Hamilton v St Johnstone 18 May 2019

sleepless

Didn't expect any other outcome.  We secured 7th last week, could see the players were happy with this.

Accies fighting for their life at home v us, was always in favour of a home win.  How they continue to be top league is incredible achievement.

A score line I'm not bothered about.

15 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Time for a clear out... 

i like all of the following players but the dynamic in the dressing room and on the pitch just isn’t working

Easton, Foster, Wotherspoon, Swanson, Kane....

Yes, history has proven that ripping a team that finished 7th, with more points than 6th, apart, leads to success.

In the past three seasons we've lost Mannus, Mackay, Wright, Millar, MacLean and May. Arguably lost Easton and Anderson aswell.

Are folk expecting us to instantly replace players of that quality, and influence, in one window? Itll take years to rebuild the squad from that, as a steady process is always the best option to that. Lowers the risk of failure.

Having a core of players who've been here for years, and have plenty of experience of the club, has more of an impact than people seem to realise.

Edited by RandomGuy

9 hours ago, sevcozombie2 said:

Really, look all over Europe with kids in their early twentys who are priced in their millions, and what would you know about my lad, I assume by ur reply that ur talking about him even though I never said it was him, but that is the exact  type of player he is most assists last 3 seasons, see that's what's wrong with football u give a opinion and ur wrong, I'm ****ing over the moon he's away, why would he want to play for a team who's supporters have an attitude like yours 

9 hours ago, sevcozombie2 said:

Really, look all over Europe with kids in their early twentys who are priced in their millions, and what would you know about my lad, I assume by ur reply that ur talking about him even though I never said it was him, but that is the exact  type of player he is most assists last 3 seasons, see that's what's wrong with football u give a opinion and ur wrong, I'm ****ing over the moon he's away, why would he want to play for a team who's supporters have an attitude like yours 

Your are correct I have never seen him play only thing I’m basing it on is if your lad or others have been released it’s clear saints don’t think they are good enough, whether they are right or wrong who knows it’s all about opinions. I totally agree Scottish football seem to have this attitude about age compared to a lot of countries and personally my lad was on the bench for a lower league two team a few times but never got the chance as always went with the more experienced pro type when I felt they could take the chance with him, but they never trusted him. Nothing better than seeing youngsters coming through the ranks and saints are crying out for a creative player in the middle, my point was they are going to have to be exceptional at that age to be the answer to a mid table spfl team, no slight on your lad at all and I’m sure he will regroup and go on and have a good career in football.

33 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Your are correct I have never seen him play only thing I’m basing it on is if your lad or others have been released it’s clear saints don’t think they are good enough, whether they are right or wrong who knows it’s all about opinions. I totally agree Scottish football seem to have this attitude about age compared to a lot of countries and personally my lad was on the bench for a lower league two team a few times but never got the chance as always went with the more experienced pro type when I felt they could take the chance with him, but they never trusted him. Nothing better than seeing youngsters coming through the ranks and saints are crying out for a creative player in the middle, my point was they are going to have to be exceptional at that age to be the answer to a mid table spfl team, no slight on your lad at all and I’m sure he will regroup and go on and have a good career in football.

Apologies friend was pissed when I read it, did u see how many clubs played 16 17 year olds yesterday from the start, a lot of the boys realesd were told they'd be kept on if they had kept the reserves,to ur point though how many teams have a number 10 who can do what u would like most games, unfortunately its coached out of them to a degree 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

How many goals, or assists, did he score for the youths/reserves this season?

Genuine question, there doesnt seem to be stats anywhere.

This season Hamilton and Robertson both ended up on 23 each, my lad assisted on more than half of them, think he got 8 this season, the formation was changed so we could play with two strikers, but Robertson is the greddiest player going, honestly he would have doubled his goals and so would have Hamilton if Jon new how to hold a ball up or pass it at the right time and the right pass instead of wanting to take 4 guys on every time the team would have done so much better 

28 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

Apologies friend was pissed when I read it, did u see how many clubs played 16 17 year olds yesterday from the start, a lot of the boys realesd were told they'd be kept on if they had kept the reserves,to ur point though how many teams have a number 10 who can do what u would like most games, unfortunately its coached out of them to a degree 

Exactly was quite a few yesterday and its great to see, was good the lad Hamilton got a chance yesterday and regardless of result that ten minutes will build his confidence even more, on the reserves my boy learned more last year on loan at lowland league than playing spfl2 reserves  and some of the coaching leaves a lot to be desired to rigid and not allowed much freedom to Express themselves. Anyway apologise for my initial was written on the bus after being away with saints yesterday and media and beer not a good combination!!

