The zombie view (An outsider looking in )

Debate not slag off

Many off you will probably will be wondering why a zombie is commenting on the issue of  st johnstone and the season they are having, some say its an OK season some say terrible  ,but most say the football is definitely not good .But how will the zombie know how we play i hear you say ,well i go to the reserve games and i am on this site a lot  and yes i have to much time on my hands .

i went to my first saints game in 1978 or it could have been my first rangers game as it was the 3-3 draw in the cup ,over the years i went to many a saints game the most memorable and defo in my all time top 5 games of my life i attended was the saints v airdrie ,what a day the sun blazing a full house end to end football and of course roddy grant ,but my first love was always and still is rangers ,but as someone brought up in Perth and with a lad who is full time at the club and two other boys who support the club id like to give my view ,not because of all those things but because i am fascinated with the why and the what .you are all very welcome to comment on this but please do not direct any cheek towards myself ,Perth is a small place and saints crowds are smaller so it wont be hard to find you ,bite you and turn you into one of the people .

NUMBER 1     Why is there so many different levels of exceptions between supporters and themselves and a totally different one for the club who budgets for the number 10 slot ???

you have had many top six finishes and a cup final and Europe ,this was not a fluke anything less should be deemed a failure .

NUMBER 2   Why is the football so bad ??

the tactics ,the players themselves ,the mental attitude ,i cant answer that as i do not watch the first team play 

NUMBER 3   Why did he want new players in January and why them ones ???

NUMBER 4   why did the club not blend in youth if they were save from relegation ???

NUMBER 5  why do the club not promote the youths and 18s like other clubs do ???

NUMBER 6 Why are so many people not going to the games.???

NUMBER 7  Why is Tommy untouchable to some just now and not to others .

Now for the WHAT ,what is your answers ,what do you want for your money ,what is the future for your club .what would you do if you were in charge ,what if you were relegated next season .

ill give comments if i see i can .:laugh:    

7 is easy. Sevco sack managers if they fail to in a major trophy for about 20 minutes, for understandable reasons. Tommy won us our only ever major trophy (plus Euro runs, top six finishes). He could probably shag the chairman’s wife at half time on the centre spot with that day’s takings in his back pocket and keep his job. He is a God.

Some younger fans might have only known relative success at Saints and have high expectations. Those of us who have longer memories of dark, seemingly endless bottom division days however are more patient. Anyone calling for a change should consider who the hell we could get for the same money - probably much less in reality - who would do a better job. 

Some fair questions.... Here's my opinions for what they are worth.

1. I think any club has the right to aim higher than their station and so do the fans, ultimately we have achieved fantastic success for a club with our budget over the past ten seasons and it can be easy to forget that the tip six is not a god-given right. At the same time this season it looks like our chairman has fully backed the gaffer in the market. We had a very good summer and winter window and added some real quality names. We also have one of the most promising youngsters I've ever seen in a Saints top... Add it all together and I must say I thought we would surprise everyone and comfortably get into the top six.

2. Tommy tends to be results driven. His safety first mentality has served him very well in the past and the truth is will most likely always get him enough points to pass the 10th or above minimum target. I believe a HUGE aspect of our poorer play is the fact he insists on playing a central midfielder that is poor when we are in possession (many totally disagree with me and see the major benefits that Murray Davidson can bring to the side). I'd argue the biggest loss to our side over the last couple seasons has been Chris Millar- his ability to take a ball in tight situations and help our defenders make a simple pass was a huge part of our game. There is certain players Tommy really trusts and I believe they let him down at times with poor performances.

3. MOH is a player he has worked with before and is capable (when fit) of being a very good option for us upfront or on the wing. He has pace and if he can reproduce old form will be a major addition.

Goss was an attempt at bringing in a player that can retain possession and pick a pass. He may well be that player but is in and out the side and it's hard to tell if he is a good addition for the long term.

Bell was a back-up signing.

4. If a young player proves he is up to the task Tommy will play them. Jason Kerr and Stevie May are the prime example of that. I do believe Liam Gordon is ready to play every week and with Joe's form I'd like to see that happen starting Wednesday. Give him a chance to stake his claim for next season as our starting CB. I don't watch the reserves but from what I hear no one else seems to be better than what we already have. We have quite a large squad with established pros- there is always alternate options.

5. Maybe they ain't good enough or maybe Tommy views it as too much of a risk.

6. 101 reasons. Ultimately Perth has proven time after time they will only turn up on glory days- the rest of the time the majority have other things they want to do with their time. I honestly believe a saints team playing free flowing football and getting in amongst the European places would still not see the attendance go up much.

7. Just the way it is.... I personally wouldn't be calling for his head unless we were relegated. I can't think of a single name that I would want to replace him that I 100% believe would be better than what we have. I have family that are Charlton fans and attended games when they were calling for Alan Curbishleys head..... They needed to take the next step up.... They got rid and we all know what happened there. I try not to let a run of results turn my opinion one way or the other- I prefer to take a longer term view. The squad we have is decent, it just needs rebalanced a little in the summer.

NUMBER 1     The club budgets for bottom slot thus anything greater than that is a bonus. Prudent financial management and nothing more. 

NUMBER 2   If you knew the answer to that you would be a manager and not reading the forum. 

NUMBER 3   Always look to improve and the players that they brought in looked good, we also had the unfortunate injury to probably our best player in the season so far. 

