St.Johnstone V Dundee - Wednesday 3rd April

SaintJet

Good open game and Saints thoroughly deserved the win - unlucky to see the one chalked off for offside and although we got let off thanks to Miller passing instead of shooting we controlled the game well. Hendry was excellent - good goal and his link up play with Kane was great to see.

Kennedy was outstanding and scored a cracking goal. Mikey looked a lot sharper while Callachan continues to improve - only criticism I may have of him is that he can get caught too far forwards at times and struggles to get back.

As for Dundee - they're going down.

18 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Good open game and Saints thoroughly deserved the win - unlucky to see the one chalked off for offside and although we got let off thanks to Miller passing instead of shooting we controlled the game well. Hendry was excellent - good goal and his link up play with Kane was great to see.

Kennedy was outstanding and scored a cracking goal. Mikey looked a lot sharper while Callachan continues to improve - only criticism I may have of him is that he can get caught too far forwards at times and struggles to get back.

As for Dundee - they're going down.

Agree with pretty much all of that temple. Ross Callachan is really improving. Last two home games he had been great. Can pass, tackle and is far more an athlete than Muzz. Good performances from all tonight but Ross a close second behind Kennedy for me.

Whilst far from perfect, it was a much better performance. Playing the 4-4-2 may have made us more open, but we looked much more threatening going forward.

Matty had a great game. Kerr continues to impress and Zander pulled off two very important saves early on. Also though Joe looked much more like his old self.

As a team I think we always looks better on the ball when Davidson isn't playing- Callachan is a better option for me. He picks a pass better and still gives us an energy. At times he may end up out of position (due to his fantastic workrate), but he must be a handful to play against. He also isn't scared to look for the ball and some of his runs did/could of caused Dundee problems. In the last 15 minutes or so his passing got a bit scrappy but he was knackered. Hopefully a wee run consistent in the team until the end of the season.

As I've said before on another thread I don't think we are a million miles away from having a very decent side. If Dundee were to go down Id be more than happy if Wright tried to get McGowan again. He's the sort of player opposition love to hate, but he can play. Picks a pass well and never gives up. Could see him playing deeper for us, although he ended up further forward for Dundee trying to create something for them.

Edited by SlickDT

I enjoyed the game on Saints TV last night. I realise you sometimes do not see the big picture.

We got a clean sheet and we attacked more which to me were positives.

I thought the first goal was a good team goal. It started with moving the ball quickly up the park with good movement off and on the ball. O’Halloran comes off the wing to create room for Foster. Callachan finds him in plenty of space, he puts in a wonderful cross and Hendry scores with a tremendous finish.

The second by contrast was a brilliant solo effort by my man of the match Kennedy,

Yes they had a few chances but I thought the game benefited from both teams attacking.

The goalkeeper Zander and his back 4 were good but sometimes got exposed on the counter. Callachan and Craig were solid in the middle. One slight observation about Liam, he occasionally puts us under pressure when we have attacking set pieces by not finding a Saints player with his cross. One of their counter opportunities is an example of this.

Kennedy and O’Halloran; Calum Davidson was the co-commentator last night and he summed their performances as a very good shift defensively supporting the back 4 but Kennedy has the balance right, O’Halloran at this moment in time too defensively minded. (Kennedy was his man of the match)

Up front Hendry scored a great goal and has a lot of potential. Having watched Kane this year; his work rate is unquestionable but as a striker he needs more goals missed a few chances and should never have been caught offside for this goal that did not count.

1 hour ago, SlickDT said:

.As I've said before on another thread I don't think we are a million miles away from having a very decent side. If Dundee were to go down Id be more than happy if Wright tried to get McGowan again. He's the sort of player opposition love to hate, but he can play. Picks a pass well and never gives up. Could see him playing deeper for us, although he ended up further forward for Dundee trying to create something for them.

Dundee fans say otherwise about McGowan this season. I’ve read a lot of their posts recently on various forums. They’ve watched him all season and would laugh at what you’ve said about him.

If Tommy’ll sign him, I’ll despair.

