Sign in to follow this  
Cagey

Betfred Cup

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dave H said:

Montrose away, Ross County home.

2 defeats - fkn shyte!

20190721_194405.jpg

IF County beat Forfar on Wednesday & we beat Brechin & Forfar by big scores I think we could still qualify.

Don't think we will though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cagey said:

IF County beat Forfar on Wednesday & we beat Brechin & Forfar by big scores I think we could still qualify.

Don't think we will though.

You can't qualify on 6 points. 

Only the best four (?) second placed teams go through,

We're out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

You can't qualify on 6 points. 

Only the best four (?) second placed teams go through,

We're out.

OK I thought it was all second placed. It wasn't going to happen anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope in the cold light of day a few people reflect more reasonably about our performance yesterday. I thought we looked bright early on and I was reasonably happy with the effort. Of course the the two Ross goals changed the whole complexion of the game and we just couldn't get started in the second period.

Every team and their dog is looking for that elusive striker to start banging in goals and we are in that same boat but I will say that some of the negativity surrounding Kane is well out of order. The lad knew he should have scored when put through and he must have felt as low as you can get when pulled. He has plenty to offer this team and like all players confidence is the key. 

There is so much doom and gloom surrounding the site just now and we better pull out of it soon or we really will be in desperate battle to stay in the league.

Come on guys- we have a quality manger who has steered us through  troubled waters before and we still have the bones of a good side lets start looking a bit more positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I hope in the cold light of day a few people reflect more reasonably about our performance yesterday. I thought we looked bright early on and I was reasonably happy with the effort. Of course the the two Ross goals changed the whole complexion of the game and we just couldn't get started in the second period.

Every team and their dog is looking for that elusive striker to start banging in goals and we are in that same boat but I will say that some of the negativity surrounding Kane is well out of order. The lad knew he should have scored when put through and he must have felt as low as you can get when pulled. He has plenty to offer this team and like all players confidence is the key. 

There is so much doom and gloom surrounding the site just now and we better pull out of it soon or we really will be in desperate battle to stay in the league.

Come on guys- we have a quality manger who has steered us through  troubled waters before and we still have the bones of a good side lets start looking a bit more positive.

It’s true this morning for me. I’ve reflected more on it and come to the conclusion some players need to leave. 

Montrose beat us fair and square, that is completely unforgivable. Two booted balls through the middle of our team for their two goals yesterday were unforgivable. 

We need a striker yes but County have a guy who took his chances yesterday which were far more difficult than Kane’s one on one. The negativity towards Kane is due to his continual lack of composure and ability to finish easier chances off. It’s not good enough having 13 goals out of 83 games. That’s a return I’d expect from a midfielder. 

Irrespective if we smash Forfar and Brechin both 8-0, the start to this season has highlighted more frailties than positives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we could play like the first 20 mins for the majority of the season we will be fine. Maybe a concern that heads dropped too much when we conceded the penalty. Their penalty was soft and Kane really should have put the one on one away. Small margins and while concerns there, equally, I genuinely don't think we are as bad as it may seem.

A proper goal scorer on that pitch yesterday and we'd have won that game.

Anderson looked rusty and maybe a year too many now, but could still do a job over the course of the season. Especially in the winter months when we need to dig deep.

Yes, we are on the slide a bit, but did anyone expect anything else? We cannot compete financially and everyone else around us has got their act together financially, so the reality is that we are competing with Championship clubs and the bottom premier clubs for players. This dip was always going to happen at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

BT Sport managed to capture the footage of our striker coach in action yesterday :laugh:

 

 

Its strange but I think that's one of the few times I can remember Tommy letting his anger show like that - maybe the pressure is getting to him but he usually seems to keep his temper until the dressing room.

As for the game the first 20 mins we were excellent and a bit more composure and we'd have been cruising. The pen we conceded was soft and even then Zander made a good save but no one was there to clear the rebound (ISTR Tommy berating Ando for it in the aftermath). 2nd goal was a good finish from them but another soft goal to lose and at a bad time in the game.

We're not a bad side - there are players who aren't good enough to manage the responsibilities they've been given on their own (e.g. Kane) and there are players who aren't putting the effort in (looking at you Swanson). But we're not far away from having a good attacking side - I thought Mikey looked a lot sharper yesterday and Kennedy seems to be over his injury. 