NUMBER 4   They were fighting for top 6 taht was not the time to bring in kids

NUMBER 5  The club has a fairly good set up but it is possible taht they dont think there are that many taht are promotable. Having watched the reserves I didnt see many that I thought could play in the team now.

NUMBER 6 Costs times and a general lack of support from the community.

NUMBER 7  Football is all about opinions dont think there is a team in the country that has a set of fans that are not split over their managers capabilities. 

You are obviously watching a lot of games as a dad and to be fair that does cloud your judgement. The best judge of the players are there coaches who will see the under 18 players daily and see how they compare with the first team. Think only 1% of all youth players do make it in pro football.

If we dont win the league.  You know the philosophy, sack the board :)

Crowds = people cant afford these luxuries. Need to pay the Sky, Netflix, mobile phone bills, get that takeaway etc.  Its all priorities.

Football was exceptional first half of season (we all seem to have forgotten this), shite second half.  That's the inconsistency that prevents us winning the league.

Youth will get a chance depending on manager. When things go well the youth question never is raised.  If the youth are good enough they will get a chance.

As for expectations I expect us to be challenging for the title. Win a cup or 2.  The club however feed bullshit into the media of just surviving, but the real desires remain tight lipped, but pretty obvious this season was to get into top6. 

Is the manager worthy of the sack, no. We just fell short.  Not a terrible season after seeing some legends depart.  Opportunity to get a few wins before the season is finished...  

Think we have a few knee jerk reactions.. weve had a very tough run of fixtures and clearly knocked our mojo. Just gotta look at the English Championship teams, some huge teams forever changing managers without any difference.  Be careful what we wish for, not that the club woukd listen to fans anyway.

7 hours ago, mainstand said:

NUMBER 1     The club budgets for bottom slot thus anything greater than that is a bonus. Prudent financial management and nothing more. 

NUMBER 2   If you knew the answer to that you would be a manager and not reading the forum. 

NUMBER 3   Always look to improve and the players that they brought in looked good, we also had the unfortunate injury to probably our best player in the season so far. 

NUMBER 4   They were fighting for top 6 taht was not the time to bring in kids

NUMBER 5  The club has a fairly good set up but it is possible taht they dont think there are that many taht are promotable. Having watched the reserves I didnt see many that I thought could play in the team now.

NUMBER 6 Costs times and a general lack of support from the community.

NUMBER 7  Football is all about opinions dont think there is a team in the country that has a set of fans that are not split over their managers capabilities. 

You are obviously watching a lot of games as a dad and to be fair that does cloud your judgement. The best judge of the players are there coaches who will see the under 18 players daily and see how they compare with the first team. Think only 1% of all youth players do make it in pro football.

i do watch a lot of games as a dad ,but i also watch them as an x coach and manager as i was involved with youth football for 16 years ,if you want  a first year joiner to learn how to make a table ,you teach them and if they have a bit of a talent you give them a chance to see how they cope just like most jobs in life so why is football different ,i personally dont think nortcott should be on the bench ,but im well chuffed for him ,and thats not a jealous dad speaking thats an x coach who watches all the games at 18s and most reserve games ,my lad was on the bench for the 20s for 6 months getting on once for 45 mins ,this season for reserves hes started twice and came on as a sub ,he says its a big step up and admits he found it difficult .but like everything  the more you play the better you get .

also when i say promote the youth i meant match reports, player bios, web page, twitter, games on saints tv as all 18 games are filmed this would defo give fans a better understanding of the 18s are doing ,thanks all for the response and as im writing this saints are 1 0 up with callum hendry scoring ,i like him hes a good player 

On 4/5/2019 at 10:47 AM, blueheaven said:

Sevcozombie, I have to ask - over the years would you say you've been to more Saints than Rangers games?

nope was a rangers season ticket holder for many years ,i gave it up to form jeanfield 2001 team for my lad and his mates and have just went to youth games ever since 

21 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

nope was a rangers season ticket holder for many years ,i gave it up to form jeanfield 2001 team for my lad and his mates and have just went to youth games ever since 

Hopefully these guys get a game with lower leagues or juniors & don't get disheartened.

I am sure those that are good enough will rise again.

14 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Hopefully these guys get a game with lower leagues or juniors & don't get disheartened.

I am sure those that are good enough will rise again.

They simply need to look at Livingston to see what believing in yourself can achieve. Scott Pitman was playing Junior football before signing for them, now almost has 100 appearances and a top flight regular.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

They simply need to look at Livingston to see what believing in yourself can achieve. Scott Pitman was playing Junior football before signing for them, now almost has 100 appearances and a top flight regular.

this is true ,tell me though what are saints going to do without a reserve team and all these players they have and how do u keep match fit if u dont play on a sat 

32 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

this is true ,tell me though what are saints going to do without a reserve team and all these players they have and how do u keep match fit if u dont play on a sat 

I dont know what's happening with the reserve team and whether they're getting rid of it.

I like us promoting our own youngsters and think it makes financial sense as most of our transfer profits seem to be that type of player (Davidson, May, Kerr in future), but I've never actually seen all the financial figures.

70% of youngsters generally wont make the grade though, you'll rarely find more than one or two in every "batch" who'll become key player. I dont think people should over react when a group doesn't have any player promoted.