Stefan Scougall

Cagey

21 hours ago, Center Half said:

Could also simply mean he was the next available midfielder for the bench, as Swanson suspended and Alston injured would both have been in front of him I would presume, The end will be the same of course he will be away but it is obviously more his form/attitude/displays that have caused it than any massive fall out with the management. IMO

I don't understand how a pretty decent player suddenly becomes surplus to requirement unless there has been a fall out. I trust the manager to make the right decisions but it would be best for all if Tommy addressed this speculation - he bought him after all.

44 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Sounds promising- lets get him back to full fitness and in the frame for the first team. 

I don't think he has been injured so shouldn't be lacking fitness - maybe match sharpness.

Has only played 60 minutes in both of the last reserve games.

Tommy mentioned that Danny was available again but no mention of other players that haven't featured recently.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jhq said:

Agreed. Scougall hasn't lived up to expectations at all.

Welcome to the forum,  try not to let the miners and forum police put you off.

I can't agree with that as I don't think he has been given a chance this season. Last season he looked very bright in one of the poorer Saints teams we have had and then was injured for a chunk at the end of the season.

I would love to see him feature more in this team as he has a lot more composure than our other central midfielders and could link up dangerously with our attacking players.

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I can't agree with that as I don't think he has been given a chance this season. Last season he looked very bright in one of the poorer Saints teams we have had and then was injured for a chunk at the end of the season.

I would love to see him feature more in this team as he has a lot more composure than our other central midfielders and could link up dangerously with our attacking players.

Agree with this completely. Scougal has loads to offer this team and when we hit the potentially dark injury ravaged months of January and February it would good to have him on board. I say again I don't see how a pretty good player can drop off the picture unless there has been a major fallout or a serious transgression.

15 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Scougall isn't a central midfielder though, although I wouldn't be averse to trying him in there.  In the attacking midfielder role others have been more effective than Scougall.  Kennedy has scored 2 vital goals in recent weeks, Wright looks much more threatening than Scougall.  Macmillan scores or creates in most games and has the added advantage of being strong when we are defending set pieces.  Swanson has always affected games when here. Even the much maligned Spoony has a vital goal and assist recently.  

Something has clearly happened off the pitch with Scougall.  You're right in saying he hasn't had many opportunities this season,  but whose fault is It?  I don't know,  but I do know Tommy doesn't have a reputation for falling out with players or treating them unfairly,  so I suspect Scougall isn't blameless. 

I can't recall him looking "very bright" in many games last season. He didn't affect games often enough for me. As for it being one of the poorer Saints teams we have had - It really wasn't.  Unless you just mean during Tommy's tenure.  In that case Scougall was part of that team and must surely shoulder his share of responsibility for the team being poor

Given the quality/impact of our attacking midfielders this season, I would say Midge is a much bigger loss than Scougall. 

Footballis all about opinions though and I appreciate others won't agree with me.

7 hours ago, jhq said:

Scougall isn't a central midfielder though, although I wouldn't be averse to trying him in there.  In the attacking midfielder role others have been more effective than Scougall.  Kennedy has scored 2 vital goals in recent weeks, Wright looks much more threatening than Scougall.  Macmillan scores or creates in most games and has the added advantage of being strong when we are defending set pieces.  Swanson has always affected games when here. Even the much maligned Spoony has a vital goal and assist recently.  

That is where he is playing in the reserves so possibly trying to nchange his position?

25 minutes ago, mainstand said:

That is where he is playing in the reserves so possibly trying to nchange his position?

As I said, I wouldn't be averse to trying him in there.  There's no doubting his skill on the ball and ability to hold it - he may be very good in there given a chance.  I suspect that you may be right on this,

I can't believe we are still discussing this subject. , seems a nice lad but has never produced in  games last season. , the guys on the park are doing a great job to a higher standard. , waste of a wage at the moment  and will never be as good as Chris Millar who performed week after week season after season let the lad go in January and be done with it 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, rickardo said:

Go where he likes , I recommend his 1st stop should be Holdgates and get a decent fish supper in him. Not much call for 8 stone midgets in this league no matter how much so called skill you have . 

Cheerio you won’t be missed .

Not having had a fish supper for about 10 months until last week , I can thoroughly recommend Holdgates.

Cooked fresh for you.

As for Scougall , tended to get clobbered by over running the ball .

Good luck to him.