Rangers v Saints Saturday 16 Feb League Game 26

garydavidson

I hope we start with a recognized formation and don't try anything cute here; we need to get back to that closing down game we had in Perth a week past Sunday and hope one of our shot shy forwards can take a chance or two. There is no reason we can't cant hang with this mob and hopefully frustrate them.

Lets get an early goal!

48 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I hope we start with a recognized formation and don't try anything cute here; we need to get back to that closing down game we had in Perth a week past Sunday and hope one of our shot shy forwards can take a chance or two. There is no reason we can't cant hang with this mob and hopefully frustrate them.

Lets get an early goal!

I suspect Tommy will look at the display and the formation that we played against Rangers at McD and try that same set up again. 

important that we dont lose any early goals.

£27 isn’t worth it to see us sit on our own 18 yard line, or just inside our own half. What’s even worse is if we sit at least a couple of yards away from every one of their players and lose 5-1, as we did last time at Ibrox. They’re not Celtic and there’s no Morelos. We should at least look like we’re trying. :)

Not usually negative but really hoping we keep it down to a good bit less than the 5 last week from the other cheek. Morelos missing should help. 

Never know if we could pinch a goal early perhaps there is a chance here. 

edit. Getting some optimism back though still won’t go back to that hostile shithole.

29 minutes ago, south inch said:

Think it would be better to keep them out and pinch a late goal, like say the 92nd minute!

That's not been working for us recently.

Makes sense not to 'have a go' at Celtic, but this lot are a different proposition entirely. 

Can't remember the team that went out at McDairmid but they did well enough and could easily have sneaked it if Morelos wasn't playing that day.

Zander

Foster J+J Tanser

Spoony Craig Goss Swanson

Kennedy

Watt

I do wonder if Tommy is thinking of a back 3 with Gordon back in, which might explain his absense from the bench on Sunday but full 90 minutes on Monday.

Anyway I'm hopeful - got a good feeling about this one. If getting one tanking off Celtic puts us on a great run, imagine what the rebound will like be from 3 humpings.

(Don't mention Hamilton, that didn't happen).

Don't think a back three is the way to go against this Rangers team at all. They play with one striker and their threat comes from wide, with both the wingers and full backs. Good players that Arfield, Jack, McCrorie etc... are, if you force them through the middle, they don't really have the inventiveness of what we've faced from Celtic. 

I'd go 4-4-1-1 and as tempting as it is after the way he played against them at Perth, I'd have Kennedy in the ten role rather than leading the line. Tony Watt needs to have a big game though, he's been very disappointing against the top sides.

Clark

Foster - Kerr - Shaughnessy - Tanser

Alston - Davidson - Goss - Craig

Kennedy 

Watt

Subs: Bell, Gordon, Keown, Callachan, Wotherspoon, Swanson, Kane. 

7 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Don't think a back three is the way to go against this Rangers team at all. They play with one striker and their threat comes from wide, with both the wingers and full backs. Good players that Arfield, Jack, McCrorie etc... are, if you force them through the middle, they don't really have the inventiveness of what we've faced from Celtic. 

I'd go 4-4-1-1 and as tempting as it is after the way he played against them at Perth, I'd have Kennedy in the ten role rather than leading the line. Tony Watt needs to have a big game though, he's been very disappointing against the top sides.

Clark

Foster - Kerr - Shaughnessy - Tanser

Alston - Davidson - Goss - Craig

Kennedy 

Watt

Subs: Bell, Gordon, Keown, Callachan, Wotherspoon, Swanson, Kane. 

Agree on the shape, I was just trying to figure out what Tommy was up to with Gordon. 

Would be happy enough to see Alston start (well, relatively 'happy'). Do you think Craig's the man for left wing? He looked awful slow to me at Hamilton. Not saying Spoony's much quicker but I think he's got more tools in the bag and it seems he played well in the reserve game. I'm hoping for a burst of form from him now that he's had time to settle in and he's got some more game time in his legs. I'd like to see him back in the middle of the park in a more holding role where I think he's been quiet effective giving cover.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Craig has been way more effective in central holding position and has been playing and contributing really well of late in that role. Don't see the logic of sticking him wide on the left he doesn't have the pace for that role I think Swanson better option in that position, more of a goal threat albeit weaker defensively. Depends on how positive TW sets it up I guess

I think we have to accept that at Ibrox, Tavernier is going to spend a lot of time high up the pitch. If you go with Swanson, you just end up with an attacking player doing a lot of defending. 

