Saints v Motherwell at home

slf

Only ourselves to blame, timid start gave Motherwell a two goal lead and they spent the rest of the game with all but two men within twenty yards of goal. One of those teams who look shite when they need to score, but look like world beaters when all they have to do is defend.

Few shockers, Wotherspoon was absolutely awful, clueless how he remained on the park past half an hour, never mind make it to the 60 minute mark. McMillan didn't contribute anything either, apart from missing a volley from about 7 yards with nobody near him. No point talking about Kane, we all know he's not good enough, the amount of times he goes to control a ball and smashes it about five yards away is genuinely embarrassing. 

Apart from that, performance was decent, just lacked a bit of luck and quality. On another day, both teams play the same, we don't concede so early and win that comfortably.

We were complacent . Even Barcelona can't just go out & win games without putting in the effort.

Shit weather but the passing was poor & Muzz has been invisible since his visit to the barber.

We have no creativity in midfield.

Kennedy tried too much on his own & I thought if he puts the pen in the same place it will be saved.He seemed to disappear after that til last 10 mins.

Motherwell were brutal. Not afraid to foul. Time wasting all the time,staying down when supposedly fouled but never needing physio.Goalie must have used up 10 mins of game & ref never added much time.

A very poor performance in horrible conditions. Certain players didn't live up to the high standards they've set lately.

We just couldn't control the ball centrally and the 4-4-2 didn't work. McMillan in the 10 role just doesn't work for me. I'd love to know what Scougall has done wrong to merit his complete freeze out the team. We lot out on the second ball time and time again.

Weatherspoon was terrible and Murray Davidson was completely out battled and for the first time ever I actually thought he lacked his usual fight. At points he seemed to simply give up.

That said we could of got something from the game had we converted the penalty or one of the couple of chances we had at the end.

The run had to come to an end eventually. Onwards and upwards.

Cold cold sleety day. Freezing yer nads aff. Caught cold with a goal conceded in 90 seconds.  Just as we were starting to look ok, bang another goal.  Bossed the rest of the first half, few shots, couple of headers and penalty save, thought we were unlucky to not score first half...

second half we didnt lay a glove on them till late on, probably one of Motherwell best performances this season, but we were just cold, off the boil.  Guess we are allowed that 1 game.  3 points in our next outing will make up for this sore loss.

Disappointing result and way to end our run. First 15-20 minutes agree with comments that we were too complacent and Motherwell bullied us. They were the better team for the first hour down there but we matched them for fight and kept ourselves in touch to pinch it at the end.

We lost the game today in that opening spell, it's very rare to comeback from two goals down in this league, and teams that have something to protect are hard to break down.

We played some decent stuff after that at times, and had we scored the penalty I would have fancied us to kick on and get the win.  I cannot remember ever missing 4 penalties in a season!  That's the first time its cost us points. We need to sort out a reliable taker, as the attacking style we play with players running at defenders, and balls into the box, there's a chance we could get a few more this season. We have already been awarded 6 in 17 matches!

Harsh on Alston to only get 5-10 minutes after scoring in consecutive matches, especially when you think we're not exactly banging in loads of goals. Easy with hindsight, but I think if it's two upfront then Kennedy alongside Watt was working brilliantly until Wright's injury, and whilst Matt has still played well the past couple of games out wide, I think we miss his constant involvement and threat he gave through the middle.

Felt we waited too long to make changes as well, though we weren't playing poor so I suppose the thinking was something might happen for us.

Despite the disappointment, that's still a more entertaining performance than we saw at anytime at home last season, with us creating more chances than in any of those games. We were all crying out for more entertainment and I think that's definitely been the case.

Just need to ensure we play from the first whistle in future, regardless of the opposition!

27 minutes ago, GMac said:

Poor stuff today, Spoonie & McMillan need dropped, shit weather, nearly 3 hours to get up the A9. 

Our award winning defence was all over the place at times today - certainly in the first 20 minutes. It happens. It’s still disappointing to lose that way.

3 hours ago, GMac said:

Poor stuff today, Spoonie & McMillan need dropped, shit weather, nearly 3 hours to get up the A9. 

Thought mcmillIan tried in poor conditions lad gets one game after a couple of months on the bench after starting the season well,game was poor still think mcmillIan will be a great asset to the club and will score a barrel load of goals 

Going forward we weren't too bad yesterday I felt, we scored one, McMillan has as simple an opportunity as you'll get and we miss a penalty. It's not a stretch to say on another day we score at least three goals but the problem is we could have given up another one in addition to the couple we lost, if Motherwell had a better final pass at times than through any great test of Clark admittedly. 

Yesterday was the first time our strikers' inability to score really cost us. I know Kennedy has been playing up top but none of the three main guys have scored since McMillan against Aberdeen in September. In saying that, I thought Watt played pretty well again but he hasn't really looked like scoring since the St Mirren game. 

One of those days where you make a bad start and spend the whole game chasing yourself. Early goals were an issue last season and you have to hope that with yesterday and against Hearts that it isn't going to creep back in again. 

Overall, it's a week before Xmas and that's only our fifth defeat and the first that probably isn't expected. The game itself was a bit of a freak with the conditions and conceding from the first two occasions that Motherwell really get into our box. I think we saw enough from our performance over the remaining 73 minutes to carry belief that we can move on from it. 

10 hours ago, tucker said:

Thought mcmillIan tried in poor conditions lad gets one game after a couple of months on the bench after starting the season well,game was poor still think mcmillIan will be a great asset to the club and will score a barrel load of goals 

McMillan at least got into the position to miss 2 chances .Watt seems to do all his good work outside the box but has never looked like scoring for a while.

Hello all. Been lurking for a while, time for first post even though I've got nothing to add. Agree with most comments. 

Was pretty pissed off after the game at what I felt was a half-hearted performance compared to the joys of recent weeks, and it was a game that we should have won. Bit more composed now, and with head rather than heart, looking back it wasn't a terrible performance for most of the game. As has been said shipping 2 early on in those conditions against that Motherwell team is a mountain to climb, and the weather got much worse as the game went on. Can't complain about the fight on display but we're a team of sexy ballers now (apparently) so driving ice-rain ruins our flow,  like Hearts did. 

Think that those saying we were complacent are right and a lot of that was from the central mifield. Something seems up with Murray in the last 3 games, maybe age and years of injuries have finally caught up with him. A worry as there's no obvious cover. 

We're missing Drey Wright even more than I thought we would. There was no magic from Danny when he came on. He should really be starting now.

Also thought Motherwell were very very average (keeper did OK) and the 3 minutes to make 2 subs at the end should be looked at, about as blatant as it gets. 

Just hope we don't regret that sloppy start yesterday when it comes to top 6 break. Want 7 points before the New Year.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
typos

47 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Raging, recorded highlights just put it on as usual we are last game on,  programme tapes for 65 minutes , we come on at 61 minutes , see there first two goals and it goes off,  I know they dont like us but that is a new low even for the beeb.

If you want to make yourself even more miserable you can watch them on the bbc website :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46491832