40 minutes ago, sevcozombie2 said:

This season Hamilton and Robertson both ended up on 23 each, my lad assisted on more than half of them, think he got 8 this season, the formation was changed so we could play with two strikers, but Robertson is the greddiest player going, honestly he would have doubled his goals and so would have Hamilton if Jon new how to hold a ball up or pass it at the right time and the right pass instead of wanting to take 4 guys on every time the team would have done so much better 

Sounds like he'll have a decent chance of a career then, and I wish him the best.

It's always a shame when young players dont break through at Saints, we all want them too. Footballs reached a stage where it's rare for it to be in a managers best interests to develop youngsters rather than play players they trust to perform, it's a problem all over the planet. Hopefully your son doesnt get too discouraged.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Sounds like he'll have a decent chance of a career then, and I wish him the best.

It's always a shame when young players dont break through at Saints, we all want them too. Footballs reached a stage where it's rare for it to be in a managers best interests to develop youngsters rather than play players they trust to perform, it's a problem all over the planet. Hopefully your son doesnt get too discouraged.

Randoom, if you’re going to play nice please be consistent across all forums.

11 hours ago, sevcozombie2 said:

Firstly I hope your son is a great success. 

Can I make a suggestion. Whatever Club your son ends up at, or whatever level he ends up playing at, stay off the fans forum or at least if you do go on,  do not  let it be known that you are his dad. Let him make his own way in life and more importantly ENJOY IT!!!

Edited by mainstand

Well now that all that's died down, and since it's a game thread, I guess I'll chip in on that. 

I'm a bit taken aback at some of the views on here berating the team, claiming it wasn't a nothing game, poor season etc. I'm actually with Random in this. 

This was big picture football. Saints were in a position where they could influence the team that went to the playoff with zero - and I can't say this enough, zero - downside to losing the game. 

As a professional manager in that position, Tommy has to look at next season and ask, would we rather have a consistently bang average and relatively poorly financed Hamiltion, or a St Mirren with deeper pockets and some momentum about them? The professional, strategic approach was to do what was best for the club. 

Secondly, Tommy had a golden opportunity to answer some questions, such as;

- Has Hendry got what it takes (still a maybe but he's not the 15 goals guy)

- Should I bin Danny (please yes)

- Can I bring Brian Easton back (maybe)

And probably a few others. 

All this stuff about what the club 'owes' to the supporters is simple to me. To take the best decisions for the long term viability and success of St Johnstone FC. I would say that given Tommy got a free hit yesterday at answering his questions and we came out the other end with no injuries and no suspensions, and we have increased the chances of a weaker leauge next year. 

To have a go at the players and manager is baffling to me. 

I think the majority on here, me included, would prefer to see the back of Hamilton rather than St. Mirren.  Rubbish pitch, the Gretna game, their attitude to the Foster v Swanson title fight to name but a few reasons for that attitude.  Getting that into the players minds would be no easy matter, however.  Although it may not have looked like it I feel sure the players did take to the field ready to do their best but for a start Tommy's selection did not suggest winning the game was a priority then Hamilton with everything to play for came flying out of the blocks.  With the best will in the world the sub conscious mindset would be feck this for a game of soldiers, why start the holidays with an injury for nothing?  I would not over analyse the performance, for our players it was simply a classic end of season game.

30 minutes ago, south inch said:

I think the majority on here, me included, would prefer to see the back of Hamilton rather than St. Mirren.  Rubbish pitch, the Gretna game, their attitude to the Foster v Swanson title fight to name but a few reasons for that attitude.  Getting that into the players minds would be no easy matter, however.  Although it may not have looked like it I feel sure the players did take to the field ready to do their best but for a start Tommy's selection did not suggest winning the game was a priority then Hamilton with everything to play for came flying out of the blocks.  With the best will in the world the sub conscious mindset would be feck this for a game of soldiers, why start the holidays with an injury for nothing?  I would not over analyse the performance, for our players it was simply a classic end of season game.

Agree about the pitch, but the other reasons (though valid) are fan's reasons, not football reasons. Heart, not head.

Also agree that I don't think that we necessarily threw the game but it was very clear that getting the win was not the main item on the agenda, and frankly I agree with that as I think it's just good strategy to increase the chances of less threatening opposition next season and to use the game for other reasons.