St.Johnstone V Livingston Saturday 4th May

SaintJet

2 minutes ago, Dave Ferg said:

Our goal was indeed a thing of beauty Mike and wouldn't have been out of place at the start of the season. Started from the back with Jason who looks the part striding forward. In fairness not all of his passes came off but its great seeing him having the confidence to do that. Neat left footed flick from Foster in the lead up to it too! Their goal was just ridiculous and the boy that scored it was in disbelief that it had gone in. It was a fantastic strike and it looked like Zander was unsighted due to players in front of him. 

Not a game to remember but 2 good goals.

We also had numerous chances to kill it and o’halleron was better today running at them and thought Murray had a good game. But good strike or not or unsighted to me lack of concentration from Clark should never be beaten by a strike from that distance and effectively cost us a win.

1 hour ago, crieffsaintandy said:

We also had numerous chances to kill it and o’halleron was better today running at them and thought Murray had a good game. But good strike or not or unsighted to me lack of concentration from Clark should never be beaten by a strike from that distance and effectively cost us a win.

See my previous post.

I was happy when I saw us line up 4:4:2 with Kane and O'Halloran up front; their pace in the first few minutes caused them a lot of problems. Then we scored and I am now blaming Tommy we went to a 4:5:1 with MOH out wide. Why O Why does he have to be so negative when we get the lead. As others have said, we should have kept the same formation and the same tactics. He has done this many times this season. In my opinion it all began after we were beaten 5v0 with Celtic in February. Since then we have had 3 wins Home once to St Mirren and Home twice to Dundee. The two bottom or worse teams in the league. Also our last away win was in December and you have guessed it away to Dundee the worse team in the league.

We never had this negativity before. We certainly did not do it when McLean and May were up front, he kept the 2 strikers on and continued to go for goals. I am clutching at straws. Could it be down to losing Callum Davidison on the side line was he attack minded or a dissenting voice in Tommy's ear.. Alex Clelland and Alan Maybury both were full backs, Tommy a goal keeper is this where the defend defend mentality now comes from.

As I said I am searching for an answer and cannot find out why we have become so negative in our formations and tactics at the start of some games and almost always when we take the lead. 

Two games left. Motherwell at home the big one, if we do the same I can see us getting a bit of a drubbing. 

Guest ScottMann
1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

We never had this negativity before. We certainly did not do it when McLean and May were up front, he kept the 2 strikers on and continued to go for goals. I am clutching at straws. Could it be down to losing Callum Davidison on the side line was he attack minded or a dissenting voice in Tommy's ear.. Alex Clelland and Alan Maybury both were full backs, Tommy a goal keeper is this where the defend defend mentality now comes from.

Agree about the negativity and yesterday was another sore watch but don't forget Callum was a full back too. We also weren't exactly knocking in tree or four every game he was here either. It's the individual's mindset that matters not their former playing position. 

21 minutes ago, ScottMann said:

Agree about the negativity and yesterday was another sore watch but don't forget Callum was a full back too. We also weren't exactly knocking in tree or four every game he was here either. It's the individual's mindset that matters not their former playing position. 

Yes Callum was a full back too but his philosophy may have been different. Just trying to understand our negative tactics. As for goals!

……..…...Goals for…….Goals against

2018/19……38……………50 (Forecast on average for season so far)

2017/18……42……………53

2016/17……50……………46

2015/16……58……………55

Points may be similar but goals scored are sadly lacking and falling each year. 2015/16 may have been an exceptional year but this season we will be about 20 short

Edited by Johnny B

Guest ScottMann
35 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Yes Callum was a full back too but his philosophy may have been different.

Possibly, but the playing position becomes irrelevant. I'm actually sitting watching MOTD and the ex-goalkeeper managed Wolves are again great to watch while checking Wiki to confirm that Alex Totten was a defender and see he's listed on there as a full back! 

2 hours ago, ScottMann said:

Possibly, but the playing position becomes irrelevant. I'm actually sitting watching MOTD and the ex-goalkeeper managed Wolves are again great to watch while checking Wiki to confirm that Alex Totten was a defender and see he's listed on there as a full back! 

You are right the playing position becomes irrelevant, as I said I was clutching at straws by saying defenders have defensive mind set. But it may be true of some.