Motherwell v St Johnstone 30/3/2019

Cagey

On 3/28/2019 at 10:55 AM, Cagey said:

As I started the last game thread & we won for the first time in an eternity I feel it is incumbent on me to start this one & hope the luck continues.

That didn't work. Looks like we need more than luck.

Looks like we needed Macca in the dressing room as well as on the field.

Just now, GMac said:

Team selection, tactics ? Yet another turgid display, wished this season could be at an end, fecking dire.

Manager and players have to look at themselves.

Must win game and we set up solely to counter the opposition, and then just aimlessly punt balls when we actually have it. A club that's scared to lose to the point of being immobilized by it.

Have to hope the shackles come off now we've nothing to play for, hes got no excuse to shitfest games now.

Last 20 mins apart performance was much improved on Wed night but Well are also a decent side. Didn't help things by Liam fecking up the penalty and some inconsistent referee decisions. But the big issue was the lack of composure in midfield - if we're going to be playing with wingers we need to get the ball played to their feed and, just as importantly the wingers need to run at defenders. Well's defence was shaky at times (credit to Kane for chasing loads of lost causes down) but too often the ball ended up at Kane with 4 opponents around him and no outlet on either flank.

Defence has to take a lot of the blame for the goals though - first was a decent break but the 2nd should have been closed down earlier and as for the 3rd, lets just say Scott Bain will sleep easier re the Scotland jersey tonight.

1 hour ago, templeofsaints said:

Last 20 mins apart performance was much improved on Wed night but Well are also a decent side. Didn't help things by Liam fecking up the penalty and some inconsistent referee decisions. But the big issue was the lack of composure in midfield - if we're going to be playing with wingers we need to get the ball played to their feed and, just as importantly the wingers need to run at defenders. Well's defence was shaky at times (credit to Kane for chasing loads of lost causes down) but too often the ball ended up at Kane with 4 opponents around him and no outlet on either flank.

Defence has to take a lot of the blame for the goals though - first was a decent break but the 2nd should have been closed down earlier and as for the 3rd, lets just say Scott Bain will sleep easier re the Scotland jersey tonight.

Tommy has signed wingers til he has them coming out his ears but plays them as auxiliary full backs.

We play one up front without support & no midfielder willing go ahead of the ball.

We play not to get beat & Tommy is more interested in matching up to teams rather than making teams worry about us.

As with the last few years the football has not been a nice watch ,hence the falling crowds.

Just now, slf said:

Time for a change 

this is shit 

bus load of stj  fans on the beer ,to the game we not going near.

Work it out .

One pub.silence we got a pen. It’s gonna go .... then we miss and. Silence again all turn back to our beer .

****en shite .all pissed orf

A few thoughts from Saturday.

I thought we played pretty well in parts. The game had the feel of a stalemate but we were certainly the more likely to be winners until 'Well scored and then that was it - you just knew we weren't coming back. Their first goal was really tidy and the sort of quality that changes games and that was the case.

Joe has been taking a bit of flack recently for his performances but I thought he looked solid enough despite a few stray passes; his effort was not in question. Kerr looks better every time I see him and we really need to capitalize on having such a solid defender and find a way to build around him. Goss looked good in parts but I don't think he has done enough to suggest we would offer him a contract for the sort of money he would command. Craig was industrious enough and he can still do a job for us next season - his penalty was soft which is unlike him.

Kennedy looks to have lost a wee bit of spark but it's been a long season and he has been our shinning light in effort and class and he probably needs a break. MOH looks a shadow of the player he was on his past times with us - I hope we aren't paying him huge money!

I continually beat the drum for young Kane and do so again he works tirelessly and bullies defenders but he needs a sharp finisher around him to share to the workload and we don't seem to be brave enough to employ that strategy.

I felt a bit sorry for Zander - he is a classy keeper and deserves better support from our defense.

Worrying form I agree and we will see how far we have fallen on Wednesday - the Dundee defense are as tight as a pair of fishnet panties and if they turn us over we better get ready to be involved a in a real relegation fight next year.

1 hour ago, 541ntees said:

tidy? Dunne hit the ball 15 yards in front of him and was still able to stroll fwd inside our half. thats unforgivable

Dunne run in to the opening in front of him that's fair enough but the quality of the lay off and finish was "tidy" and that can't be disputed.