Celtic v Saints, Scottish Cup February 10th

ejksjfc

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I don't think that's fair. The players have no confidence and Celtic had two or three players straight on top of anyone who got the ball, no team in the country will play through that.

Imo Random that is a fair assessment, Low in confidence does not mean lack of effort/fight. that was on show today, summed up in the last few minutes Celtic 5 up Johnny Hayes (FFS) wipes out Watt and gets booked, Did we have a booking today canny mind.

Anyway as said it is over! Roll on next week    

Guest ScottMann
5 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

I'm sorry lesser saints teams have competed against much better Celtic teams.

Was writing something similar. We haven't even scored against them in the last 7 games although we did get one draw in that. 7 games!

Airdrie did better against a strong Celtic in the previous round and no wonder folk think Celtic have perked up since they lost the Old Firm match...they've played 7 games which include 3 against us! They've also played St Mirren, Hamilton and Hibs. Earth shattering.

Ignoring all the football manager style drivel, something just isn't right these days when we play this lot.

Edited by ScottMann

3 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

The very least you have to do is be in their faces and tight to stop them play, not stand off hold your shape and try to frustrate 

I agree.

Clearly,  the deck is stacked against us in terms of resources and we can't expect to be winning these game. We can expect to LOOK as if we want to though. 

Now, some have said  'no point in going for it' becuase we'll get hammered. Well here's the thing .. if we set up to try to stop them playing when players like Foster put in a performance like we saw today, we'll get hammered. We need balance.

Not much point in picking over the bones of today but we do need improvement in most of the park. We have too many 6/10 players in our squat to expect to compete against a team of 8 and 9's. 

However since the winter break there are consistent themes. I think Davidson might be past it now, Goss and Callachan look our best central midfield options (Callachan is a better Murray than Murray now). Kerr and Joe are being asked to do too much, Tanser needs to step up a level again and Foster's form issues are painful. I simply cannot understand why Gordon wasn't on that bench.

We are a better team with Tony Watt playing, even if he's not finishing. I think that Kane and Watt in a 4-4-2 could be our best option. Who knows.

I can (just about) take being 15-0 against Celtic in 4 games, but it was the same sort of performace that got us a 2-1 loss at Hamilton on Wednesday. Something's just not right with this team in terms of effort and desire, and i think it IS fair to be a bit critical of that.

We've got a Morelos-less Rangers on Saturday - he was the difference last time we played them. They are beatable but we need attacking threat on the park and not on the bench. When Tommy said that he wants to get into a settled squad I really hope that he wasn't thinking that the starting 11 today is our best option.

Poor performance and Celtic playing well at the moment. Celtic are looking at competing in Europe, buying and getting players in who compete at that level and then play them against teams like Saints who's goal every year is to stay in the league. My disappointment is that there are other teams with similar resources who compete more against Celtic. Saints haven't played well since the break but hopefully they can pick themselves up. 

55 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

The very least you have to do is be in their faces and tight to stop them play, not stand off hold your shape and try to frustrate 

I am sure we beat the Lisbon Lions in their heyday.

We had a few finals & semi finals against OF teams when we were in lower league.

It's as much about tactics & ambition.

If you set up like we have done against Celtic & a few others ,trying to keep score down you will get what we got.

2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Wonder if he has been told he is not getting a new contract.

Based on the level of shitbaggery today think he shouldn't be offered and as the weeks go on not fussed with Joe staying either. The guy Gallagher from livi looks decent to replace either if we get him.

Also Liam Craig playing so high up is not the answer, yeah wright can deflect as much as he likes but he sets the team up,  the negative formations at Celtic can live with, but why against a poor hertz team and accies, too much respect shown.

Paid good money the last few weeks to watch that lack of effort, lack of attacking threat, about two shots a game, lack of composure etc, the body language of a few of them doesn't sit right at the moment 

Need to get it sorted as don't get this crap about nothing to play for,  as still in a good position for top six, so better prize money and better crowds playing there, so hope they manage to get their fingers out of their arses and least put a bit of fight in next week at greyskull. 

Obviously Celtic are a class above, but that's nothing new. We drew twice at Celtic park last season against Celtic teams that weren't a million miles away from the one today, and thats with Aaron Comrie and Paul Paton in one of our starting line ups. 

I don't expect us to go there and get a result, but I do want to see us put up a fight, be organised and show some passion.  I saw Foster pull out of two challenges today, and the only robust foul I can remember was by Hayes. We let them bully us all over the park.

Just now, Rob said:

Buckle up folks we are in for a bumpy ride. Rangers will be a tough game and so will Aberdeen as they've been scoring plenty and have a consistent goal scorer in Cosgrove. Something we haven't had all season. 

Aye. Seat belts on .lets get posted pished 

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Obviously Celtic are a class above, but that's nothing new. We drew twice at Celtic park last season against Celtic teams that weren't a million miles away from the one today, and thats with Aaron Comrie and Paul Paton in one of our starting line ups. 

I don't expect us to go there and get a result, but I do want to see us put up a fight, be organised and show some passion.  I saw Foster pull out of two challenges today, and the only robust foul I can remember was by Hayes. We let them bully us all over the park.

Once we knew we were beat, we should have been kicking lumps out of them in the second half (without getting players sent off and giving them free kicks in vulnerable areas). Instead we just let them play flowing football. Even when they were 4 up they were tackling us aggressively and muscling us off the ball. This wasn't unlike the hammering we got at McDiarmid and I thought the team had learnt from that experience.

Edited by Rob

Starting to think that we weren't as good as we seemed before the New Year, maybe it was the teams we were playing who were just making us look good by being pretty terrible themselves. When we won 4-0, Accies were just awful, so it was wasn't because we were terrific. 

Edited by Rob

25 minutes ago, Rob said:

Once we knew we were beat, we should have been kicking lumps out of them in the second half (without getting players sent off and giving them free kicks in vulnerable areas). Instead we just let them play flowing football. Even when they were 4 up they were tackling us aggressively and muscling us off the ball. This wasn't unlike the hammering we got at McDiarmid and I thought the team had learnt from that experience.

Well done Rob you have spotted the theory the players have.........we went on a great unbeaten run after the Tic gubbed as so let them do us again.