Scottish cup

dave mc

We have played Celtic four times at Parkhead in the Scottish Cup.

1936 won 2-1 Jimmy Beattie both goals

1969 lost  3-2 Hall equalised for Saints to make it 1-1 Celtic went on to lead 3-1 Connolly scored late consolation. This is not what is reported in Manifest Destiny, as they mix it up with a league game at Muirton which Saints led 2-0 at half time and lost 2-3. Hall and Connolly scored. 

1986 lost 2-0

2003 lost 3-0

Saints have only played Celtic once in Perth in the Scottish Cup, that was in 1932 losing 4-2 Jimmy Benson scoring Saints goals.

Lost semi final at Hampden in 2007 2-1 Martin Hardie scored.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:47 PM, ejksjfc said:

In fairness I can understand why our game and ICT v Ross County are on tv. Personally I hope the other 2 ties are Killie v Cowdenbeath and Stenny v QOS that would really stuff the tv companies.

I don't. Say Celtic hump us in the 2 games before it, why in earth would any neutral watch. Premier sports sum up what is wrong with the tv deals. At every opportunity through this deal, they will show Rangers and Celtic.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:12 PM, Dave H said:

Tv, Parkhead, Scottish Cup, has the makings of a cup final, lets hope a few more fans are able to travel to create some noise for our first cup final of the season....   in a Kev Keegan style, I'd love it to end their hopes of a trebble trebble!

Apart from The Cup Final last time i was in The tattiedome was in 1969, Tics were lucky to get away wae a 2.2 draw, fancy a replay same score., and then get tore into them at McD.

1 hour ago, ScottMann said:

I wonder if we get 50% of 98,000 crowd Celtic will say was there or the 21,000 that actually was.

They will likely try to make out there were less in attendance or that they were all concessions so that they do not have to pay us correct amount and they can skim some off.

Should be a system of auditing there figures.

4 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Apart from The Cup Final last time i was in The tattiedome was in 1969, Tics were lucky to get away wae a 2.2 draw, fancy a replay same score., and then get tore into them at McD.

The 1969 game was my first ever Saints game and I have been told the biggest ever crowd Saints played in front of. I have seen the crowd quoted differently from 60000 - 82000.

29 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

The 1969 game was my first ever Saints game and I have been told the biggest ever crowd Saints played in front of. I have seen the crowd quoted differently from 60000 - 82000.

It was packed sure it was around 60 k, Sure Hoodlum would know.

Edited by sixties saintee

11 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

10 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

It was packed sure it was around 60 k, Sure Hoodlum would know.

A crowd of 73 067 watched Celtic beat Saints 1-0 on 25/10/69 in the LEAGUE CUP FINAL.

The Scottish Cup game was Q.Final  match on 01/03/69 Where a crowd of 39,500 watched Saints losing by the odd goal in 5.

Hope that helps.:wink:

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

A crowd of 73 067 watched Celtic beat Saints 1-0 on 25/10/69 in the LEAGUE CUP FINAL.

The Scottish Cup game was Q.Final  match on 01/03/69 Where a crowd of 39,500 watched Saints losing by the odd goal in 5.

Hope that helps.:wink:

When I saw the score 2-2 and 1969 I immediatly thought it was the league game at the beginning of 69/70 season which is the game I was talking about never recalled a cup game the same year. This league game has had differing crowds given which if you took the highest crowd quoted would make it the highest crowd at a Saints game. As always when discussing crowd figures from the tattiedome anything quoted should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The season we won the Scottish Cup (also at Celtic Park), we had played Aberdeen 3 times in the league and been knocked out of the league cup by them. We had failed to score against them in all 4 matches, and there was a feeling of inevitability when we were drawn to face them in the semis, and even more so when we were a goal down at HT.

Up steps one of the greatest motivational speeches of modern times, and the rest is history.

We're long overdue a win against Celtic, this weekend would be a great time to get it...

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

The season we won the Scottish Cup (also at Celtic Park), we had played Aberdeen 3 times in the league and been knocked out of the league cup by them. We had failed to score against them in all 4 matches, and there was a feeling of inevitability when we were drawn to face them in the semis, and even more so when we were a goal down at HT.

Up steps one of the greatest motivational speeches of modern times, and the rest is history.

We're long overdue a win against Celtic, this weekend would be a great time to get it...

That's the spirit thank god for your positiveness...