Stjohnstone v Aberdeen away

slf

Another shut out, outstanding. Kerr has made the difference for sure.  

Great to see Joe score against his former employers, and Alston comeback is looking on track.  Craig is owning centre mid these days.

No Wright, Swanson or Scougal on display either today.  

Spoke with an Aberdeen mate yesterday, so confident, in that Aberdeen way, after their mid week win at Ibrox.   Great to wipe that swagger off them.   His reply at full time was funny. "4 words 'Stevie May up front'     class.  

Edited by Dave H

First half after a very good opening 10 minutes or so, I thought we struggled to get hold of the ball and were hemmed in for periods, but second half I thought we were very good and worthy of the win. 

Aberdeen passed it around nicely first half but didn't create much,  whereas Saints had a couple of clear chances.  I thought we'd sat far too deep, with Spoony particularly almost beside Tanser. Watt's forward play and Kennedys desire to run at opponents were our only real threats, other than the sitter Callachan missed.

Second half was far better, we played much higher up the pitch and Spoony looked far more effective going forward. Bringing on Alston in a central position was the decisive move. He had a good run in behind that was unfortunately on his left where Lewis blocked his pass across for potentially an easy finish for Watt or Kennedy. Either from that corner, or around that time, Joe headed the opener. Three minutes later Blair scored a screamer as he curled it over Lewis.

Saints had at least two very strong penalty shouts; Kennedy when he skinned Lowe(?) and drove into the box, and when Callachan got scythed down by Logan, only for the ref to give a free kick on the edge of the box.

A textbook St Johnstone performance defensively, but the huge difference this season is we can hurt teams on the counter. We might not come out on top of many games in terms of possession, but in terms of chances created we will. I remember during the World Cup there was a coach who was quoted as saying he felt possession as a stat was overrated, it was far more significant what you do with it.  I would say that definitely applies to Saints this season.

The back four were magnificent. Jason Kerr was arguably the best defender on the park. If McKenna is worth over £6m, then I hope we don't let Kerr go for the first bid that comes in.  Kennedy is a threat everytime he gets on the ball, even playing wide today.

Great three points. Not many times* supporting St Johnstone do I remember Saints fans singing "we are unbeatable"!!

* never

31 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Tommy is still looking to reach 38 points to be free of relegation.

I don't think we have to worry about that & kick on to top 4 position.

I think inwardly he will be hoping for better than simply avoiding relegation, but I like this approach better.  Playing it down has worked well for us over the last few years.

The media would be all over it if Tommy came out with some bold claims or lofty ambitions, setting us up for a fall.  Think they've done it to Kilmarnock this week.

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

First half after a very good opening 10 minutes or so, I thought we struggled to get hold of the ball and were hemmed in for periods, but second half I thought we were very good and worthy of the win. 

Aberdeen passed it around nicely first half but didn't create much,  whereas Saints had a couple of clear chances.  I thought we'd sat far too deep, with Spoony particularly almost beside Tanser. Watt's forward play and Kennedys desire to run at opponents were our only real threats, other than the sitter Callachan missed.

Second half was far better, we played much higher up the pitch and Spoony looked far more effective going forward. Bringing on Alston in a central position was the decisive move. He had a good run in behind that was unfortunately on his left where Lewis blocked his pass across for potentially an easy finish for Watt or Kennedy. Either from that corner, or around that time, Joe headed the opener. Three minutes later Blair scored a screamer as he curled it over Lewis.

Saints had at least two very strong penalty shouts; Kennedy when he skinned Lowe(?) and drove into the box, and when Callachan got scythed down by Logan, only for the ref to give a free kick on the edge of the box.

A textbook St Johnstone performance defensively, but the huge difference this season is we can hurt teams on the counter. We might not come out on top of many games in terms of possession, but in terms of chances created we will. I remember during the World Cup there was a coach who was quoted as saying he felt possession as a stat was overrated, it was far more significant what you do with it.  I would say that definitely applies to Saints this season.

The back four were magnificent. Jason Kerr was arguably the best defender on the park. If McKenna is worth over £6m, then I hope we don't let Kerr go for the first bid that comes in.  Kennedy is a threat everytime he gets on the ball, even playing wide today.

Great three points. Not many times* supporting St Johnstone do I remember Saints fans singing "we are unbeatable"!!

* never

Callachans challenge was a throw in,and we are unbeatable ,was sung in the first division,when were unbeaten for 21?? games,Livi beat us 1-0 away to stop the run,Griffiths scoring a worldy

I actually thought the Aberdeen player got the ball on the Callaghan penalty shout, though it was hard to tell from where i was sitting. Thought Kennedys shout was a penalty though.

As soon as Alston came on I thought we'd win. The team had been screaming for that kind of change, someone to take the ball in the middle and run forward with it. Apart from small spells we were just giving them cheap possession all game and it was just coming back on us all the time. Fortunately they are absolutely powder puff and were never coming close to scoring all night.

1 hour ago, saintj said:

I actually thought the Aberdeen player got the ball on the Callaghan penalty shout, though it was hard to tell from where i was sitting. Thought Kennedys shout was a penalty though.

Can watch the highlights through a proxy, and Callachan definitely gets the ball first, toe pokes it past then gets caught.

Kennedy one would've been incredibly soft.