George Grieve

Taxi for Tommy?

Recommended Posts

Tommy took over in 2013/14 and won the cup with Lomas's squad with the addition of O'Halloran, Clancy, Iwelumo and Dunne(loan) and did well. Could Tommy's problem be that he struggles to replace important players as the move on or retire. This could be down to lack of scouting and or money. 

Strikers and midfield in particular.

At this moment in time, I will give Tommy until the end of the season, he deserves that at least. Only then will I comment on his future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Tommy took over in 2013/14 and won the cup with Lomas's squad with the addition of O'Halloran, Clancy, Iwelumo and Dunne(loan) and did well. 

And David Wotherspoon and Brian Easton. So quite a number of significant changes really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, andrew said:

It’s not altogether incorrect Randoom 8)

Of the 13 players who played in the Final, only one (Steven MacLean) was signed by Lomas.

If it was anyones squad he used it was McInnes'.

For the sake of clarity, of the 13 used, 5 were signed by TW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Of the 13 players who played in the Final, only one (Steven MacLean) was signed by Lomas.

If it was anyones squad he used it was McInnes'.

For the sake of clarity, of the 13 used, 5 were signed by TW.

Not altogether incorrect, as I said. Thank you for clarifying what I said Randoom :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Very fair point and that is a whole new argument, a discussion I was having on the way home yesterday. 

Can anyone come up with a single name that would justify us sacking our most successful ever manager?

Other than Barry Ferguson, obviously. 

Be interesting to see how many clubs in the bottom half recently have sacked their bosses and how many actually improved their position as a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, andrew said:

Not altogether incorrect, as I said. Thank you for clarifying what I said Randoom :)

No, it is incorrect. He claimed it was Lomas' squad. The only player there that Lomas brought in was MacLean.

Does one player equal a squad to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

No, it is incorrect. He claimed it was Lomas' squad. The only player there that Lomas brought in was MacLean.

Does one player equal a squad to you?

One player equals not altogether incorrect. A squad isn’t required for that definition. You like semantics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, andrew said:

One player equals not altogether incorrect. A squad isn’t required for that definition. You like semantics.

What?

He claimed it was Lomas' squad, he was wrong. Your determination to, literally always, have an opposing view to me has reached a bizarre stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Be interesting to see how many clubs in the bottom half recently have sacked their bosses and how many actually improved their position as a result.

Exactly. Panic sacking the manager rarely results in success (occasionally it staves off relegation for a season, as I think we're going to see with Hamilton this season). Stability is what has kept us in this division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

What?

He claimed it was Lomas' squad, he was wrong. Your determination to, literally always, have an opposing view to me has reached a bizarre stage.

Now it’s hyperbole. Literally always? Determination? Your interpretation of events is somewhat skewed. :)

Try not to be so dramatic Randoom. With your analytical and investigative bent you’ll soon discover that I rarely respond to your posts. I’m not opposed to you or what you say, you’re quite informative and entertaining. Likeable too, at times. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy is a great manager, has his ups and downs, but far more ups. My view is 80% of our (any SPL) success is down to money, not the manager, such is the sorry state of this league. To compete, you need big-big investment, the Broons don't have or won't put in, and we don't generate cash. So this title should read Taxi for Broons if anything, and even thats a stretch, because who else would invest.

One unpopular (?) opinion is that we would all be far happier in a lower division, we would be able to compete, be entertained and probably get better gates. Outside of the cup win, my fondest saints memories were the three seasons from 1980-83.

SPFL in its current state is fukking pointless and has been for years.  Tommy isn;t the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Tommy is a great manager, has his ups and downs, but far more ups. My view is 80% of our (any SPL) success is down to money, not the manager, such is the sorry state of this league. To compete, you need big-big investment, the Broons don't have or won't put in, and we don't generate cash. So this title should read Taxi for Broons if anything, and even thats a stretch, because who else would invest.

One unpopular (?) opinion is that we would all be far happier in a lower division, we would be able to compete, be entertained and probably get better gates. Outside of the cup win, my fondest saints memories were the three seasons from 1980-83.

SPFL in its current state is fukking pointless and has been for years.  Tommy isn;t the issue.

I agree entirely with this with the exception that I'd want to be in a lower league. 

We have a reasonably well off chairman, but even if they wanted to they don't have the millions to pile into the club that other backers have. I would say that very few in Scotland have the cash reserves needed to create or prop up a top-4 SPFL side and be prepared to lose millions doing it. 

If the Brown's don't sell up, I am hopeful that we'll see some investment next year, assuming we stay up, with the enhanced TV cash. Although saying that all the others get a boost to so we might see better quality on the park all round.

Being a builder, Brown has invested a bit in infrastructure so hopefully we'll have an advantage if others have to start investing in stadiums. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Thought that previous seasons but there is just something missing today and the defeats in the cup backed it up, we have a decent squad but overloaded with wide players and the spine of the team is weak, centre mid and strikers and today showed the full backs are either too old or very average like tanser 

I agree that things are looking great but you whine on about the spine of the team.

We have one of the top 2/3 goalkeepers in the league, we have one of the best young centre half’s in the league, we have a player in Murray Davidson in the centre - who could have picked any team he wanted outside of the old firm 3/4 years ago.

Its not the spine, it’s the blend of players at the moment. We have gone from a team full of winners and leaders to a team full of shitebags and other full of their own importance and chip on their shoulder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

And David Wotherspoon and Brian Easton. So quite a number of significant changes really.

Did not count them (rightly or wrongly) as I assumed they were in the pipeline when he took over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

No, it is incorrect. He claimed it was Lomas' squad. The only player there that Lomas brought in was MacLean.

Does one player equal a squad to you?

I know, I did not exactly say it but I meant the squad he inherited from Lomas. (which I called Lomas's squad) Which Lomas inherited from Mcinnes. I do think any went as far back as Coyle. Maybe Anderson.

The point I was trying to make that his signings of replacement strikers and midfield players (May, McLean Millar and Dunne from cup final team) have not set the heather on fire. I am sure you will now prove me wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I know, I did not exactly say it but I meant the squad he inherited from Lomas. (which I called Lomas's squad) Which Lomas inherited from Mcinnes. I do think any went as far back as Coyle. Maybe Anderson.

The point I was trying to make that his signings of replacement strikers and midfield players (May, McLean Millar and Dunne from cup final team) have not set the heather on fire. I am sure you will now prove me wrong. 

Nah, I think we'll agree about his CM and ST signings tbh, the lack of Millar replacement is a continual concern, and I was heavily questioning his signings up front on P&B, hes never signed one who's scored more than 9 in a season.

Anderson was a John Connolly signing I think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, andrew said:

Now it’s hyperbole. Literally always? Determination? Your interpretation of events is somewhat skewed. :)

Try not to be so dramatic Randoom. With your analytical and investigative bent you’ll soon discover that I rarely respond to your posts. I’m not opposed to you or what you say, you’re quite informative and entertaining. Likeable too, at times. :)

Don't worry,he will go back to P& B & tell them how you were bad to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Mind my first away game was a 7 - 0 gubbing at Dundee United  back in the day....

KEEP

THE

FAITH

MOFOS

Don’t remind me.that might have been the game where  hodgey got flung out by the polis about seven times.that was the only entertainment we got that day .mark hodge ,Stanley legend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...