Saints v Celtic, Sunday 3 Feb, league game.

cristo

Well we defended ok, Tanser mistake aside, but offered nothing. Callaghan and Davidson together is a brutal combination. We just could not keep the ball when we got it and it was easy for them being honest. Swanson failing again to show anything to say he was worth bringing back. Hope he proves me wrong though

11 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Reckon we should try Sean Goss on most set-pieces for the moment. Looks like he has a very good range of passing.

Never saw much of him to be honest but too early to judge especially against a team like Celtic who work hard & press relentlessly.

Got to take your chances against the likes of Celtic.

Tanser has improved....but has a long way to go to improve his defending and awareness. 

The second didn't really mean much, soon as we cocked up the corner the break was on.

Celtic's sending off was just stupid.

Why did Collum re-start the game when the stewards were still on the pitch??

Whilst it did not affect the outcome of today’s game I find it incredibly frustrating that Izaguirre had 7 or 8 fouls against him in the first half including a studs up challenge in the box and a blatant trip on Danny Swanson yet William Collum  booked Swanson for what was an obviously accidental trip in the second half and what was probably his 2nd or 3rd foul. He also couldn’t get the card out of his pocket quick enough.

15 minutes ago, Gas Monkey said:

Well we defended ok, Tanser mistake aside, but offered nothing. Callaghan and Davidson together is a brutal combination. We just could not keep the ball when we got it and it was easy for them being honest. Swanson failing again to show anything to say he was worth bringing back. Hope he proves me wrong though

Callaghan tried but passed the ball against his opponent nearly every time & his lack of ball control with no cover behind him led to 2nd goal.

Swanson was there to provide cover for Foster but gave Isogiry too much space & roamed into midfield too often. Did try his best though.

Thought we defended well as a unit. Kerr and Joe fantastic once again. Zander clear MOM with a series of fantastic saves. Feel sorry for Tanser, he was at fault for the second goal, but apart from that he put a good shift in.

Thought Goss looked very decent with some of his passing and with the threat we have from wide, I think he could unlock alot of teams from deep.

Swanson didn't particularly impress me today, but I'd argue this isn't the sort of game he is going to prove his true worth.

My main complaint today was Tony Watt. He's a cracking player, with a very good touch but ultimately his job is to put the ball in the back of the net. He had three opportunities to do so, or atleast make the keeper work, and he was lacking with all three attempts. Was disappointed O Halloran never got a chance earlier playing up against their centre-backs. Always going to be a struggle to create much from the right side when we were pinned back.

That's the best I've seen Saints since before Christmas. 

Goss looks decent, Kennedy not quite back to form but definitely better, Callaghan put in a great shift and as usual our CBs were impressive. Zander MOTM. 

Danny wasn't in the game much and personally I'd rather have seen MOH on for him than Spoony, as when he did come on I thought he had more game-changing 'aura' than DW. 

Big problems today with right and left back. Foster struggled and seemed to me to make poor decisions, with sub-standard distribution. Tanser arguably cost us the game, and that corner was absolutely shocking. As many have noted a much improved player but he does sometimes get shown up when we have to step up. When's Easton back?

Really hate to say this but much as Watt is great holding up, finding an out-ball and drawing fouls he's running out of road when it comes to being a lone striker. Given his ability he really needed to have taken one of the 2 chances he had today.

Liked the fact that Tommy chased it at 1-0, even though it cost us a late goal (more Tanser than tactics). Don't honestly think I can say we deserved a draw but that's not to say we couldn't have got it.  Based on today we should be confident of top 6.

Last minute edit - wtf was going on with that haddy Lustig getting to stroll down the middle of the park all afternoon? 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Just a wee thank you to all who dontated to today’s bucket collection and helped raise £866 for Kinfauns RDA which is most appreciated and will provide so much joy to the handicapped riders. 

I hope none of you got conned by the pair collecting outside the gates next to the Tesco roundabout, they were apparently collecting for animal welfare with ‘green and white’ buckets, but didn’t have permission from the club to be collecting.

On another day it could have been some what different. Celtic smashed us in spells, couldnt get near them, making it every frustrating for the lapse for the first goal... been in that position myself playing when you think youve got time, such a hard one to take as the game could have drawn out a blank..  

In other spells, how did we not score today.. hope it'll improve for the cup game and take one two or three chances.

Team played well parking the bus, but we did nothing with the ball and if we got a chance to play 2 or 3 passes we were clinical fouled all game, which the ref encouraged with lack of enforcement.

Onward we go, hope the legs are rested and ready to go on plastic midweek. 

Think we are just lulling smeltic into a false sense of security for the cup game...  

5 minutes ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

Just a wee thank you to all who dontated to today’s bucket collection and helped raise £866 for Kinfauns RDA which is most appreciated and will provide so much joy to the handicapped riders. 

I hope none of you got conned by the pair collecting outside the gates next to the Tesco roundabout, they were apparently collecting for animal welfare with ‘green and white’ buckets, but didn’t have permission from the club to be collecting.

Excellent well done, probably weegie scum outside the stadium conning decent folks as usual. Again well done and hope the kids get great enjoyment from it

Today didn't matter too much apart from putting up a decent show. The results yesterday meant we were not much worse off regarding league position.

It is also 3 games against Celtic out of the way & not many will take points off them.

The most important game now is Hamilton on Wednesday.