Top 10 complete Saints marketing fails..

Melbourne Saint

I'm slightly bemused by some of Saints more ridiculous marketing/ merchandise activities over the past 20 years or so. Signings/ players are not included.

In no order...

- cardboard fans.

- the tartan away top.

- complete lack of any meaningful updates on the OF.

- Browns Jockey cap.

- shite matchday programmes

- marketing in general.

There must be more..... please give me nightmares.

4 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I'm slightly bemused by some of Saints more ridiculous marketing/ merchandise activities over the past 20 years or so. Signings/ players are not included.

In no order...

- cardboard fans.

- the tartan away top.

- Browns Jockey cap.

- marketing in general.

Nobody gives a XXXX mate

5 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

In no order...

- cardboard fans.

- the tartan away top.

- Browns Jockey cap.

- marketing in general.

I think if you're only able to rattle off 6 over 20 years (including a top that I'd now pay a chunk of cash for) you're doing ok Marketing wise.

In hindsight, the only major error was the period from winning the semi final against Aberdeen to 2 months after the final....but let's not go over all that again.

7 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

In no order...

- cardboard fans.

- the tartan away top.

- Browns Jockey cap.

- marketing in general.

Why was the tartan away top a marketing fail? I imagine it was probably a decent seller for the club. It was a much better strip than the current awful BLK effort.

What's Brown's jockey cap?

I'd say the one seriously big fail from the club from the last few years was the failure to get season ticket forms to everyone buying tickets to the Cup final, but that's been discussed to death on here.

Let's be fair, though - there have been successes too:

- A couple of videos have gone viral (the 'blue' one and the youth team playing keepy-uppy in the changing room).

- The whole 'May 17' gimmick around the Cup final.

- The Eses friendship and red/black kit

I think the tartan strip was a great top I would certainly put it in my top five all time Saints tops.

Overall the match day programme has always been fine it does the job,  probably a bit like Witherspoons pubs...….. nothing great but nothing awful but the potential is there for either criticism or credit depending on your mood that day.

that blue video / euro song was a classic,  son still pulls it up on youtube.

i think for a small club, we do ok with im sure a tiny budget versus others.

Maybe Saintslive TV could be achieved, as I see other small clubs with this,  hate signing up and canceling every week with these others, but  how much money would that really bring in? Few k/month at best, peanuts. Scottish game ultimately is fuked due to evil twins and the disparity of club cash. Less money for marketing is just one of many side effects.

Edited by Cleveland-Saint

1 hour ago, jhq said:

Why would Saints update us about the OF?  The day they start doing that is the day I hand back my Season ticket. 

He's referring to the Rangers collapse and aftermath, I think.... That or it is meant to say OS in relation to the website?

Marketing has been pretty poor, but I do think it is getting better. So much more potential there.

As pointed out, the big missed opportunity post cup win is the benchmark.

Yet to see it in the flesh, but the GS Brown advert on the north stand could be a late entry. The facade of the stadium is looking poor, so sticking a new sign on top not the best look. The wee red squares on the end bits annoy me every week, disproportionately so!

Guest ScottMann

Even if the caricatures were actually cardboard and not a stronger material they sold and brought in much needed money so were not a 'complete marketing failure' even if some folk thought they were embarrassing.  Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Edited by ScottMann

3 hours ago, ScottMann said:

Even if the caricatures were actually cardboard and not a stronger material they sold and brought in much needed money so were not a 'complete marketing failure' even if some folk thought they were embarrassing.  Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

True but Were embarrassing.i think raith rovers did it as well.no sure who was first to that daft idea.

i think sandy carr still got his.

3 hours ago, ScottMann said:

Imagine if ye put muirie behind them.they would be loud as fuq and blow ye away.

Guest ScottMann
2 hours ago, chips said:

Yawn.

It was the actual material, not their existence I was doubting. As 'plastic pitches' is used by the haters. 

Edited by ScottMann

5 hours ago, ScottMann said:

Yawn.

It was the actual material, not their existence I was doubting. As 'plastic pitches' is used by the haters. 

Yawn back to ya fella, was tongue in cheek response fae me with the pics... yer funny bone held together wi sellotape or summat ?  

Guest ScottMann
1 hour ago, chips said:

Yawn back to ya fella, was tongue in cheek response fae me with the pics... yer funny bone held together wi sellotape or summat ?  

The funny bone's in fine working order as per normal. The mind reading skills not so much.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:18 PM, Cleveland-Saint said:

Maybe Saintslive TV could be achieved, as I see other small clubs with this,  hate signing up and canceling every week with these others, but  how much money would that really bring in?  

which teams have it? Dons? Who else?

• 4 weeks later...

Biggest marketing fail ever for me was not getting season ticket forms out for 2014/15 after we won the semi-final. Handing them out with cup final tickets at the ticket office and putting them in envelopes to those receiving their tickets by post.

I often wonder how many ST holders we could've had that 14/15 season (and subsequent years due to habit) had the club been on the ball