Betfred Cup

Cagey

Just now, slf said:

Ha ha . Your a true saintee

12 minutes ago, south inch said:

Had we qualified instead of County with our luck we would probably have drawn Hamilton at whatever they are calling their ground this year, got kicked off the park and lost to an Alston goal!

Ye ken the crack .

56 minutes ago, Stumpy1966 said:

Everyone talks about just needing a striker in. With the service that the strikers are getting Messi would struggle to score.

I haven't seen any of our games in this competition so I have to ask - how can that possibly be the case in a squad with Kennedy, MOH and Swanson?

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

It has to be. Broon has been at every match this season, and offered May a record wage. The moneys there to get a quality striker.

I wish I could share your confidence in that, but given the strikers available at this stage of pre-season, Saints' limited pulling power and Tommy's track record in finding players for that position, I really worry about who we'll manage to get if it's not May. Let's not forget May is a special case - he wanted to come to Saints because he has a connection to the club. Were that not the case, it's highly unlikely Saints would ever have been his choice. Tommy is going to seriously have to pull a major surprise out of the bag to find us a striker of significant quality.

Very poor stuff, regardless who was playing for us should have enough to win these games, but 3 points out of that group isn’t good enough. Couldn’t give anyone pass marks, Swanson worked hard and looked more like it, the rest slow on the ball, lack of movement, lack of desire you name it. Couldn’t even be arsed to acknowledge the support at the end, maybe embarrassed or maybe don’t give a fook.

Keeper wasn’t great, Kerr shadow of the player last season, Craig age beginning to show, all the young guys are not near ready based on that, only young norcroft showed a desire and try to take the game to Forfar. Kane gets pelters but is hendry any better don’t see it and is not a lone striker.

hope they prove me wrong and will still be there next Saturday but based on games so far heart ruling the head at the moment, but this club has proved us all wrong over the years 

17 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Very poor stuff, regardless who was playing for us should have enough to win these games, but 3 points out of that group isn’t good enough. Couldn’t give anyone pass marks, Swanson worked hard and looked more like it, the rest slow on the ball, lack of movement, lack of desire you name it. Couldn’t even be arsed to acknowledge the support at the end, maybe embarrassed or maybe don’t give a fook.

Keeper wasn’t great, Kerr shadow of the player last season, Craig age beginning to show, all the young guys are not near ready based on that, only young norcroft showed a desire and try to take the game to Forfar. Kane gets pelters but is hendry any better don’t see it and is not a lone striker.

hope they prove me wrong and will still be there next Saturday but based on games so far heart ruling the head at the moment, but this club has proved us all wrong over the years 

Was it raining

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I haven't seen any of our games in this competition so I have to ask - how can that possibly be the case in a squad with Kennedy, MOH and Swanson?

You are right to ask that, as it's utter nonsense. 

Balls across the line and nobody on the end of crosses,  wingers (MOH and Swanson) missing chances and Kane / Hendry not being effective and again, missing chances. 

That's what our preseason has been. 

We actually need 2 strikers. 

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Great FREE highlights from WEE forfar.

Good luck to Jim Weir,Andy Jackson & Gary Irvine in next round.

I think Saints have their SaintsTV package wrong.

Greatly needed for overseas and to be able to watch live matches, that part is fine, but to hide highlights and interviews away for only the few who pay to see seems silly to me. 

Surely these are things that promote the club, show the goals against Brechin, let everyone hear the interviews, use the clips to advertise the next game or events at McDiarmid.

I have no idea numbers, how many people pay for SaintsTV ? I suspect not that many Perth based people but could be wrong.

21 minutes ago, Strawman said:

I think Saints have their SaintsTV package wrong.

Greatly needed for overseas and to be able to watch live matches, that part is fine, but to hide highlights and interviews away for only the few who pay to see seems silly to me. 

Surely these are things that promote the club, show the goals against Brechin, let everyone hear the interviews, use the clips to advertise the next game or events at McDiarmid.

I have no idea numbers, how many people pay for SaintsTV ? I suspect not that many Perth based people but could be wrong.

If there’s a way to get it wrong this is it. It’s not as if we’ve 000’s of fans going to sign up. In this respect many smaller clubs put us to shame.

5 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

We created nothing yesterday. I counted 1 shot on goal. 

That seems to be the average for most games.

Is that down to strikers being shyte or them not getting the ammunition?.

Hopefully they learned from Montrose & Forfar how to deal with a team that are 2 divisions ahead of you when they play Celtic next week.

I can only comment from the Montrose and Brechin games as well as last season, but Hendry is a million miles away from being a Premiership standard player. Kane is a good option as a back up, but no more, and McMillan is now a complete waste of space.

It's vital we add two strikers for this season or we are in serious trouble.

1 hour ago, SlickDT said:

I can only comment from the Montrose and Brechin games as well as last season, but Hendry is a million miles away from being a Premiership standard player. Kane is a good option as a back up, but no more, and McMillan is now a complete waste of space.

It's vital we add two strikers for this season or we are in serious trouble.

Pretty much agree with that, although think Kane would also benefit from the weight of expectation off his shoulders. And I think we'll get just one striker. So if they don't click then we are in trouble. 

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

Pretty much agree with that, although think Kane would also benefit from the weight of expectation off his shoulders. And I think we'll get just one striker. So if they don't click then we are in trouble. 

I reckon we will add a better known striker and then a younger unproven loan from down south as a punt.

Before Kane left for QOS I remember thinking if he could only just increase his strength and give himself the ability to occupy defenders he could be a real asset..... To be fair he has done that, but now I feel alot of his good work is done when playing deep with his back to the goal.... That unfortunately doesn't help much when playing in a 4-5-1 with a lack of goals.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Half right.

We created very little at Montrose and Forfar, but should have scored 4 or 5 against County with the clear cut chances we had, and about 8 against Brechin.

I was meaning over the past season

26 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

What happened with McMillan? Was there a falling out or something? 

When he came into into the team, he was scoring goals was he not? Then he disappeared out on loan. 

Got a bad one from goalie in first game after looking good. Done little since he came back from injury but like Kane he is not a sole striker. I assume if we played May like that ,the result would be the same.

34 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

What happened with McMillan? Was there a falling out or something? 

When he came into into the team, he was scoring goals was he not? Then he disappeared out on loan. 

Played at the start of last season beside Watt, getting two goals and two assists in 3 games.

Dropped out the side away to Rangers as we went one up top. Came back into the side against Hearts and Celtic and looked miles away, got injured against Motherwell, and I think the team then caught fire and there was no reason to change things. Finally got a start again against Motherwell and didn't do anything. 

Obviously moved to Hamilton in January, assume he was angling for first team football, and at that point we probably still held hope Watt would be staying, which made him 3rd choice and probably on a decent wedge, we then signed O'Halloran aswell.

He then went a struggling Hamilton where he could only earn two starts, and didn't manage a single goal in 8 appearances.

Can we close this thread in hope that it vanishes from history and never be cast back up with new posts.

A new one can be created next year and we'll never be reminded by this absolute embarrassment of a league cup qualifier campaign, aka Scotlandesq 

2019 league cup perfornances gtf!  Forget and look forward.   Mickey Mouse cup anyways.