1 hour ago, andrew said:

Dundee fans say otherwise about McGowan this season. I’ve read a lot of their posts recently on various forums. They’ve watched him all season and would laugh at what you’ve said about him.

If Tommy’ll sign him, I’ll despair.

I could well be wrong, I'm just going off seeing him against ourselves and occasional TV game this season. He put in a real shift last night and was the only player I really saw "dig in" for them last night. I think we could do alot worse- my take on the limited times I've seen him is that he is trying to atleast force things surrounded by weaker players. Over the years I've heard rival fans slag players off that we've signed and they've turned out to be great players for us. As I said I think he would suit a deeper role.

51 minutes ago, cristo said:

I wasn't there but have just seen the highlights. That goal from Hendry was quality of the highest order, what an absolute peach of a finish. 

That is what I thought as well but on one of the replays it almost looks like he scuffs it into the ground?  That is what the commentator on the BBC alluded to anyway.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

That is what I thought as well but on one of the replays it almost looks like he scuffs it into the ground?  That is what the commentator on the BBC alluded to anyway.

48 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Thought that myself at first, but it was actually either a superb feathered wee dink or a fluffed shot. It honestly looked like the first.

I've just watched it again about 12 times. The first replay shows him just taking it in his stride and he was only looking in one direction, the one where the ball ended up. Don't think there was any fluffing or scuffing going on there, just a very sweet finish.

That was a fine display and we could have won more convincingly. The one thing I noticed about our best performance for months was the real tempo we were playing at and it suited Kennedy and MOH to a tee. Defense looked pretty solid even if we got caught a couple of times with some sloppy passing. Callaghan was outstanding too. 

Kane again led the line with authority and great to see Hendry involved even if he was short of match practice.

Two exceptional game changing saves from Zander the best goal keeper in Scotland by a country mile.

PLEASE....... barring injury can we start with this team on Saturday?

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

That was a fine display and we could have won more convincingly. The one thing I noticed about our best performance for months was the real tempo we were playing at and it suited Kennedy and MOH to a tee. Defense looked pretty solid even if we got caught a couple of times with some sloppy passing. Callaghan was outstanding too. 

Kane again led the line with authority and great to see Hendry involved even if he was short of match practice.

Two exceptional game changing saves from Zander the best goal keeper in Scotland by a country mile.

PLEASE....... barring injury can we start with this team on Saturday?

We wish. There is no chance.It will be back to negative stuff.

I think you could see that the players were comfortable & looked like they enjoyed playing the system. In fact I think both fullbacks were more attacking in that formation than when they were playing as wingbacks in back 5.

4 hours ago, cristo said:

I've just watched it again about 12 times. The first replay shows him just taking it in his stride and he was only looking in one direction, the one where the ball ended up. Don't think there was any fluffing or scuffing going on there, just a very sweet finish.

I was in the main stand in line with Foster when he it the ball in. My thoughts are the time were that both both the finish and the assist were fantastic. I don't think the quality of the ball in comes across on the telly. The angle of the finish is really impressive. 

Goal of the night would have been Kennedy's shot immediately before his goal, keeper did very well there. 

Kane's swing-and-a-miss when he was totally unmarked in the box was horrific though. The sitters that Watt and him have missed this year have been ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I was in the main stand in line with Foster when he it the ball in. My thoughts are the time were that both both the finish and the assist were fantastic. I don't think the quality of the ball in comes across on the telly. The angle of the finish is really impressive. 

Goal of the night would have been Kennedy's shot immediately before his goal, keeper did very well there. 

Kane's swing-and-a-miss when he was totally unmarked in the box was horrific though. The sitters that Watt and him have missed this year have been ridiculous. 

Have to agree with you Foster is master of the perfect weighted cross, if only we had a decent (tall) centre forward to get on the end of them...

Hendry is keen as mustard, should definitely get a run until the end of the season. 

Foster in my opinion doesn’t get enough credit, I know sometimes it looks like he is playing with his baffies on, but he is a winner... plus I like the fact that you never know when he’s going to fall out with someone ... adds to the edge of watching Saints ;-)