Woman’s world cup

541ntees

Decent first game. Don’t think we deserved a draw, it could have been 5 - 0 at HT. The second teams AND the four best third teams go through, so if we play to our level against Argentina and Japan we should go through. Enjoyed the game. I think it’s got a long way to go, but I noticed the goalies in particular are getting a bit less awful. What seems to be missing most is technique and physicality, and both can be worked on.

12 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Decent first game. Don’t think we deserved a draw, it could have been 5 - 0 at HT. The second teams AND the four best third teams go through, so if we play to our level against Argentina and Japan we should go through. Enjoyed the game. I think it’s got a long way to go, but I noticed the goalies in particular are getting a bit less awful. What seems to be missing most is technique and physicality, and both can be worked on.

Just watched Canada score against Cameroon and thought about qualifying your remark about goalies to "some" goalies.  But then I remembered a certain male goalie who made a similar mess of coming for a corner and I thought give the lassie a break at least she knew she had made the wrong call and did not try to pretend she had been hit by a number 10 bus to cover it up.

I want more coverage on the BBC for the men's curling team, the women hog the limelight, and this women's football.....USED to be good, until they learned to copy the men with all the rolling about, goal celebrations when they are winning 12-0 and all that...... game's gone I tell ya :)

36 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Never got the breaks but only themselves to blame for losing a 3 goal lead.

Absolutely. Criminal to be losing from that position with 20 mins to go. Felt that Kerr should have freshened the team up earlier as some of them looked as slow as Roddy in the second half! Been a bit naive tactically all tournament I feel 

Cuthbert a cracking wee player.

As for VAR - I hope everyone who lobbied for it to be introduced has been watching the utter shambles it's created in this tournament.  

Anther stupid handball in the Sweden Canada game last night - thankfully the keeper saved it.

going back to the Scotland game var just about got the right decisions and I was under the impression that keepers weren’t allowed to move off their line anyway?

even if var does help get the right decisions here’s my main gripe-

one of the best feelings in life is when your team hits the back of the net, it’s now getting to the point that when your team scores there’s no point in celebrating cos there gonna check it and a good chance it doesn’t count

Yes the problem with the new rules and VAR is they judge it to a millimetre. If the keeper doesn't have a part of their foot in line with the goal line then a retake is ordered. Seems they haven't bothered checking players encroaching into the box though, unless that rule has been scrapped?

I am not a fan of VAR but the standard of officiating at the world cup really hasn't help matters. When that is combined with some awful new rules it really kills the game for me.

Commentator on the England v Norway game remarked that the standard of refereeing in this World Cup is dramatically better than at the last one 4 years ago.  So it must be possible to be worse than feckin awful then!

Mind you I do remember one incident where a player successfully argued against being booked for handling the ball in the penalty area on the rather novel grounds that she was the goalkeeper.