Saints v Saints 16/3/2019

Cagey

Brutal stuff in second half.

You would wonder what team was fighting relegation.

They were faster ,fitter,more skillful .

We were slow,ponderous,frightened to make mistakes & unable to pass the ball to our own players.

Midfield were brutal & there are no words to describe Shaunessy. Couldn't pass to his own player or keep the ball in the park,hardly won a tackle all night without losing it again. Mind you he shouldn't be playing on left.

We have tried a back 3 a few times this season but the players never looked comfortable.

One plus for back 3 was that Liam Gordon got a game & showed that he should be in team . I would say go back to back 4 & drop Joe.

We were very poor tonight. That team was set up to be compact and stodgy.... I'll repeat myself once again Callachan is a better option than Davidson and we would of been better suited having either an attacking midfielder or a striker that was willing to drop deep to link play. The three middle men sat far too deep the whole game and regularly the wing backs were left with terrible passing options as there was no one down the line and no central midfielder trying to open up space for a simple pass. Long ball after long ball.

Both Forster and Joe clearly didn't like their position in the new formation.

Kane had a great first half, Gordon looked solid and Callachan once again put a hell of a shift in. Everyone else didn't impress.

Tommy set out to get the three points and he pulled it off, but that was horrific to watch. We have a ton of attacking talent, but not much of it on show lately.

I must be the only one who enjoyed the time wasting at the corner flag in injury time to run down the clock.

Must have been the most we passed to our own players AND retained possession. At least the Fakes could not score from there.

As said Joe , Foster and Tanser were poor. Muzz floated about , pointing to others to cover opponents while he contributed little. 

Pass marks to Kane , Callachan , Gordon & Kerr. Also Zander for keeping his eyes on the ball to save the penalty with his feet , despite diving to his right.

Just seen the sending off on tv, which was fully deserved , as the guy caught Foster on his shin which could have been a leg breaker.

Summing up 2nd half was brutal , but hey-ho a win is better than a brilliant performance and end up losing.

While St. Midden tried to play the ball to feet and looked the better side in the 2nd half , they are where they are , because their shooting was woeful.

Just home after a much happier trek up the A9!

The word of the night would appear to be brutal and I certainly wouldn't argue with that. Agree with Hoodlum's summary 100%.

The most important thing about that game was obviously getting the three points. That apart it was grim fare indeed.

A wee word of admiration for the St Mirren fans tonight, I thought they were fantastic.  

Edited by Dave Ferg

Anti football returns to Saints. 3 points, happy, but that was a terrible game to watch.  The only bit of football, I mean when we actually passed and found players was, Muzz chance in second half.  It's as if for 2 weeks they'd never seen a ball.

Might actually make us sharper for Motherwell away having got 90 mins in after the break.

We didnt look pretty, we actually looked like a relegation team, very disjointed. Worrying to see us create few chances.

The funniest point was the red card, thought Foster was going to lamp the lad.  Everyone trying to calm him down.  He gestures he's fine as he follows the red carded lad in the direction of the tunnel.... was just waiting on Foster running up to him and punching his puss.   Foster, you disappointed me!

Edited by Dave H

Last night's 3 points means we cant finish bottom. That's a relief. 

Highly unlikely we will finish in the bottom 3. 

A lot of league position cash to play for berween now and the end of the season. Team will be under pressure to get as many points as possible as bonus money will depend on league position. 

Currently averaging just one goal a game which is anti entertainment. 

Ability to score more than once in a game has deserted us. Need to find the net again and regain some confidence as we must not carry current form into next season.

Season ticket sales will be brutal unless fans have something to get excited about before the end of the season. 

There is every chance we could end up being the team to relegate one of the bottom 3 although expect bottom place to come from current bottom 2.

3 months ago the door was open to top 4, door is now open to bottom 4. Saturdays game is massive, we can't control what Hibs do on Friday we just need to keep winning. 

The situation with our Captain has not been handled well, he should be dropped. Clearly not going to be here next year so stick him in the reserves now and give Gordon a run. 

The FCU has been a huge loss, could really do with a big vocal backing and decent atmosphere v Dundee next week, average fan age in East Stand has shot up this year, we need to find a way to get the young team back or another generation of supporters will be gone for ever which is soul destroying. 

Brutal stuff again, but still its three points, seem to totally capitulate in the second half of games, the defence is all over the place at times and the distribution is horrendous, captain courageous being the biggest culprit, along with tanser and foster the three of them have been awful for weeks. Callahan got about but real lack of creativity in midfield and Davidson seems to have lost his edge. Kane worked hard up front and looked decent and watt looked a bit livier when he came on, thought last summer we had the squad looking good but work to be done this summer as clearly some positions need strengthening. Also if Alston dropped due to contract issues why is Joe not, as he is a total liability at the moment, would go with Gordon and Kerr 

Edited by crieffsaintandy

3 hours ago, mainstand said:

We never went to a 4 at the back.

Tanser dropped back,Joe moved further right and Foster was more of a midfielder, none the less we were all over the feckin place, so just as well the fakes were shite.

Edited by GMac

27 minutes ago, GMac said:

Tanser dropped back,Joe moved further right and Foster was more of a midfielder, none the less we were all over the feckin place, so just as well the fakes were shite.

I think it was"all over the place" more than back 4.

Whilst I am on. Why the feck were the fans in east stand booing when we were keeping ball in corner. We have been caught out with breakaways late in games before & we NEEDED that win.

40 minutes ago, GMac said:

I think they were just trying to combat the attacking formation that st Mirren were going with in the last 30 mins. Don't think we intentionally changed to a 4.