Betfred Cup

Cagey

2 minutes ago, akuram said:

Am I glad I decided not to go.

No audio on saints tv is poor, this should have been checked out long before today.

If we don't sign a scoring striker then relegation is a certainty.

Let's evaluate after Ross County. If we get beat, it's looking like a battle with Hamilton this season.  I share your concerns. We have been crying out for a striker for months. 

Sadly we are also letting goals on for fun pre- season. 1 tonight, 2 v Linfield and 3 v ICT...pretty pish in that dept too.

We were never going to win the cup anyway. 

Fkn embarrassment, no top team should ever be beaten by Montrose. 

3 more cup friendlies till we face Celtic.. really looking forward to the start of this season!! I'm more than nervous of what will entail.  I have no confidence.

If the manager or players arent trying to score goals, how are we supposed to get results.

I've gone well into the 80s, and I cant find a single result where we've lost to a team two tiers below us, within 90 minutes, so far.

I looked at 83/84, and 75/76, when we were in the top tier, and there were no examples of it there either. 

The other seasons the league structure was 3 divisions and we were mostly in the bottom two.

Has it ever happened before?

Let's be honest we have been shite for ages. The first half of last season Drey Wright pulled us through. The latter part of the season Gordon helped at the back &Kennedy gave us hope but there is no one in team that can control the ball without it landing 5 yards away. We have no midfielder to feed the one striker that is usually fighting against 2 big central defenders.

Utter sh!t3. You'd never have known which team was 2 divisions above the other. To be fair, Montrose were very good, but equally we were very poor. Goal came about from a slip in defence, but still should be able to deal with it. We just could not get on top of the game in any meaningful way. Looked like our players were afraid to have a shot at goal. There seemed to be no one in the team willing to step up and drag us through the game. 

I'll put it down to a decent opposition on a difficult pitch, but does give me a fear for the season ahead. 

That was dreadful- really poor. Montrose won by simply being organised- can't say they played all that well and yet they matched us the whole game.

We were totally blunt. Hendry was very poor and McMillan was embarrassing when he came on. Swanson tried to create chances, but majority of the time it simply lead to lost possession.

I thought the lad McCann looked completely out his depth- created nothing what so ever and we are in trouble if we are going to be relying on him regularly this season.

Davidson and Callaghan were outshone by Paddy Cregg I'm afraid- there was no difference in quality or level of play.

Sure we have several players to come back- but at points we will have to rely on players on the pitch tonight and they don't look up to the task.

I'd argue we need two strikers to minimise the chances of the bottom three fight I see coming our way. Hendry and McMillan are miles away from what we need. Kane can do a job, but if we go with them three this season I can't see us being above 10th (if we are lucky).

First time in a long, long time I've feared for the season ahead.

31 minutes ago, Jimmy Wallace said:

We were trying to work out on way home if that was worse than Stenhousemuir cup defeat when Sturrock was in charge.  Inconclusive!

1 genuine shot on target.  Not acceptable.

we bought euan Donaldson after that stenny defeat!

Abysmal performance from St Johnstone and a throughly deserved win for Montrose, who were, by a distance, the better team. A result that goes down in the annals as one of the poorest in the club's history, it's potentially the first time we've lost to a team from two leagues below us as a top division team. It seems a long time ago that we used to have no problem in these fixtures under Derek McInnes. 

Forget excuses about the pitch, the injuries, not having a game on Saturday, that just wasn't nearly good enough from those selected.

I'd almost have excused Wallace Duffy but then he screws up for the winning goal. Ali McCann tried his best in a struggling team. Full backs were unadventurous, wingers didn't adapt to the conditions and the two fit strikers we have are hopeless, although one at least still has age on his side and scope to develop. 

Situations like this can be the making of players but Hendry has wilted and McMillan has shown himself to be hopeless. Folk don't like Chris Kane but he's miles ahead of both.

It was really a mix though of established stars (Foster, Tanser, Davidson) not doing enough and fringe players (Callachan,  aforementioned strikers) not taking their chance and leaving questions over their claims for a place. 

Sunday is now a knockout tie for us but one which we are woefully underprepared for. The level by which the performance will need to be improved is almost unquantifiable. 

Nice summer evening at least. 

I,m afraid unless we sign a goalscorer or two we will stuggle badly.Last season when we had some great defensive displays we could not convert many of them into 3 points.Draws that could easily be turned into wins just did not happen and this year will potentially be harder.Not only will this badly affect our standing, it will also adversely affect players morale and dwindling attendances.I know SB has set a tight budget,but he may have to rethink strategy or prepare for a long long season.

How did Kerr do as captain in trying to rally the team to raise their game? I was not overly happy at him being made captain as he is a bit young and not very vocal.

Is this something else that is lacking in the team since we lost Macakay, Wright and Easton they would get in and about the players and get them to raise their game.

I recall a game against Motherwell at home. I think O'Halloran was not long with us he lost the ball outside our penalty box and they scored. Those three went through him like a dose of salts. He then went on to score and set up another. All three praised him on both  occasions and it gave confidence and he raised his game.

Who in our team hands out the bollockins when we are playing below par?

1 minute ago, Johnny B said:

How did Kerr do as captain in trying to rally the team to raise their game? I was not overly happy at him being made captain as he is a bit young and not very vocal.

Is this something else that is lacking in the team since we lost Macakay, Wright and Easton they would get in and about the players and get them to raise their game.

I recall a game against Motherwell at home. I think O'Halloran was not long with us he lost the ball outside our penalty box and they scored. Those three went through him like a dose of salts. He then went on to score and set up another. All three praised him on both  occasions and it gave confidence and he raised his game.

Who in our team hands out the bollockins when we are playing below par?

I cant remember Easton or Mackay ever giving anyone an absolute hounding. Wright sometimes, I'm sure he was the main one at the incident you're on about, whilst Ando does it for the entire match, but more in what he says than how he acts.

Foster and Craig are the only ones who'll chase folk solely to berate them.

It's certainly disappointing, but it was a competitive game.  If we'd lost a friendly against Montrose 1-0 then I doubt there would have been half the response, so maybe it's a wake-up call that the manager, chairman and players needed.  I'd far rather we crashed out of the League Cup embarrassingly and  got our act together in time for the league starting than lost 8-0 to Celtic and then went on to lose our first 5 league games before sorting out the basics.