Saints v Celtic, Sunday 3 Feb, league game.

cristo

OK a few thoughts on the game.

Defence was generally ok despite a backs to the wall approach at times. Zander outstanding again although I'm not too keen on his distribution to Joe/Jason putting them under pressure. He was also bloody lucky not to be hit by that flare - when are we going to see stewards/police take some action (ditto nicking the match ball).

Jason and Joe both played well. Tanser made one costly mistake but he won more of his battles with Forrest and co than before which is only a good thing. Foster was solid if caught up the park a few times - unfortunately he wasn't being well supported by Swanson (compare it to the cover Drey gave him earlier in the season).

Midfield seemed to struggle to work out who they were marking or to get forward quickly enough to support the front men. Goss had a decent game and played some clever passes. Muzz's first touch was poor but did ok. I thought Callachan had a pretty good game given how he tried to hold the play up for a good pass rather than panic - unfortunately it also meant he got closed down too often. Matty had a good game and Watt did well given he was on his own but Tony has to start putting away some of these chances.

As for Danny I'm losing patience with him - he looks woefully slow and far too often was either disinterested and not chasing down the ball. He is a decent player but as it stands there are a lot more midfielders pushing to start games (Alston would I think have given us more down the right today) and he has to start delivering before he turns into another Scougall.

38 minutes ago, saintee in exile said:

Watts missed header was poor..he defo lacks the killer blow infront of goal

Not unless it was a back hander..

As for Danny, completely disagree with all negative comments. He put one hell of a right back shift in today.  Completely on the back foot, gee him a break.  His qualities are going forward but given the pressure and kicking Celtic where giving he literraly had no time on the ball.  I was pleased he got an hour into his legs, that was one heck of a work out.  

On paper, with the money they have, this game should have been a cakewalk for them.

The fact it took two errors from us to break us down says more about them, than us.

I was disappointed in the result as I think we did enough to merit at least a draw... we all know you don’t always get what you deserve.. 

Third time lucky ...

2 hours ago, GMac said:

Well Bros,

I thought Goss was doss.

well, if he has to be called Bros .... i thought he was okay, considering new teammates, new formation & up against the best team in the league.  a few games under his belt and hopefully he'll be an asset. just can't get that fricking song out of my head when he's on the ball. thanks @cristo... grrrrr....

Edited by Melbourne Saint

Not a bad performance from Saints. 

Incredible how many times you wonder if celtic are playing with the same number of players, there movement was incredible. 

Saints should have taken the lead though as Kennedy had a golden opportunity, as did Watt with his shot and the header. Can only think that he saw the post and took his eye off the ball. 

Collum may have done us a favour with the penalty call in the second half but it was by no means a stonewaller. Really frustrates you when a ref is so inconsistent. A player scores and goes into the crowd causing fans to get hurt, going by the kids led out of the area and he rightly gets booked. Second player goes into the same area of the crowd after scoring and he has a wee word in his ear instead of booking him. 

Just need to stuff them next week now. 

Edited by mainstand

27 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

well, if he has to be called Bros .... i thought he was okay, considering new teammates, new formation & up against the best team in the league.  a few games under his belt and hopefully he'll be an asset. just can't get that fricking song out of my head when he's on the ball. thanks @cristo... grrrrr....

Haha, sorry mate but I know what you mean. We'll just use his first name from now on. Sounds like he did alright so hope to see him in action soon. I always feel a loan signing in January needs to impress immediately. If he becomes a regular these next few months, are we in a position to sign him?

1 hour ago, Wendy Saints said:

On paper, with the money they have, this game should have been a cakewalk for them.

The fact it took two errors from us to break us down says more about them, than us.

I was disappointed in the result as I think we did enough to merit at least a draw... we all know you don’t always get what you deserve.. 

Third time lucky ...

Agree with all of that. Tanser waiting for the ball to come to him. Callaghan miscontrol  along with bad missed by Kennedy & Watt . We should have got at least a draw.

Definitely positives in that we created chances this time and were solid in the most. However, for all we've brought in lots of attacking players this season I still think we're a little toothless. Tony Watt just doesn't strike me as a goalscorer. Very good footballer yes but not an out and out striker. He never looks like he's going to score.

The singing of Goss should help though. He played some lovely passes to open up Kennedy and showed great range of passes until he tired. We need that in the team to get the good players in dangerous areas.

Roll on Wednesday....big big game. 

Edited by Broon

11 hours ago, cristo said:

I had to settle for radio commentary today and great to hear Willie Miller, Pat Bonner and the commentator salivating over Zander. Miller also seems a big fan of Kerr. I wonder if Peter Grant was watching.

Les Ferdinand who is director of football at QPR was certainly watching. Can't imagine he came all that way to watch Goss? 

Edited by garydavidson

Did Celtic really only have 11 players, then 10, then 9. You wouldnt have known. Although credit to Saints for pushing them hard enough and forcing them to make the changes they did. Tommy was asked about Zander being considered for Scotland after the match. Tommy was brilliantly blunt as anything and said he wasnt interested in Scotland and that Peter Grant knew where to find him and that he had previously been disrespectful to the club. 

Edited by Rob