxi for Tommy?".  He has worked wonders for years with a paltry budget.  If we want to compete....that costs money.  Surely you remember Brown's interview in The herald where he complained about paying wages for players who were not playing.  There are reserves in the region of 2 million apparently, reported in various newspaper articles online. 

My personal investment in St johnstone is my business.

My point is it’s all very well saying he needs money, but where’s it going to come from?

The Board will put long term sustainability over short term glory every time, and so they should, or we’ll end up with **** all to do on a Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScottMann said:

Just what's needed after that...a bitter *** gloating in text speak. No matter how bad we get we'll never let our club die as you and your fellow bigots did though.

I'm certainly not gloating and u totally missed the point, I've spoke to many a saints fan about this, yes Tommy will always be a hero to saints, but when do u start looking to the future of the club and change things, somebody said even if u got relegated Tommys job should not be in doubt, so is he unsackble now because of the past 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

I'm certainly not gloating and u totally missed the point, I've spoke to many a saints fan about this, yes Tommy will always be a hero to saints, but when do u start looking to the future of the club and change things, somebody said even if u got relegated Tommys job should not be in doubt, so is he unsackble now because of the past 

Why should we change things when we're continuously overachieving? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

I'm certainly not gloating and u totally missed the point, I've spoke to many a saints fan about this, yes Tommy will always be a hero to saints, but when do u start looking to the future of the club and change things, somebody said even if u got relegated Tommys job should not be in doubt, so is he unsackble now because of the past 

Agree with that.

I am not for a minute advocating that Tommy's future is in doubt - he is the best manager Saints have ever had. If we were to be adrift at the bottom of the league at Christmas that's different.  You are absolutely correct, some Saints fans would potentially sacrifice financial suicide being relegated and stuck for years outside of the top league because we owe it to Tommy for winning the cup over 5 years ago. 

St Johnstone is far bigger than any individual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jimmy Wallace said:

My point is it’s all very well saying he needs money, but where’s it going to come from?

The Board will put long term sustainability over short term glory every time, and so they should, or we’ll end up with **** all to do on a Saturday.

My concern is it is easier to stay in premiership than get out of championship.

St Mirren, Livingston & Hamilton are surely going to keep us up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy Wallace said:

My point is it’s all very well saying he needs money, but where’s it going to come from?

The Board will put long term sustainability over short term glory every time, and so they should, or we’ll end up with **** all to do on a Saturday.

Agree, but the reserves in the bank are there for when the club needs to utilise them. If say come December/January, we are bottom, but within striking distance, then I'd expect the club to dip into them.

Next season is a big jump in tv money, so worth pushing things out a bit more this season to ensure we stay up.

Anyway, anyone at this stage wanting Tommy gone needs their heads looked at. He know and we know what the team needs. Judging by him comments, it seems he identifies the players and the club goes and gets the deals done. He is frustrated as the fans at not getting the players he wants in the positions he wants.

If there is to be any criticism of Tommy I'd say it is not bringing through enough quality young players (including those brought in at a young age). Hendry, McCann and MacLean don't have the impact in the team I think even Tommy was expecting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Agree with that.

I am not for a minute advocating that Tommy's future is in doubt - he is the best manager Saints have ever had. If we were to be adrift at the bottom of the league at Christmas that's different.  You are absolutely correct, some Saints fans would potentially sacrifice financial suicide being relegated and stuck for years outside of the top league because we owe it to Tommy for winning the cup over 5 years ago. 

St Johnstone is far bigger than any individual.

He has done far more than win the cup. Have a look at league finishes in our history. 

If we go down he should be given the chance to get us back up again. He has earned that from his achievements in the league not the cups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

If we go down he should be given the chance to get us back up again. He has earned that from his achievements in the league not the cups.

I'm going to do something very dangerous and mention politics. 

The argument from those negotiating Brexit is they need to have no deal on the table to get a (good) deal. Equally, I don't think it helps us to talk about TW having a free hit effectively.  He should feel under a bit of pressure. He has taken the conscious choice to shake up this squad so will have to live or die by that decision. 

Where we are now isn't a result of bad fortune that the manager has earned the right to remedy, he has put us in this position. We've had bad runs in the past and the club (absolutely correctly) haven't wavered in their support of him. This feels different though. 

What isn't acceptable is the language used at times. Whatever happens with TW, the respect for him should never diminish. And as for those that actively seem to be willing him to fail? What a miserable existence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folk who try and suggest the only thing TW has ever done for us is win a cup clearly have some bizarre agenda to try and force him out.

Im too young to know Ormonds side, but, TW must be right up there in terms of the greatest ever. Hes won a cup, qualified us for Europe more times alone than in the rest of our history combined, and is guiding us through the most consistently successful top flight spell we've ever had.

He deserves a chance to right any wrongs he makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

I'm going to do something very dangerous and mention politics. 

The argument from those negotiating Brexit is they need to have no deal on the table to get a (good) deal. Equally, I don't think it helps us to talk about TW having a free hit effectively.  He should feel under a bit of pressure. He has taken the conscious choice to shake up this squad so will have to live or die but that decision. 

Where we are now isn't a result of bad fortune that the manager has earned the right to remedy, he has put us in this position. We've had bad runs in the past and the club (absolutely correctly) haven't wavered in their support of him. This feels different though. 

What isn't acceptable is the language used at times. Whatever happens with TW, the respect for him should never diminish. And as for those that actively seem to be willing him to fail? What a miserable existence.

To extend the politics analogy, the threat is only leverage if it's credible. Much like the no deal Brexit issue, where the 'threat' is far more damaging to the UK than them ... 'give me what I wan't or I'll shoot myself in the face'. If Tommy is to feel any real pressure there has to be the feeling that we could bring in someone who could do a better job, or that Tommy would would struggle to find another gig. 

It seems to me that TW is a man of enough integrity and professional pride that he will be putting a lot of pressure on himself. I hope that's enough!

IMO, still far too early to call this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Folk who try and suggest the only thing TW has ever done for us is win a cup clearly have some bizarre agenda to try and force him out.

Im too young to know Ormonds side, but, TW must be right up there in terms of the greatest ever. Hes won a cup, qualified us for Europe more times alone than in the rest of our history combined, and is guiding us through the most consistently successful top flight spell we've ever had.

He deserves a chance to right any wrongs he makes.

Aye Willies side were good, and as much as i loved Willie, Tommy is the better manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

If Tommy is to feel any real pressure there has to be the feeling that we could bring in someone who could do a better job... 

Very fair point and that is a whole new argument, a discussion I was having on the way home yesterday. 

Can anyone come up with a single name that would justify us sacking our most successful ever manager?

Other than Barry Ferguson, obviously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Very fair point and that is a whole new argument, a discussion I was having on the way home yesterday. 

Can anyone come up with a single name that would justify us sacking our most successful ever manager?

Other than Barry Ferguson, obviously. 

An intellectual Saints supporter on the St. Johnstone Banter page pointed out that there are three available managers who could do a far better job than Tommy Wright (John Hughes, Jim McIntyre and Owen Coyle). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...