Betfred Cup

Cagey

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

He sprung an offside trap, as the centre halve near him was standing square on while Kane was running towards goal. 

He gets the ball, runs towards goal, begins to dither. Centre halves start to catch up, keeper comes out to the edge of the box and gets time to set himself, and he blasts it straight at the keeper.

It didn't look like he had too many options to me, or that he over thought it, he just panicked.

A quality striker either hits it earlier, tries to loft it, or tries to dribble past the keeper.

I hear you Random, I wasnt talking about yesterday's incident, but the "begins to dither" you mention is what I mean in general. One on one with the keeper you're starting to think about what he's going to do. You may have a plan to begin with but depending on where he positions himself and defenders catching up you suddenly have a quick decision to make.

So often it's the wrong one.

23 minutes ago, sleepless said:

sounds like 4, could have been 9...

2 chalked off for offside?

It was a training game in the second half. Most of the first half to be fair. We just had far better players and they couldn't really make a game of it. Zander made (I think) one save, from a corner. 

Foster and Kennedy worked well together, we got a good look at McLean (not enough to convince me), Duffy (nothing to fault but he wasn't tested defensively, looks solid on the ball and in the air) young Northcott. 

Matty's goal was an absolute piss-take, but he did really well. Swanson looked good in parts but as usual had moments when he seems to be playing a different game. MOH missed a couple of sitters but his energy was good. 

Brechin were really, really poor but even against them is was almost comical how many balls into the box we put in that were begging for a penalty box striker. 

tldr: bit of fun for a midweek summer evening but nothing to show that our well-known troubles are behind us 

Just a side note, I know it's school holidays but it was great to see the crowd full of kids tonight. 

32 minutes ago, sasha said:

I need to laugh, there was 4/5 under 19s playing for Brechin tonight on £75 a week. 

Well done Saints the season starts here..........

Does that have any real relevance. Are we going to use that excuse against Celtic our players are on less than their players??

From my view I thought we played some excellent stuff tonight and yes it was fairly one sided but that was only down to us playing well. 

Just look at some of the scores and shocks with other teams hearts 2 1 against stenhousemuir bet there players were ona lot less than 75 quid. 

Good win, plenty of entertaining football, good goals spread amongst the strikers and Tanser the penalty king. No complaints here - sure Brechin were as poor as side as we're likely to play but we still had to go win the game. Defence looked solid with Duffy slotting in well. Thought Kyle was excellent in midfield and up front Kane took his goal well and was unlucky (along with MOH) on another couple of occasions.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, templeofsaints said:

Its strange but I think that's one of the few times I can remember Tommy letting his anger show like that - maybe the pressure is getting to him but he usually seems to keep his temper until the dressing room.

As for the game the first 20 mins we were excellent and a bit more composure and we'd have been cruising. The pen we conceded was soft and even then Zander made a good save but no one was there to clear the rebound (ISTR Tommy berating Ando for it in the aftermath). 2nd goal was a good finish from them but another soft goal to lose and at a bad time in the game.

We're not a bad side - there are players who aren't good enough to manage the responsibilities they've been given on their own (e.g. Kane) and there are players who aren't putting the effort in (looking at you Swanson). But we're not far away from having a good attacking side - I thought Mikey looked a lot sharper yesterday and Kennedy seems to be over his injury. 

Hopefully  a couple of new faces this week, a couple of good wins in the last 2 group games and we'll be more than ready for the league campaign.

Sitting behind the dugout and seeing/hearing him every week I think last night was one of the few times that Tommy has remained in the dugout stting watching the game, letting the players make decisions on the field. 

38 minutes ago, St Mikey said:

Looking at the tables, we should let Forfar beat us. Potentially that knocks United out the cup and potentially Dundee if they don't get a win v ICT on Saturday.

Do we play for ourselves or put both Dundee clubs out the cup as 4 of the best runners ups?

May (no pun intended) as well play a few youngsters plus senior players looking to get some minutes under their belt.