Hopefully  a couple of new faces this week, a couple of good wins in the last 2 group games and we'll be more than ready for the league campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

If we could play like the first 20 mins for the majority of the season we will be fine. Maybe a concern that heads dropped too much when we conceded the penalty. Their penalty was soft and Kane really should have put the one on one away. Small margins and while concerns there, equally, I genuinely don't think we are as bad as it may seem.

A proper goal scorer on that pitch yesterday and we'd have won that game.

Anderson looked rusty and maybe a year too many now, but could still do a job over the course of the season. Especially in the winter months when we need to dig deep.

Yes, we are on the slide a bit, but did anyone expect anything else? We cannot compete financially and everyone else around us has got their act together financially, so the reality is that we are competing with Championship clubs and the bottom premier clubs for players. This dip was always going to happen at some point. 

I think every game we have played this season we have been good for first 20 mins.

A lot has been said about Kane not beating the goalie on the one to one but not sure what the stats are on one to ones with the goalie . Sure the goalie comes out well on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

BT Sport managed to capture the footage of our striker coach in action yesterday :laugh:

 

 

Think this was when Kane failed to beat the goalie & he made the quickest sub I have ever seen Tommy make. Maybe he should have done it when Danny missed his open goal or when he cut back when through on goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Think this was when Kane failed to beat the goalie & he made the quickest sub I have ever seen Tommy make. Maybe he should have done it when Danny missed his open goal or when he cut back when through on goal.

Sub was already on the touchline getting instruction and the 4th official had been notified before Kanes effort.In his defence he is a hard working offensive player but he doesnt score many goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kilgour said:

Sub was already on the touchline getting instruction and the 4th official had been notified before Kanes effort.In his defence he is a hard working offensive player but he doesnt score many goals.

Bang on Rab, He puts a power of work in and unsettles defenses. If anyone thinks berating a young player they are so wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, St Mikey said:

It’s true this morning for me. I’ve reflected more on it and come to the conclusion some players need to leave. 

Montrose beat us fair and square, that is completely unforgivable. Two booted balls through the middle of our team for their two goals yesterday were unforgivable. 

We need a striker yes but County have a guy who took his chances yesterday which were far more difficult than Kane’s one on one. The negativity towards Kane is due to his continual lack of composure and ability to finish easier chances off. It’s not good enough having 13 goals out of 83 games. That’s a return I’d expect from a midfielder. 

Irrespective if we smash Forfar and Brechin both 8-0, the start to this season has highlighted more frailties than positives. 

By all means criticise Kane but get your facts right don’t make them fit your argument. To say McKays chances were more difficult when he couldn’t score when the ball was stationary on the penalty spot with only the goalkeeper to beat when he isn’t aloud to move off his line is just ridiculous.

Edited by Stumpy1966

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kilgour said:

Sub was already on the touchline getting instruction and the 4th official had been notified before Kanes effort.In his defence he is a hard working offensive player but he doesnt score many goals.

Everything you say here is correct.  Kane works hard, always gives 100% and he caresBut as you say "he doesn't score many goals" and he is listed as a striker.  Perhaps we should not give up on him yet, especially when there are guys like Swanson and McMillan ahead of him to be shown the door, if we sign a new striker as promised maybe we should use him as an impact sub when his pace could have more effect against tired defenders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, south inch said:

Everything you say here is correct.  Kane works hard, always gives 100% and he caresBut as you say "he doesn't score many goals" and he is listed as a striker.  Perhaps we should not give up on him yet, especially when there are guys like Swanson and McMillan ahead of him to be shown the door, if we sign a new striker as promised maybe we should use him as an impact sub when his pace could have more effect against tired defenders.

How many more years do you think we should give Kane?   Working hard and caring should be obligatory qualities.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, south inch said:

Everything you say here is correct.  Kane works hard, always gives 100% and he caresBut as you say "he doesn't score many goals" and he is listed as a striker.  Perhaps we should not give up on him yet, especially when there are guys like Swanson and McMillan ahead of him to be shown the door, if we sign a new striker as promised maybe we should use him as an impact sub when his pace could have more effect against tired defenders.

I'd be OK with that. In many ways it's a repeat of the Tony Watt situation. I've felt that we've missed his hold up play and quality on the ball this season but he wasn't scoring, so had to go. Kane has a lot of good qualities and I've just re-watched the first half from yesterday again and my view is that if he can be re-purposed to sit behind the strikers with less pressure on him as lone frontman, he'll do better. 