Craig maybe isn't ideal but he scored off the left at Accies and does have decent delivery. Importantly, he'll do a job on Tavernier, help Tanser and also has the discipline to fill in if Tanser has an opportunity on the overlap. Wotherspoon is the other option but I'd go with Craig. Alston has the legs to get about the pitch which is why I'd go for him over Wotherspoon on right.

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Agree on the shape, I was just trying to figure out what Tommy was up to with Gordon. 

Would be happy enough to see Alston start (well, relatively 'happy'). Do you think Craig's the man for left wing? He looked awful slow to me at Hamilton. Not saying Spoony's much quicker but I think he's got more tools in the bag and it seems he played well in the reserve game. I'm hoping for a burst of form from him now that he's had time to settle in and he's got some more game time in his legs. I'd like to see him back in the middle of the park in a more holding role where I think he's been quiet effective giving cover.

Oops. Just realised I said Spoony when I meant Swanson. Started on the ales a little early tonight. 

Can't edit the post though?

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

I think we have to accept that at Ibrox, Tavernier is going to spend a lot of time high up the pitch. If you go with Swanson, you just end up with an attacking player doing a lot of defending. 

Craig maybe isn't ideal but he scored off the left at Accies and does have decent delivery. Importantly, he'll do a job on Tavernier, help Tanser and also has the discipline to fill in if Tanser has an opportunity on the overlap. Wotherspoon is the other option but I'd go with Craig. Alston has the legs to get about the pitch which is why I'd go for him over Wotherspoon on right.

Can see the logic. Agree Danny's not the guy to track back, maybe Alson's a fair shout and he loves playing 'the Rangers'. Can't get Craig's sluggishness out of my head though. Problem is that we've got a few players at about the same level that can play on the wing, but they're not great wingers.Odd that Matty is probably our best winger but it's possibly not his best position.

When Drey Wright's back in the team, it takes away 50% of the selection problem. 

BBC have Jermain Defoe and Kyle Lafferty as major injury doubts for Saturday.

"We'll see how the next few hours go and hopefully Defoe and Lafferty pull through. It's a concern but I'll give them both every chance of being available and we'll go from there."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47252698

22 hours ago, garydavidson said:

BBC have Jermain Defoe and Kyle Lafferty as major injury doubts for Saturday.

"We'll see how the next few hours go and hopefully Defoe and Lafferty pull through. It's a concern but I'll give them both every chance of being available and we'll go from there."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47252698

I can see both being available. Even without them it will be a huge task but I'm hoping we start playing to our strength - I haven't enjoyed my Saturday evening adult beverage after a win for a long time - here's hoping.

Neither Defoe or Lafferty are even close to Morelos in terms of ability, hes the big one that's missing.

Add in their starting keeper is out, and they'll be chucking in a ring rusty one, and you have to hope the squad start to believe the stars are aligning in their favour. 

We got rinsed by them at Ibrox by being far more attacking than was sensible, but that was mostly Morelos dragging the defence apart, and more than matched them at home until Morelos, again, made the difference.

No reason to believe we can't win this, it's just the equivalent of playing Aberdeen at Pittodrie

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Neither Defoe or Lafferty are even close to Morelos in terms of ability, hes the big one that's missing.

Add in their starting keeper is out, and they'll be chucking in a ring rusty one, and you have to hope the squad start to believe the stars are aligning in their favour. 

We got rinsed by them at Ibrox by being far more attacking than was sensible, but that was mostly Morelos dragging the defence apart, and more than matched them at home until Morelos, again, made the difference.

No reason to believe we can't win this, it's just the equivalent of playing Aberdeen at Pittodrie

Yet in our last game against them at McDiarmid it wasn't until Lafferty came on that they started to cause us problems. Defoe is a finisher and he can have a very quiet game and still be a game changer. Ultimately I'm glad if all three are out.

TEAM NEWS | Today's Saints team to face Rangers FC:

Cammy Bell, Richard Foster, Scott Tanser, Joe Shaughnessy (c), Jason Kerr, Sean Goss, Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, David Wotherspoon, Matty Kennedy, Chris Kane.

SUBS: Mark Hurst, Blair Alston, Danny Swanson, Callum Hendry, Liam Gordon, Ross Callachan, Niall Keown.

#SJFCLive

26 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

TEAM NEWS | Today's Saints team to face Rangers FC:

Cammy Bell, Richard Foster, Scott Tanser, Joe Shaughnessy (c), Jason Kerr, Sean Goss, Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, David Wotherspoon, Matty Kennedy, Chris Kane.

SUBS: Mark Hurst, Blair Alston, Danny Swanson, Callum Hendry, Liam Gordon, Ross Callachan, Niall Keown.

#SJFCLive

Strange.