Coming Home

blueheaven

I know a lot of people on here started out in Perth and have ended up moving to different places all over the world. Just curious to know, are there many among us who have successfully returned to Perth after time away?

I've lived in England for the last 13 years and would love to move back to Perth but it seems quite a difficult thing to do (in particular with regard to finding a suitable job - from looking at various job sites, it seems there's not much that is regularly available unless you're a teacher, social worker, driver or retail assistant).

Would love to hear people's experiences of doing this (or attempting to).

I know 2 or 3 people that moved back to Scotland Perth included I even helped the Perth lad pack up for his trip back then a while later he was back here. Its called the $15,000 mistake over here as that what it used to cost to find out you had made a mistake.

But personally I think it depends on how long you've been gone and what your expectations are when you go back i.e. do you end up wie your auld mates same area same work opportunities. I got a call from Perth a few years ago to give a young couple from Perth a call who were over here and were homesick and were thinking of going back to Perrth the girl told she missed the Railway club on a Saturday night they missed the lifestyle they went back. Ill be honest we had been in Ontario a few years and my ex was homesick and wanted to go back I sent her and the kids home but I could not sell our house here and she had to come back with the kids. Must have been fate Im still here 53 years later sorry for the ramble.

23 hours ago, john.w said:

I know 2 or 3 people that moved back to Scotland Perth included I even helped the Perth lad pack up for his trip back then a while later he was back here. Its called the $15,000 mistake over here as that what it used to cost to find out you had made a mistake.

But personally I think it depends on how long you've been gone and what your expectations are when you go back i.e. do you end up wie your auld mates same area same work opportunities. I got a call from Perth a few years ago to give a young couple from Perth a call who were over here and were homesick and were thinking of going back to Perrth the girl told she missed the Railway club on a Saturday night they missed the lifestyle they went back. Ill be honest we had been in Ontario a few years and my ex was homesick and wanted to go back I sent her and the kids home but I could not sell our house here and she had to come back with the kids. Must have been fate Im still here 53 years later sorry for the ramble.

The $15,000 mistake... does that refer to the mistake of leaving your home town, or the mistake of going back to it?

Personally I've loved my years away from home as I've had a life/career I could never have had in Perth, but I'm also reaching the point where I look at the Perth lifestyle and location and size and house prices (especially the house prices) and think that, if you can find the right job, it's a cracking place to live. The job thing is definitely the major sticking point though!

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

The $15,000 mistake... does that refer to the mistake of leaving your home town, or the mistake of going back to it?

Personally I've loved my years away from home as I've had a life/career I could never have had in Perth, but I'm also reaching the point where I look at the Perth lifestyle and location and size and house prices (especially the house prices) and think that, if you can find the right job, it's a cracking place to live. The job thing is definitely the major sticking point though!

Mistake of going back to hometown for I guess the wrong reasons but homesickness isn't good on you

On 2/19/2019 at 1:26 PM, blueheaven said:

I know a lot of people on here started out in Perth and have ended up moving to different places all over the world. Just curious to know, are there many among us who have successfully returned to Perth after time away?

I've lived in England for the last 13 years and would love to move back to Perth but it seems quite a difficult thing to do (in particular with regard to finding a suitable job - from looking at various job sites, it seems there's not much that is regularly available unless you're a teacher, social worker, driver or retail assistant).

Would love to hear people's experiences of doing this (or attempting to).

Although Perth may be restricted in terms of job opportunties (i.e. there's not that many major employers other than those you mention), it's not actually that much of a commute to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee etc. where the job options are greater. Of course, that would still be too much for many people, but I work in the Midlands and loads of my colleagues have a commute of an hour plus each way and see it as quite normal (and I have several friends living in London who have a much shorter commute in terms of distance but it still takes them well over an hour to get to work).

20 hours ago, Dooj said:

Although Perth may be restricted in terms of job opportunties (i.e. there's not that many major employers other than those you mention), it's not actually that much of a commute to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee etc. where the job options are greater. Of course, that would still be too much for many people, but I work in the Midlands and loads of my colleagues have a commute of an hour plus each way and see it as quite normal (and I have several friends living in London who have a much shorter commute in terms of distance but it still takes them well over an hour to get to work).

Been looking into commuting but I'd probably be using public transport (initially at least) and I reckon Dundee and Stirling are do-able for that, but I think Glasgow and Edinburgh are a bit much (in terms of both time and expense).

Totally agree with your point on London commutes - distance from my home to my current job is 7 miles, and it takes me well over an hour most days.

Been away 34 years............never moving back !!! I mean, let's face it, the crap I get away with, and the anonymity of the big city would never be tolerated in Perth :eek:

When I was younger I'd "move back" and last a few weeks, once i managed a year. Have a relative who was away for 19 years, then Perth for 8 in retirement but didn't enjoy it so she returned to the city.

Was up a few weeks ago, and while I always enjoy it, I really got a sense of what a top place it is to live. Real pride in the place, folk grow and live together. There's something special about that. It's missing in the big city. I've been in the same house for 14 years and don't know my neighbours (literally don't know them!).

Perth is an amazing place, and it's getting better - Western Edge for starters.

One day....one day............when I win the lottery and don't have to find that ever elusive job!

Edited by MySpazz