RandomGuy

Robert Campbell

Recommended Posts

I voted for him in the HoF nominations as well. I had never put two and two together regarding the Campbell Suite. I possibly thought it was named after one of the directors! 

That's a nice touch but he should have been the second man into the Hall of Fame and his omission to date reflects badly on Saints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottMann said:

I thought it was named after the late Ally Campbell, the Fair City Amusements guy that was a key guy in the early days with Geoff.

Yeah, that's who I was thinking of. Not to dismiss his contribution but would be delighted if it was indeed Robert Campbell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Yeah, that's who I was thinking of. Not to dismiss his contribution but would be delighted if it was indeed Robert Campbell. 

The "Significant Saints" section on the official website confirms the Campbell Suite is named after Robert Campbell.

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/significant-saints

"What Robert Campbell would make of McDiarmid Park, the modern game and the communication medium that is the internet, we can only surmise.  However, one thing is for sure – he, more than anyone, deserves his place in the history section of this website and he would no doubt be pleased that the Campbell Suite within the current stadium is named in his honour."

 

Edited by RandomGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 10:51 AM, ScottMann said:

I thought it was named after the late Ally Campbell, the Fair City Amusements guy that was a key guy in the early days with Geoff.

Ally Campbell is still with us and very much alive and kicking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SconeSaintees said:

Ally Campbell is still with us and very much alive and kicking

I'm glad to hear that! I've been told on more than one occasion by different people that he'd died after illness quite a few years ago. How strange. Why did he stop his involvement with Saints?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottMann said:

I'm glad to hear that! I've been told on more than one occasion by different people that he'd died after illness quite a few years ago. How strange. Why did he stop his involvement with Saints?

Nope, my sister got Xmas card from him and his wife, My understand is he stepped down to concentrate on his business interests

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SconeSaintees said:

Nope, my sister got Xmas card from him and his wife, My understand is he stepped down to concentrate on his business interests

Was he ever seriously ill or is the story just completely wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

Was he ever seriously ill or is the story just completely wrong?

No not to my knowledge always been a really fit guy, Dave Sidey on the other hand who was on the board at the same time unfortunately passed away last year, so maybe that is who you are thinking of ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Was that not Dave Sidey ?.

46 minutes ago, SconeSaintees said:

No not to my knowledge always been a really fit guy, Dave Sidey on the other hand who was on the board at the same time unfortunately passed away last year, so maybe that is who you are thinking of ??

11 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Could it be that someone is getting their Allys' and Tommy's mixed up?

It's obviously been crossed wires somewhere along the line anyway. The story's come up when the conversation's been about the early days of Geoff's time and how far we've come. Delighted it's wrong and thanks for putting me right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now