We play too much long ball for him. He's not strong enough in the air or at holding up/holding off centre backs for that role, never mind his lack of finishing ability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stumpy1966 said:

By all means criticise Kane but get your facts right don’t make them fit your argument. To say McKays chances were more difficult when he couldn’t score when the ball was stationary on the penalty spot with only the goalkeeper to beat when he isn’t aloud to move off his line is just ridiculous.

Aye ok then. 

Penalty was saved but was quick enough to score the rebound. The second for McKay was far more difficult to score than Kane’s 1 on 1 hands down. Kane had 45 yards with no defenders near him to decide what to do and hit it straight at the keeper. Why did he not get close and knock it to the side and slot it home?

McKays second was good movement, run through the defence and had composure to score. 

For all saying it’s harsh on Kane that’s your opinion and your entitled to it as an i for being annoyed at a guy, who as a professional player coming close to 25 years old is not finishing these chances off. What sort of training goes on for the strikers because it appears to be not a great deal. 

We scored a goal a game in the league last season. That’s disgraceful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, St Mikey said:

Aye ok then. 

Penalty was saved but was quick enough to score the rebound. The second for McKay was far more difficult to score than Kane’s 1 on 1 hands down. Kane had 45 yards with no defenders near him to decide what to do and hit it straight at the keeper. Why did he not get close and knock it to the side and slot it home?

McKays second was good movement, run through the defence and had composure to score. 

For all saying it’s harsh on Kane that’s your opinion and your entitled to it as an i for being annoyed at a guy, who as a professional player coming close to 25 years old is not finishing these chances off. What sort of training goes on for the strikers because it appears to be not a great deal. 

We scored a goal a game in the league last season. That’s disgraceful. 

I just feel everybody jumps on Kane’s back. I would say that MOH miss and Danny’s 2 were worse. As you say everyone to their own opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stumpy1966 said:

I just feel everybody jumps on Kane’s back. I would say that MOH miss and Danny’s 2 were worse. As you say everyone to their own opinion. 

Just watched back the 1st half and live at the game I hadn't realised just how bad MOH's second miss was. Really, really poor. Shame as I don't think he had a terrible game. His first looked easier live than I think it was, it was a tough angle.

Both Swanson's were bad misses, but his penalty was nailed on. Absolute nonsense that wasn't given. If the referee didn't get a good view the linesman could clearly see it. 

None of which has any real bearing on the Kane discussion to be fair, other than to emphasise was can't be relying on goals from midfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, St Mikey said:

Aye ok then. 

Penalty was saved but was quick enough to score the rebound. The second for McKay was far more difficult to score than Kane’s 1 on 1 hands down. Kane had 45 yards with no defenders near him to decide what to do and hit it straight at the keeper. Why did he not get close and knock it to the side and slot it home?

McKays second was good movement, run through the defence and had composure to score. 

For all saying it’s harsh on Kane that’s your opinion and your entitled to it as an i for being annoyed at a guy, who as a professional player coming close to 25 years old is not finishing these chances off. What sort of training goes on for the strikers because it appears to be not a great deal. 

We scored a goal a game in the league last season. That’s disgraceful. 

2 things.1.He outpaced 2 defenders over 45 yards.

2 . They say that the longer a striker has to think about it the harder it is to decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cagey said:

2 things.1.He outpaced 2 defenders over 45 yards.

2 . They say that the longer a striker has to think about it the harder it is to decide.

I cannot comment on point one cos I wasn't there.

Your second point is absolutely correct, clean through on the keeper you've too much time to think about it and if the goalie comes out to the edge of the box and spreads his arms you can't even see the goal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cristo said:

I cannot comment on point one cos I wasn't there.

Your second point is absolutely correct, clean through on the keeper you've too much time to think about it and if the goalie comes out to the edge of the box and spreads his arms you can't even see the goal.

He sprung an offside trap, as the centre halve near him was standing square on while Kane was running towards goal. 

He gets the ball, runs towards goal, begins to dither. Centre halves start to catch up, keeper comes out to the edge of the box and gets time to set himself, and he blasts it straight at the keeper.

It didn't look like he had too many options to me, or that he over thought it, he just panicked.

A quality striker either hits it earlier, tries to loft it, or tries to dribble past the keeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this