Stjohnstone v Motherwell 11 th may

slf

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Statistically, our most creative players in terms of "chances created" over the past two seasons has been Ricky Foster, with Scott Tanser just behind...

I'm talking about actual assists. Even this season with Tommy trying to play him deeper and central he's still our most assists from midfield. Check the stats sites.

Really impressive performance which should have been 4 or 5. No failures today and Murray Davidson was absolutely immense. He has been seen walking home after games. How he has the energy to do that beats me.

Did Danny come over to the East Stand at the end to bid farewell?

14 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Motherwell fans in bottom corner, made a lot of noise first half, mainly against their own Rangers bound player, let off a smoke bomb and then with their team only 1-0 down, almost all left at half time. 

Not sure I get that.

I  do .i get it but am no putting it on here.

fuqers were humming with the smoke bomb smell

1 minute ago, Dave Ferg said:

Really impressive performance which should have been 4 or 5. No failures today and Murray Davidson was absolutely immense. He has been seen walking home after games. How he has the energy to do that beats me.

Did Danny come over to the East Stand at the end to bid farewell?

Agree with Ye.

Aye Danny did go over couldnae tell if it were a farewell though.how do Ye work that out.

27 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Motherwell fans in bottom corner, made a lot of noise first half, mainly against their own Rangers bound player, let off a smoke bomb and then with their team only 1-0 down, almost all left at half time. 

Not sure I get that.

I get booing a Sevco bound player.

Great result.  Yet I'm hard to please as thought 4-0 was about the difference between the sides.

Kane got the better of a 'donkey of a defender' , who he outmusceled before being felled to result in the penalty award, which Tanser netted superbly.

I have been critical of Muzz in previous games (last week excluded) for standing around in no mans land & not getting involved in the play, but today he was sensational , winning challenges on the ground , in the air and everywhere in between, before bursting forward with the ball.

Capped his display with a goal , that had me asking, where did he appear from.?

Yes was best man on the pitch by the proverbial mile.

No failures today, big cheer near the end when the 'Well man looked favourite to get a shot away when racing into the box, only for Gordon to dispossess him and kick the ball for a throw in.

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Great result.  Yet I'm hard to please as thought 4-0 was about the difference between the sides.

Kane got the better of a 'donkey of a defender' , who he outmusceled before being felled to result in the penalty award, which Tanser netted superbly.

I have been critical of Muzz in previous games (last week excluded) for standing around in no mans land & not getting involved in the play, but today he was sensational , winning challenges on the ground , in the air and everywhere in between, before bursting forward with the ball.

No failures today, big cheer near the end when the 'Well man looked favourite to get a shot away when racing into the box, only for Gordon to dispossess him and kick the ball for a throw in.

I have said since January that Gordon should be in the team. I think if Tommy hadn't been so loyal to Joe we may have been in top 6.

By the way compare how Saints fans reacted to saying bye to Joe & how Motherwell fans reacted to a player who is bringing them in good money & who we may never see again.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I have said since January that Gordon should be in the team. I think if Tommy hadn't been so loyal to Joe we may have been in top 6.

By the way compare how Saints fans reacted to saying bye to Joe & how Motherwell fans reacted to a player who is bringing them in good money & who we may never see again.

Nail on the head with the first point, defence looks far more solid without him, Brilliant from Tommy, joe gets ready then is told to sit down at 85 minutes not going on, then he gets 3 minutes of injury time at fullback when it is too late for him to make any balls up.

personally wouldn’t have bothered after he led us on a merry dance since Xmas and big part of us being in the bottom six, thanks for your efforts Joe, but not as big a loss as many believe.

Davidson was immense today.

14 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Nail on the head with the first point, defence looks far more solid without him, Brilliant from Tommy, joe gets ready then is told to sit down at 85 minutes not going on, then he gets 3 minutes of injury time at fullback when it is too late for him to make any balls up.

personally wouldn’t have bothered after he led us on a merry dance since Xmas and big part of us being in the bottom six, thanks for your efforts Joe, but not as big a loss as many believe.

Davidson was immense today.

Yeah. Put him at right back where he couldn't cause a problem.

Second home game in a row where Murray has been the stand out player. He was fantastic yesterday.

I've said many times I believe he has left us very open in the middle when playing in a central two, I also think he regularly doesn't help players out by making space for a pass to take pressure off them, but yesterday he did all those things. He looked for the ball, played some very neat passes and regularly came looking for the ball. He also won the majority of his battles in the air and was winning second balls regularly to regain possession. Seemed to be more effective moving forward as well. If he can play like this when we are playing against superior teams with midfielders that keep the ball on the deck then I'll happily eat my words.

I think the centre-back pairing have made it very obvious Tommy doesn't need to go and find an expensive centre back. They were fantastic and for their age and how little they've played first team football looked very composed. If we can convince Ando to come back and play back-up (with the regular game time that will come with injuries and suspensions) we would be pretty well covered in that department and Joe's loss won't be near as hard to deal with.

Thought Tanser had a good game, as did MOH who seems to be coming on to his game. Some neat play from Craig who seemed to be allowed control the game at points with limited opposition.

Looking more and more like the Swanson move was a waste of money- never really adds much when he comes on and just generally looks fed up at the end of every game.

Motherwell were alot poorer than I expected, was an easy three points with lots of positives for next season. A few tweaks here and there and we could have a good season.

48 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

If he can play like this when we are playing against superior teams with midfielders that keep the ball on the deck then I'll happily eat my words.

Agree with all your post, but I would say that Muzz's has been poor against both top and bottom teams. I think that like with the rest of the team something 'went wrong' after the break. That could well have been the unsettling inclusion of Sean Goss, the effect of the run of OF games, experiments with a back 3/5, losing Drey Wright or whatever but the 'failure' against the top 5/6 teams has been a feature of the season. Other than a good away win against Aberdeen, a couple of good performances against Hibs, and an away against Rangers, we've had our arse handed to us by them. Outside of the old firm I've been most disappointed with how we've played against Kimarnock (sitting too deep and letting Dicker and Power dictate the middle) and Hearts (just gutless for some reason). Either we're giving these teams too much respect or it's simply that we've not been able to make the step up in the way that Killie have done. 

Good point about the high balls. I noticed Kane and MOH pressed high and market the full-backs until the second goal, so their keeper didn't have much option other than to kick. I also think that we went long ball a bit too often. 

I honestly don't think that with a couple of key summer signings, outside of Celtic we should be expecting to pick up 4 or more points against each of the top 6 next year. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Edit : aye, bin Swanson please, he's had more than enough chances

Really enjoyed yesterday best performance for a while. Very impressed these last few weeks with the defence looks very settled and Liam and Jason are both very mature. Muzz appears to be performing back at his best was immense yesterday. Mikey is also beginning to get confidence and sharpness back had a good game yesterday. And was delighted for Kane did really well to win the pen and involved in build up for second too. Pleased someone finally listened to me about Tanser taking free kicks and pens seems to be paying off with 2 goals in a matter of weeks. Just need him on corners now as Liam does have a very frustrating habit of floating them straight to the keeper.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:44 PM, crieffsaintandy said:

Just curious, but how has he lead us on a merry dance? Everything I've read about the situation has suggested he's been completely open about his wage demands since day 1 of the contract negotiation. If he wants to ask for more money than Saints (or seemingly any other club) are willing to offer, that's his prerogative.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

According to sportsound kanes was not a penalty, but the one wae Mchugh was

12 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

According to sportsound kanes was not a penalty, but the one wae Mchugh was

Aye right.  Thomson said Kane dived but what was he supposed to do?  The Motherwell guy clearly pushes him, he is right on top of Kane and their legs are tangled, no way he could have stayed on his feet.

The penalty itself was a bit concerning.  It looked from the Ormond end of the east stand that it only just eluded the keeper.  When you see it on TV Tanser telegraphs where he is going to shoot but at least he gives it plenty of welly.  A bit more work needed before we can have confidence that we will improve our poor penalty success this season.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:44 PM, crieffsaintandy said:

Brilliant from Tommy, joe gets ready then is told to sit down at 85 minutes not going on, then he gets 3 minutes of injury time at fullback when it is too late for him to make any balls up.

I thought Joe was coming on slightly earlier because Jason was limping around for a minute.

51 minutes ago, south inch said:

Aye right.  Thomson said Kane dived but what was he supposed to do?  The Motherwell guy clearly pushes him, he is right on top of Kane and their legs are tangled, no way he could have stayed on his feet.

The penalty itself was a bit concerning.  It looked from the Ormond end of the east stand that it only just eluded the keeper.  When you see it on TV Tanser telegraphs where he is going to shoot but at least he gives it plenty of welly.  A bit more work needed before we can have confidence that we will improve our poor penalty success this season.

They make you laugh want to make there minds up, said previously if they feel a touch in the box then they are entitled to go down, everybody else bar Saints.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Just curious, but how has he lead us on a merry dance? Everything I've read about the situation has suggested he's been completely open about his wage demands since day 1 of the contract negotiation. If he wants to ask for more money than Saints (or seemingly any other club) are willing to offer, that's his prerogative.

I thought he was giving it big licks about staying before xmas,encouraging others this was the place to be etc, a lot if them signed he didn't, again that's his prerogative and what he feels he is worth is up to him, but I feel he has a bit off an over inflated opinion of himself and isn't as good as he thinks he is or others on here think he is, but again that's my opinion and never have bought into the hype, Gordon and Kerr are far better and should have been in long before now, but again I dont pick the team.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:49 PM, Cagey said:

Yeah. Put him at right back where he couldn't cause a problem.

That is harsh to say the least. Joe has been far from disaster with saints. As for playing at right back of course that was going to be the position why would you change the central partnership.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:44 PM, crieffsaintandy said:

The kit man got a blast at going too quick with the change. Tommy is not one for sentiment so it says a lot about how much he thinks of Joe that he put him on at all. 

47 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

I thought he was giving it big licks about staying before xmas,encouraging others this was the place to be etc, a lot if them signed he didn't, again that's his prerogative and what he feels he is worth is up to him, but I feel he has a bit off an over inflated opinion of himself and isn't as good as he thinks he is or others on here think he is, but again that's my opinion and never have bought into the hype, Gordon and Kerr are far better and should have been in long before now, but again I dont pick the team.

That is how it was. Can't blame anyone for trying to get a better deal from us or Aberdeen but you have to know when to stop the bluff.

Livi are needing defenders so he might get a deal there. Hopefully Tommy doesn't havre him back when he gets a call in July.